Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Ivy League shuts down all fall sports

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    I don't get why they can't just plow forward at the college level.

The people who are dying from this are 70+ years old. About half live in nursing homes.

Everyone at a dorm school can lie in bed sick for a week. Those 18-23 years olds, roughly, are not getting very sick from the covid. You can look at how many people in that 18-23 age group are getting the covid, and you can figure out how sick they're getting. Not very sick.

So, if a student is afraid of the covid, the university should allow that the student to take a semester off with no penalty. Other students who are not afraid of the covid would have school as normal. These college students who live in dorms are a pretty self contained unit, and they almost never are interacting with 70+ year olds in nursing homes. So, they get covid, they might infect other young and healthy college students with covid, they all get covid, but it's no big deal because covid isn't that harmful to young and healthy people and they aren't interacting with the at risk groups.

Compare the situation of dorm life to the situation of K-12. Apparently they want to bring K-12 back. Those kids go to school, get sick, and then bring the virus home to their family, so you have kids getting sick, and then the parents getting sick. And when you have sick kids and sick parents at home, there's a greater chance that someone there is going to come into contact with a 70+, and a chance that the household will contain a 70+. Dorm life does not contain 70+.

It is much safer for 70+, the at risk ages, for college age to get sick than for K-12 to get sick. College students live in a bubble, the K-12 don't.
    You think kids on campus are only coming in contact with kids other college kids? So there are no older coaches, teachers, RD's, administrators, maintenance employees? No commuters who go to classes and return home either by themselves or to their parents/grandparents homes? None that have children or spouses who come in contact with a lot of others?

I mean I'm not really saying that I don't think there should be any on campus learning, but I think that was an extremely simplistic view of the situation without thinking that with the large state schools, they employ thousands of adults, and many schools have a lot of commuters who are not in a bubble. I went to Morgan State for college, a school with a large chunk of kids from the Tri-State area and DC burbs...probably 80 percent of them that stayed on campus went home as often as possible, 2-4 weekends a month. I think there should be a balance...I'm not personally a fan of "full speed ahead" but I'm also not a fan of "every single class virtual and no kids on campus". There should be a balance and hopefully these schools have people making smart decisions.

My oldest is going to school this fall at a school here in MD and there are still a lot of unanswered questions. For now, they are going to start school in early/mid August to try and finish by late October/very early November. Dorm occupancy has been restricted to only one student per room...no more double/triple occupancy. He's an athlete too, but the coach is still trying to understand/wait on what's going to happen with fall sports.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Terps shutting it down.

Doubt we'll see any CFB this academic year:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...etes-and-staff

4. Re: Ivy League shuts down all fall sports

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    You think kids on campus are only coming in contact with kids other college kids? So there are no older coaches, teachers, RD's, administrators, maintenance employees? No commuters who go to classes and return home either by themselves or to their parents/grandparents homes? None that have children or spouses who come in contact with a lot of others?

I mean I'm not really saying that I don't think there should be any on campus learning, but I think that was an extremely simplistic view of the situation without thinking that with the large state schools, they employ thousands of adults, and many schools have a lot of commuters who are not in a bubble. I went to Morgan State for college, a school with a large chunk of kids from the Tri-State area and DC burbs...probably 80 percent of them that stayed on campus went home as often as possible, 2-4 weekends a month. I think there should be a balance...I'm not personally a fan of "full speed ahead" but I'm also not a fan of "every single class virtual and no kids on campus". There should be a balance and hopefully these schools have people making smart decisions.

My oldest is going to school this fall at a school here in MD and there are still a lot of unanswered questions. For now, they are going to start school in early/mid August to try and finish by late October/very early November. Dorm occupancy has been restricted to only one student per room...no more double/triple occupancy. He's an athlete too, but the coach is still trying to understand/wait on what's going to happen with fall sports.
    "No commuters who go to classes and return home either by themselves or to their parents/grandparents homes? None that have children or spouses who come in contact with a lot of others?"

ALMOST NONE.

If you're going to find a population that basically has no contact with the world outside their little sphere, it's a DORM COLLEGE.

