Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Bulletin Board Material

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    So a guy like Travis Kelce is wrong?
    What are his qualifications to analyze an offense? Seriously. What are they? Why should we listen to some TE instead of people who've actually designed/coached offenses, or have to design a defense to go against this "wing-t" offense?

Yes, believe it or not, it's highly probably that Travis Kelce is wrong.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

So a guy like Travis Kelce is wrong? I mean what could he possibly know about football? Clearly a bunch of fans on a hometown message board know waaay more than any NFL player or NFL exec.
    Does Travis Kelce outweigh the MVP voters, all experienced football people, every one of whom voted for Lamar. Or all the smart football analysts who have come round on Lamar, even if they hated him predraft, leaving the idiots exposed on a limb with their 'he still can't pass' takes.

I think Lamar's disrupting a lot of traditional football thinking. Things people thought they knew look different when faced with Lamar. PFF thought they had a system to measure players but it spat out the result that Russell Wilson was the MVP last year. In my view, that was just wrong. There was something about Lamar's game that their system wasn't taking proper account of and they should look again and adjust it. I think he's doing the same thing to all sorts of football truisms and the experts (and Travis Kelce) need to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    What are his qualifications to analyze an offense? Seriously. What are they? Why should we listen to some TE instead of people who've actually designed/coached offenses, or have to design a defense to go against this "wing-t" offense?

Yes, believe it or not, it's highly probably that Travis Kelce is wrong.
    Dude. Kelce is prob a HOFer. He plays with THE Best QB in the game. I’d take his view over anyone’s on this board.

Is he right? Who knows. Is LJ gonna have a long career? Who knows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    Does Travis Kelce outweigh the MVP voters, all experienced football people, every one of whom voted for Lamar. Or all the smart football analysts who have come round on Lamar, even if they hated him predraft, leaving the idiots exposed on a limb with their 'he still can't pass' takes.

I think Lamar's disrupting a lot of traditional football thinking. Things people thought they knew look different when faced with Lamar. PFF thought they had a system to measure players but it spat out the result that Russell Wilson was the MVP last year. In my view, that was just wrong. There was something about Lamar's game that their system wasn't taking proper account of and they should look again and adjust it. I think he's doing the same thing to all sorts of football truisms and the experts (and Travis Kelce) need to catch up.
    No question LJ earned every single vote as MVP. He truly was the most Valuable Player. That’s not what this list is. It’s best /top QBs. LJ was 22 in QB stats. 6th in rushing ( ESPN stats).

The guys above him all ranked higher on the QB stats. It’s simple really. Except Brees ...he only played in 11 games and he’s 25 but ...he’s Brees so.

No question LJ earned every single vote as MVP. He truly was the most Valuable Player. That’s not what this list is. It’s best /top QBs. LJ was 22 in QB stats. 6th in rushing ( ESPN stats).

The guys above him all ranked higher on the QB stats. It’s simple really. Except Brees ...he only played in 11 games and he’s 25 but ...he’s Brees so.
    Any 2019 QB stats that have Lamar at 22 and Brees at 25 aren't telling you anything useful and probably aren't really worth considering.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/nf...lamar-jackson/

Glad the Browns want to keep the chip going strong

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ortizer; 07-12-2020 at 03:55 PM.

Dude. Kelce is prob a HOFer. He plays with THE Best QB in the game. I’d take his view over anyone’s on this board.
    Because he's a better athlete? If he was a bit shorter or ran slower would his opinion then become worthless?

Because he's a better athlete? If he was a bit shorter or ran slower would his opinion then become worthless?
    He’s a Pro Athlete. He’s in the NFL. If Andrews said the same I’d take his word over Jimmy Ann Arbor’s.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    What's most striking is the fact that many of the people surveyed come from the exact same community who didn't think the 2019 MVP was worth a first-rd pick in 2018. The same group who valued Josh Allen over Lamar; maybe the same group who thought Lamar would be well served to work out at WR.

No: I'm not going to accept the results of this poll as truth delivered from on high.
    More on these voters:

Jeremy Fowler
    @JFowlerESPN
    10:40 AM · Jul 11, 2020
    https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/stat...61497435021317
    Today our Top 10 rankings -- as voted on by more than 50 NFL personnel -- moves to tackle, where Tyron Smith is still the gold standard by a wide margin -- while No. 2 will be a surprise for some fans

Jeremy Fowler
    @JFowlerESPN
    1:14 PM · Jul 11, 2020
    https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/stat...00420852969474
    Yes, Mitchell Schwartz is a snub. Really good player, great numbers across the board -- but the truth is the NFL doesn't look at Schwartz the way the media does. Teams prioritize traits above most things, and Schwartz is an inferior athlete to these 10.

Team officials around the league concede that Lamar is a great "athlete": but they assume he doesn't have a good-enough arm to throw the sideline outs and the deep balls outside the numbers etc. Great runner but noodle-armed. Lamar is not 6'-4 230# with Josh Allen's arm therefore he doesn't have the traits that NFL teams expect/want in a great QB therefore other players get put ahead of him. Despite on-field performance (vision, processing speed, pocket mgmt).

There's an amazing amount of CYA thinking about QBs in the NFL. If Lamar is really that good, then GMs have to explain how they failed to notice it and draft him. The preferred explanation right now is that Lamar is a limited player in a gimmick offense that defensive coordinators are about to expose. Many of these voters need that explanation to be true. We'll see if it is.

Doug Farrar
    @NFL_DougFarrar
    10:54 AM · Jul 12, 2020
    https://twitter.com/NFL_DougFarrar/s...27514237423619
    Wayne Gretzky once said that he had to develop his style around his physical limitations. So did Jerry Rice. So did Tom Brady. I don't disagree with the idea that teams look for traits above all, but maybe teams should look beyond them.

Great post Jim.

Based on these results the whole survey is a waste of time. Are 'NFL personnel' really that stupid? They aren't being asked to project college players based on traits. They've been looking at NFL players actually performing in the league and they're still using their traits based approach, even in the face of, sometimes, years and years of evidence to the contrary (Mitchell Schwartz). To ignore evidence in favour of your own beliefs is just stupid. A few teams should be rethinking how they hire scouts.

He’s a Pro Athlete. He’s in the NFL. If Andrews said the same I’d take his word over Jimmy Ann Arbor’s.
    That's a yes, isn't it?

That's a yes, isn't it?
    This is Cool-X’s second screen name isn’t it?