Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Biden endorses Unity Platform, incuding Free Healthcare for Illegals, $15 Minimum Wage, Reparations, Halt to all deportat

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    I personally am not in favor of a $15/hr minimum wage. I do feel strongly that the minimum wage should have been slowly raised over the years and is now quite low. Most (if not all) other groups get a cost of living or other type of raise periodically and having kept it at a static level for so long is just wrong. If that had been done, we likely wouldn't be where we are now on this issue. This is what creates the knee-jerk $15/hr jargon we are now facing. Both ends of the argument are living in a fantasy land.
    Raise it $.50/year for 15 years and it will be $15 in 2035. That makes sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Biden endorses Unity Platform, incuding Free Healthcare for Illegals, $15 Minimum Wage, Reparations, Halt to all deportat

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    So people who have put no effort into bettering their circumstances and have a job that students typically have to earn some summer spending cash... should make as much money as someone who has invested their time and money in a trade school, learned a skill, and worked it for years?

Can't say I agree.

Moreover, simple economics will dictate that businesses will pass these costs onto consumers, raising the prices of all goods and services, leaving those who now make $15 an hour with the same spending power they had before the government mandated increase.

Happens every single time. You'd think we'd be wise to it.
    The people who bettered themselves will theoretically see a better cost of living increase due to the inflation it would cause.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Many minimum wage jobs will simply disappear.
    I recently took a job where I oversee 60-80 generally minimum wage or just barely more HS aged kids. If minimum wage went to $15 we would simply shut down and all those jobs would be lost. The market sensitivity is such that if we had to add that much cost to the operation we could not increase the cost of the product enough and still have consumers to pay for it.

Self checkout will be the only way any business runs because no cashier is worth $15/hr in basically any circumstance. Inflation would be massive.
    Simply an awful idea all around.

Clearly you don't realize what an awesome cashier I was back in the day. ;)

Granted I think I maxed out at like ten an hour.

Free trade schools!!! I’ll pound the table on this being a way smarter solution than raising minimum wage.

Sold. Let's do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    The people who bettered themselves will theoretically see a better cost of living increase due to the inflation it would cause.

Yes of course... everyone's wages would go up if the government jacked the minimum wage into the stratosphere...

along with the prices that people pay for everything (because it is now burdened with a proportionally higher labor cost)

The net result being that everyone ends up with the same relative purchasing power they started with.

Government raises minimum wage.. inflation erases the gain.

Happens every time.

Its only value is political pandering.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    I principal we agree. I’m not a fan of the wall. Wasted tax dollars. Most of the illegals are brought here. Their not sneaking in on their own. Companies hire guys to bring in cheap labor. No company wants to pay a decent wage for manual labor. And ....we’re lazy. Young people don’t wanna work hard. It started in the 80’s with teaching kids they need college to make something of themselves and it’s only gotten worse.

High schools push college like a dealer pushes harder drugs. It's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    High schools push college like a dealer pushes harder drugs. It's ridiculous.

At least most of them get something out of the drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    Yes of course... everyone's wages would go up if the government jacked the minimum wage into the stratosphere...

along with the prices that people pay for everything (because it is now burdened with a proportionally higher labor cost)

The net result being that everyone ends up with the same relative purchasing power they started with.

Government raises minimum wage.. inflation erases the gain.

Happens every time.

Its only value is political pandering.
    To be honest, I don't think the cost of living increases would completely keep up with the rampant inflation, so I could see it keeping everyone back until they caught up

Many minimum wage jobs will simply disappear.
    I recently took a job where I oversee 60-80 generally minimum wage or just barely more HS aged kids. If minimum wage went to $15 we would simply shut down and all those jobs would be lost. The market sensitivity is such that if we had to add that much cost to the operation we could not increase the cost of the product enough and still have consumers to pay for it.

Self checkout will be the only way any business runs because no cashier is worth $15/hr in basically any circumstance. Inflation would be massive.
    Simply an awful idea all around.

Wait. Union Groc stores like Giant pay cashiers more than $15 hr now. Plus benifits. Safeway , Acme ( if you’re have one around ) and Giant all pay this rate. Teamsters. Hell down here Harris Teeter pays $13 and their not Union. So it can be done. Just in the right business

Wait. Union Groc stores like Giant pay cashiers more than $15 hr now. Plus benifits. Safeway , Acme ( if you’re have one around ) and Giant all pay this rate. Teamsters. Hell down here Harris Teeter pays $13 and their not Union. So it can be done. Just in the right business

Maybe you're not quite getting the idea of a minimum wage... but it would apply to EVERY business.

Whether they're the "right" business or not.

11. Re: Biden endorses Unity Platform, incuding Free Healthcare for Illegals, $15 Minimum Wage, Reparations, Halt to all deportat

Raise it $.50/year for 15 years and it will be $15 in 2035. That makes sense to me.

Not sure if you are serious or not w/that. Anyway, since it hasn't been done for so long, IMO that would do no good. I'd be in favor of raising it to say, $10/hr right now (which is where it should be) then every five years or so, check what the inflation rate has been and raise it again. Or, the CPI. Just do something. I really can't grasp why anyone that favors keeping it where it currently is would like to have had their own wages stay the same, while everyone else around them gets raises or at least gets a COL increase. Sorry, but I gotta give the ol' SMH to that thinking.

12. Re: Biden endorses Unity Platform, incuding Free Healthcare for Illegals, $15 Minimum Wage, Reparations, Halt to all deportat

I agree w/letting the market determine wages in those cases, as it currently does, but not having a $15/hr minimum wage across the board. In many jobs, right now, that's too high.