Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Democratic Party moves farther left - Elliot Engel Out

This is similar to AOC's win in that the guy is a political novice/upstart and is going to be much farther left than the person he's replacing. Also I'd be remiss if I did not point out he's a person of color.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bow...engel-new-york

I think Pelosi's job just got a little harder.

If Democrats manage to sweep congress this Fall there will be some really, really far left legislation being crafted and pushed. With no veto power we could see that transformation Joe is talking about.

Blog Entries

Re: Democratic Party moves farther left - Elliot Engel Out

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    This is similar to AOC's win in that the guy is a political novice/upstart and is going to be much farther left than the person he's replacing. Also I'd be remiss if I did not point out he's a person of color.

If Democrats manage to sweep congress this Fall there will be some really, really far left legislation being crafted and pushed. With no veto power we could see that transformation Joe is talking about.
    Everyone should have known that was going to happen though.

Engel's dumbazz was caught on a hot mic saying something to the affect of "I'm only here because it's election season, otherwise I wouldn't care"....

Bowman's politics are definitely moving towards the extreme left, but frankly people like Engel are a huge part of the problem in that DC "Establishment/Swamp" culture. Fuck him.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post

This is beautiful. Now all we need is for Pelosi to lose her seat and we can really start to get to cookin'. I actually have hope for the country now.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

Engel's dumbazz was caught on a hot mic saying something to the affect of "I'm only here because it's election season, otherwise I wouldn't care"....

Bowman's politics are definitely moving towards the extreme left, but frankly people like Engel are a huge part of the problem in that DC "Establishment/Swamp" culture. Fuck him.
    This should be shouted from the hilltops. If there is anything the right and left should agree on, is that these Schumer, Engel, Pelosi types need to be exposed and shown the door. It's about time.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

We need more moderates though. Not less. When we start seeing hard right and left candidates getting elected that just means a lot of instability and gridlock.

Quote Originally Posted by bandc View Post
    This should be shouted from the hilltops. If there is anything the right and left should agree on, is that these Schumer, Engel, Pelosi types need to be exposed and shown the door. It's about time.
    Strangely, I don't think we disagree to a large extent on what constitutes the problem.

I think our conflict arises on solutions.

You seem to think that the solution to bad government is more government.

I believe that power corrupts... and that small government is the only antidote.

I dream of term limits....
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    Strangely, I don't think we disagree to a large extent on what constitutes the problem.

I think our conflict arises on solutions.

You seem to think that the solution to bad government is more government.

I believe that power corrupts... and that small government is the only antidote.
    Honestly... in the grand scheme of things, this guy will be about as effective as AOC... which is "not at all". You cannot put foolish idealogues in congress and expect change. Basically this districts progressive base decided they didn't want a seat at the table, and like AOCs district, they will all suffer for it.

What these people don't realize is that, while a reprehensible dirtbag... Engle was likely able to funnel federal money into his district. But now, with some blowhard buffoon in that seat, you really think anyone that matters is even going to let legislation touch his desk? AOC hasn't been able to earmark one successful bill in congress because they know the second she touches it, it's going nowhere. She'll grab her best bill-writing crayon and try to earmark a cajillion dollars for cow farts, or shove a drawing she made during recess in the pile, and then it will get summarily thrown in the shredder of things that will never see a motion.

Do we need to replace people like Engle... yes... absolutely. I agree wholeheartedly that people like him ARE a problem. But we have a more choices than just column A: Swampmonster and column B: Progressive nutjob. There ARE intelligent moderates out there.
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else." -Margaret Mead

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    I dream of a return to government that lives within the bounds of the powers specifically enumerated in the Constitution.

The founders understood the propensity for power and graft to corrupt, and so placed limits on their power for a reason.

The Constitutional Chains that used to bind government began to rust not long after they were forged.

There's nothing left of them.

Blog Entries

The demographics of that district have changed dramatically in recent years. Engel is old and white, while the district he represents is younger and racially diverse. Engel has been in Congress for 31 years.

This is a progressive beating a moderate Democrat in a progressive district. No different from a conservative beating a moderate Republican in a conservative district. Nothing more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    The demographics of that district have changed dramatically in recent years. Engel is old and white, while the district he represents is younger and racially diverse. Engel has been in Congress for 31 years.

This is a progressive beating a moderate Democrat in a progressive district. No different from a conservative beating a moderate Republican in a conservative district. Nothing more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is what it is. A moderate being replaced by someone closer to the "extreme" wing of the party, pulling the party a little bit out with them.

These are the type of people that can't compromise which sometimes is needed to get things done. It's just more polarization.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post

LOL esmd, actually I (like BustOfPallas) dream of more moderates...

and term limits "YES" that too... Bc