Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Biden endorses Unity Platform, incuding Free Healthcare for Illegals, $15 Minimum Wage, Reparations, Halt to all deportat

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    Maybe you're not quite getting the idea of a minimum wage... but it would apply to EVERY business.

Whether they're the "right" business or not.
    No I get it. And like I said before ...I’m against a Federal Min Wage of $15.

Jon had said that “ no cashiers were worth $15 hr “. I was simply pointing out that some apparently are. Those stores i mentioned are collectively bargained. So no real need for a “minimum wage”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Biden endorses Unity Platform, incuding Free Healthcare for Illegals, $15 Minimum Wage, Reparations, Halt to all deportat

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    I agree w/letting the market determine wages in those cases, as it currently does, but not having a $15/hr minimum wage across the board. In many jobs, right now, that's too high.
    Agreed.

Not sure if you are serious or not w/that. Anyway, since it hasn't been done for so long, IMO that would do no good. I'd be in favor of raising it to say, $10/hr right now (which is where it should be) then every five years or so, check what the inflation rate has been and raise it again. Or, the CPI. Just do something. I really can't grasp why anyone that favors keeping it where it currently is would like to have had their own wages stay the same, while everyone else around them gets raises or at least gets a COL increase. Sorry, but I gotta give the ol' SMH to that thinking.
    You know up here in “Boarder Yankee land ( Md/De ) “ min wage is $11 hr now. So with that in mind ...I’d agree with what you have here. Leave it at $11 ( which is still high for say ..fast food IMHO) but it’s decent for a laborer or warehouse worker with zero to minimum skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    No I get it. And like I said before ...I’m against a Federal Min Wage of $15.

Jon had said that “ no cashiers were worth $15 hr “. I was simply pointing out that some apparently are. Those stores i mentioned are collectively bargained. So no real need for a “minimum wage”.

Ah... OK. (misread you)

5. Re: Biden endorses Unity Platform, incuding Free Healthcare for Illegals, $15 Minimum Wage, Reparations, Halt to all deportat

You know up here in “Boarder Yankee land ( Md/De ) “ min wage is $11 hr now. So with that in mind ...I’d agree with what you have here. Leave it at $11 ( which is still high for say ..fast food IMHO) but it’s decent for a laborer or warehouse worker with zero to minimum skills.

I agree that it should be that high there and I think all or most posters are all on the same page here. Meanwhile in this area, as is probably the same elsewhere, we have places like the dollar stores still offering people around $9/hr and can't figure out why they can't find and/or keep employees. They do six hour shifts. I feel so bad for the manager. He works his freakin' tail off and can't find anyone to come help stock shelves, etc. Knowing how they treat people, he's probably making around $12-13/hr. He runs around like a one-legged man in an ass kickin' contest all day long. Sad.
    Last edited by blueridgemtnman; 07-12-2020 at 08:16 AM.

I agree w/letting the market determine wages in those cases, as it currently does, but not having a $15/hr minimum wage across the board. In many jobs, right now, that's too high.
    And if you pay attention to food prices. They are going up much faster than inflation.

I used to drink orange juice every morning. 10 years ago. Tropicana pure premium was $2.50 for 64 ounces. Then they changed the size to 58oz. And maybe two years ago, to 52oz. Oh. And the price is now close to $5

So in 10 years years, orange juice has gone from .039 cents per ounce to .096 cents per ounce. This is largely correlated to wages going up.

So 10 years later, and the left feels great that the min wages has gone up, but none of them have looked past the headlines. Higher min wages will always raise prices.

I agree that it should be that high there and I think all or most posters are all on the same page here. Meanwhile in this area, as is probably the same elsewhere, we have places like the dollar stores still offering people around $9/hr and can't figure out why they can't find and/or keep employees. They do six hour shifts. I feel so bad for the manager. He works his freakin' tail off and can't find anyone to come help stock shelves, etc. Knowing how they treat people, he's probably making around $12-13/hr. He runs around like a one-legged man in an ass kickin' contest all day long. Sad.
    Sadly ...I think that’s called “ Lazy ass kid syndrome”. Seems a lot of America’s young have that very disease

Blog Entries

Sadly ...I think that’s called “ Lazy ass kid syndrome”. Seems a lot of America’s young have that very disease

They grew up with life being easier than every other generation before them.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    They grew up with life being easier than every other generation before them.
    Yes Sir. A wise man once said “ the internet will be the fall of Western Civilization “. And I believe he’s right.

When everything is a “click” away ...you don’t have a sense to work for anything.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Food for thought, but a lot of those big bonus jobs are extremely high risk/high turnover positions. A couple of bad quarters or 1 bad decision could cost the entire company millions of dollars and result in that person being terminated.

The guy making $50,000/yr isn’t typically a high risk/high turnover job unless that guy screws up in a MAJOR way.
    wicked, that highly paid exec who screws up after a "couple of bad quarters" has already made high 6-figure or 7-figures in compensation, and is likely to receive a generous separation package. It would take that middle guy ($50K per) 20 years to make one million. I know the principle of high-risk, high-reward, and I am no bleeding heart, but it just seems to me we (as a society) could be more generous to the lower class working people in whose lives every dollar counts... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    wicked, that highly paid exec who screws up after a "couple of bad quarters" has already made high 6-figure or 7-figures in compensation, and is likely to receive a generous separation package. It would take that middle guy ($50K per) 20 years to make one million. I know the principle of high-risk, high-reward, and I am no bleeding heart, but it just seems to me we (as a society) could be more generous to the lower class working people in whose lives every dollar counts... Bc
    Well in the cause of being generous, we should raise the minimum wage to $30 per hour. I mean let’s make everyone middle class. Cause that would be fair and generous

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Well in the cause of being generous, we should raise the minimum wage to $30 per hour. I mean let’s make everyone middle class. Cause that would be fair and generous
    While I know you're exaggerating, please tell me what is wrong with trying to give those low-paid workers a little boost? I'm not saying expand Welfare ("entitlements" as the social workers call it) to those who do no work, and I'm not saying "let’s make everyone middle class" as I know that's impossible. There will always be poor, lower, middle, and uppers classes. I'd simply like the lower working-class to have a few more bucks in their pockets. Whay do you see as wrong with that? ... Bc