Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ivy League shuts down all fall sports

Surprised I didn’t see any comments on here about yesterday’s news. Looking back to March, it was the ivy league that got the ball rolling to end all spring sports. When they made the announcement on March 11, I was shocked. At the time, there were three top lacrosse teams in the Ivy League. But it only took 24 hrs for the other conferences/colleges to follow and cancel spring. Hoping we don’t hear other conferences cancel fall sports today

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/08/s...ronavirus.html

Blog Entries

Re: Ivy League shuts down all fall sports

They don't depend on the revenue like the big schools, that is a huge difference. I also think Ivy league schools are going to do online classes so there won't be students on campus anyway (or only seniors).

I'll be shocked if the SEC doesn't do everything possible to play due to the $$ (although some of the players and their parents may be hesitant).

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    They don't depend on the revenue like the big schools, that is a huge difference. I also think Ivy league schools are going to do online classes so there won't be students on campus anyway (or only seniors).

I'll be shocked if the SEC doesn't do everything possible to play due to the $$ (although some of the players and their parents may be hesitant).
    Yale is my local Ivy. They announced on Monday that they would allow 60% of students on campus at a time. Sports aren't going to be a priority when you have to limit on campus education

Each school is making its own decision about remote vs. on-site; some will do a hybrid format, some may allow only freshmen/sophomores on campus, others may do remote-only.

Sucks if you're in a major that requires a lot of lab work.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Each school is making its own decision about remote vs. on-site; some will do a hybrid format, some may allow only freshmen/sophomores on campus, others may do remote-only.

why isn't there an overall guidance on this? Every school making their own decision just seems like a recipe for a lot of them to make bad choices...if we even know what that is.

why isn't there an overall guidance on this? Every school making their own decision just seems like a recipe for a lot of them to make bad choices...if we even know what that is.
    Where would that overall guidance come from? The Feds? They can't even figure out what to do with the public school system (actually, they can, but then politics enters the picture).

These are independent private institutions, richer than God. They call themselves a "League" only for the purposes of prestige and athletic competition.

Also keep in mind that these are some of the top scientific research institutions in the world. They can probably make better decisions on their own, factoring in their own situations. For example, Harvard is in the middle of a massive population, with thousands of cases and a 4-digit death toll. Cornell is in the middle of nowhere, with only one person hospitalized with COVID in the entire county.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Let’s face it. It’s impossible to play sports with this virus going around

Same with the other power 5 at least

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post

My wife is taking physics at aacc in the fall, and they won't be allowed on campus for at least the first month. Curious to see how labs go for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    My wife is taking physics at aacc in the fall, and they won't be allowed on campus for at least the first month. Curious to see how labs go for that.

Splitting into small groups would really stretch teaching and facilities resources. I hope it doesn’t set her back.

My son was able to resume lab work a few weeks ago, with split shifts. Classes will probably be virtual whenever possible. This is his year to TA; that will be a challenge.

11. Re: Ivy League shuts down all fall sports

I don't get why they can't just plow forward at the college level.

The people who are dying from this are 70+ years old. About half live in nursing homes.

Everyone at a dorm school can lie in bed sick for a week. Those 18-23 years olds, roughly, are not getting very sick from the covid. You can look at how many people in that 18-23 age group are getting the covid, and you can figure out how sick they're getting. Not very sick.

So, if a student is afraid of the covid, the university should allow that the student to take a semester off with no penalty. Other students who are not afraid of the covid would have school as normal. These college students who live in dorms are a pretty self contained unit, and they almost never are interacting with 70+ year olds in nursing homes. So, they get covid, they might infect other young and healthy college students with covid, they all get covid, but it's no big deal because covid isn't that harmful to young and healthy people and they aren't interacting with the at risk groups.

Compare the situation of dorm life to the situation of K-12. Apparently they want to bring K-12 back. Those kids go to school, get sick, and then bring the virus home to their family, so you have kids getting sick, and then the parents getting sick. And when you have sick kids and sick parents at home, there's a greater chance that someone there is going to come into contact with a 70+, and a chance that the household will contain a 70+. Dorm life does not contain 70+.

It is much safer for 70+, the at risk ages, for college age to get sick than for K-12 to get sick. College students live in a bubble, the K-12 don't.

Blog Entries

Some Florida schools proposing a Florida only season with the colleges but the big guys won't consider it because they're afraid UCF could run the table and that would be a bad look