Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Montgomery County - No in person classes until January 2021

I seriously think Defund MCPS should be a thing now. Seriously. Reallocate some of that money, say 25% and send checks to parents of school age kids that will now be doing their jobs and paying for care for their kids so they can work.

I won't hold my breath on that one.
    -"You are about to enter a world of pain."

Re: Montgomery County - No in person classes until January 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Moe the Crow View Post
    I seriously think Defund MCPS should be a thing now. Seriously. Reallocate some of that money, say 25% and send checks to parents of school age kids that will now be doing their jobs and paying for care for their kids so they can work.

I won't hold my breath on that one.
    I woild certainly be curious to see the costs to cyber-school a child vs in person for the school system. It can’t cost more than half could it?

I have seen it quoted on the board that Balt City pays $17k per kid. Distance learning can’t be more than $5k /yr could it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I woild certainly be curious to see the costs to cyber-school a child vs in person for the school system. It can’t cost more than half could it?

I have seen it quoted on the board that Balt City pays $17k per kid. Distance learning can’t be more than $5k /yr could it?

I would be shocked if it's not drastically more than that, unless the school system decides they won't maintain buildings during online school or something. Not like a company that can break a lease after all.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Same with Harford County.

“When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

It's the quality of the education that I have a problem with. There is also the issue that you can't work when you are herding your own kids. Last spring was awful. The software they used was awful, some teachers were not so good at posting their lessons in a timely manner. I will wait and see what is done this fall before passing final judgment but I'm not optimistic it will be any better than what we got last year, which is not something I would pay for and if I did it would be very little.

I'm worried about the long term impact this will have on my kids education and preparedness for college etc..
    -"You are about to enter a world of pain."

Quote Originally Posted by Moe the Crow View Post
    It's the quality of the education that I have a problem with. There is also the issue that you can't work when you are herding your own kids. Last spring was awful. The software they used was awful, some teachers were not so good at posting their lessons in a timely manner. I will wait and see what is done this fall before passing final judgment but I'm not optimistic it will be any better than what we got last year, which is not something I would pay for and if I did it would be very little.

I'm worried about the long term impact this will have on my kids education and preparedness for college etc..
    Oh I totally understand the very real concerns that actually affect parents of school age children.
    Mine was simply more of a curiosity offshoot.

I hate teaching online classes but we're doing about half-and-half this semester. It seems like kids aren't as focused when we're not in front of them.

I had to take an online class way back in the day. Got the syllabus and read everything I was supposed to, wound up making an A. Found out AFTER the semester that the professor had posted three lectures a week. I never saw one.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Regardless of the lack of education during remote learning, everyone is still getting full pay

My wife is a teacher. She was required to be available for kids to video call if they had questions. She had to pick two 90 min windows each week

All lessons were provided ( she altered all of them)
    No grading

So teachers could get by with working a few hours a week. And if you go on the teacher blogs, they have two big issues they constantly complain about
    1. Don’t want to go back to school
    2. They want more money

I think remote learning is actually costing the counties more money

No salary cuts
    No furloughs
    No benefits Cuts
    Still paying for admin
    Still paying for buildings
    Still paying for electricity
    Still doing free breakfast and lunch
    But now the county has to provide free internet to anyone that doesn’t have it. Free chrome books for students and teachers to anyone that wants one

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    Regardless of the lack of education during remote learning, everyone is still getting full pay

My wife is a teacher. She was required to be available for kids to video call if they had questions. She had to pick two 90 min windows each week

No grading

So teachers could get by with working a few hours a week. And if you go on the teacher blogs, they have two big issues they constantly complain about
    2. They want more money

No salary cuts
    No furloughs
    No benefits Cuts
    Still paying for admin
    But now the county has to provide free internet to anyone that doesn’t have it. Free chrome books for students and teachers to anyone that wants one

Hopefully the building & electric costs should be down. Less cleaning & maintenance, lights off, etc. People will still get paid. I always thought the breakfast & lunch had to do with parents working. If you're home, eat at home.

No grading

2. They want more money

No salary cuts
    No furloughs
    No benefits Cuts
    Still paying for admin
    Trade the computers out for the normal supplies and that should pretty well equal out. What schools spend on copies alone is staggering.
    Building expenses should be down 90% including support staff. I know someone mentioned schools can’t get out of leases... they are municipal owned. They don’t have rent. Who would they pay?

So it probably is more than half, but has to be far cheaper.

And this is beyond those of you saying that they are providing half the quality of education at best.

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    I hate teaching online classes but we're doing about half-and-half this semester. It seems like kids aren't as focused when we're not in front of them.

I had to take an online class way back in the day. Got the syllabus and read everything I was supposed to, wound up making an A. Found out AFTER the semester that the professor had posted three lectures a week. I never saw one.
    I could see that. Remote meetings are killing me from a focus perspective at work. A lot harder to stay focused when you're not face to face... Especially discussions where there's no visual component.

No grading

2. They want more money

No salary cuts
    No furloughs
    No benefits Cuts
    Still paying for admin
    So has your wife gotten any information on what they're changing for the fall in terms of approach? The spring sucked, but got a little better as it went, at least for my kids. However, with more than two weeks to plan, I can't imagine them rolling out the same program.

That stimulus check was actually pretty clutch on your last point. Was able to pick up a couple $300 laptops for the kids to use.