Here's a scoop. People who work in grocery stores don't typically live in dorms. They often live at home with their parents, able to infect those people. But people who go to DORM COLLEGES, typically live in DORMS with other people. Typically people who live in DORMS do NOT see their parents until Thanksgiving.

And I'm not trying to say that it's ZERO, I'm just saying that it's the most isolated group you're going to find.

This story is about Yale, I think. Yale is a dorm school.

What is being forgotten is that dying of this covid thing is really uncommon for people under 70. It's like the flu. The FLU has ALWAYS BEEN DEADLY!!!! To people that are really old and/or people who are already sick. And in March, when this started, we didn't know what was up with this. But now we do know! We know that it IS DEADLY, about the same way THE FLU IS DEADLY - old people, sick people. Not the people who live in the Yale Dorms.

All the typical dorm schools (and there are certainly hybrid type schools) should just go back to normal.

And I'm typing all this in the context of a situation where Trump wants K-12 opened as normal. K-12 - dangerous - kids go to schools, catch covid, bring it home, where grandparents could be living. Dorm life - you just don't see your parents, and especially not grandparents. I'm comparing dorm life to K-12. K-12 - much more dangerous.

But, having read what I wrote before, I'm pretty much repeating myself. Each specific school has at least slightly different situations, but K-12 is still more dangerous. Those kids are all going home every day. The dorm kids might go home sometimes. But not as often as all the kids in K-12.

We always have the Flu, and the Flu is always deadly - to some. Same as this one. But this time Karen is in charge, and Karen is scared. Karen is also not at all a competent problem solver.

Blog Entries

college dorm = cruise ship

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

6. Re: Ivy League shuts down all fall sports

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    college dorm = cruise ship
    college dorm = 20 year olds
    cruise ship = 70 year olds

I'm not denying that a college dorm will have covid cases. I'm denying that college kids getting covid is a problem. The 20 year olds getting covid are the ones who are getting covid and not even knowing that they have covid. The 70 year olds on a cruise ship are ones who might die, and I think did die.

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    "No commuters who go to classes and return home either by themselves or to their parents/grandparents homes? None that have children or spouses who come in contact with a lot of others?"

ALMOST NONE.

If you're going to find a population that basically has no contact with the world outside their little sphere, it's a DORM COLLEGE.

Here's a scoop. People who work in grocery stores don't typically live in dorms. They often live at home with their parents, able to infect those people. But people who go to DORM COLLEGES, typically live in DORMS with other people. Typically people who live in DORMS do NOT see their parents until Thanksgiving.

And I'm not trying to say that it's ZERO, I'm just saying that it's the most isolated group you're going to find.

This story is about Yale, I think. Yale is a dorm school.

What is being forgotten is that dying of this covid thing is really uncommon for people under 70. It's like the flu. The FLU has ALWAYS BEEN DEADLY!!!! To people that are really old and/or people who are already sick. And in March, when this started, we didn't know what was up with this. But now we do know! We know that it IS DEADLY, about the same way THE FLU IS DEADLY - old people, sick people. Not the people who live in the Yale Dorms.

All the typical dorm schools (and there are certainly hybrid type schools) should just go back to normal.

And I'm typing all this in the context of a situation where Trump wants K-12 opened as normal. K-12 - dangerous - kids go to schools, catch covid, bring it home, where grandparents could be living. Dorm life - you just don't see your parents, and especially not grandparents. I'm comparing dorm life to K-12. K-12 - much more dangerous.

But, having read what I wrote before, I'm pretty much repeating myself. Each specific school has at least slightly different situations, but K-12 is still more dangerous. Those kids are all going home every day. The dorm kids might go home sometimes. But not as often as all the kids in K-12.

We always have the Flu, and the Flu is always deadly - to some. Same as this one. But this time Karen is in charge, and Karen is scared. Karen is also not at all a competent problem solver.
    No offense, but how long ago were you in college? When I was in school people definitely went home way more often than Thanksgiving, and Penn State University Park isn't exactly a commuter school.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    No offense, but how long ago were you in college? When I was in school people definitely went home way more often than Thanksgiving, and Penn State University Park isn't exactly a commuter school.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    My wife went to a “suitcase” college; the dorms cleared out every weekend. My school was just the opposite; weekends were for catching up on the workload. Thanksgiving was our first break.