Boom or Bust Qb situations

So much quarterback rotation this year. I don't think I can remember a time when so many starting QB's (or previous starters) switched teams in one offseason to start somewhere else. As we've seen with older vet Qb's in the past, change of scene doesn't always make for great results (Carson Palmer's Raiders are the first to come to mind for some reason), and sometimes it works wonders (Carson Palmer's Cardinals were on the other side of the spectrum)

Who will Boom and who will Bust in their new situations? Only guessing these are the guys winning those starting gigs.

Phillip River's Colts
    Tom Brady's Bucs
    Cam Newton's Pats
    Tyrod Taylor's Chargers
    Nick Foles' Bears
    Teddy Bridgewater's Panthers

I'm gonna guess Brady's Bucs will be decent enough to be a playoff team. He has so many weapons, but I'm not sure it's a match made in heaven with how much Arians likes to go deep. I think Teddy is gonna do better than most people might think in Carolina, and Foles could stabilize the Bears enough to have them sneak up on some people. I think Rivers is done, and Newton is going to be an experiment that will take a while to iron out the kinks. Tyrod I think is going to be a train wreck in LA.

I'm praying for Joe that it doesn't become Flacco's Jets at any point next season.

2. Re: Boom or Bust Qb situations

Quote Originally Posted by ReedInTheWind View Post
    So much quarterback rotation this year. I don't think I can remember a time when so many starting QB's (or previous starters) switched teams in one offseason to start somewhere else. As we've seen with older vet Qb's in the past, change of scene doesn't always make for great results (Carson Palmer's Raiders are the first to come to mind for some reason), and sometimes it works wonders (Carson Palmer's Cardinals were on the other side of the spectrum)

Who will Boom and who will Bust in their new situations? Only guessing these are the guys winning those starting gigs.

Phillip River's Colts
    Tom Brady's Bucs
    Cam Newton's Pats
    Tyrod Taylor's Chargers
    Nick Foles' Bears
    Teddy Bridgewater's Panthers

I'm gonna guess Brady's Bucs will be decent enough to be a playoff team. He has so many weapons, but I'm not sure it's a match made in heaven with how much Arians likes to go deep. I think Teddy is gonna do better than most people might think in Carolina, and Foles could stabilize the Bears enough to have them sneak up on some people. I think Rivers is done, and Newton is going to be an experiment that will take a while to iron out the kinks. Tyrod I think is going to be a train wreck in LA.

I'm praying for Joe that it doesn't become Flacco's Jets at any point next season.
    I dunno. Tyrod Taylor has never done badly anywhere, or done really good. Tyrod in his 3 starting seasons was 1 or 2 games better or worse than .500. With the Chargers last year, Rivers went 5-11. Taylor was never that bad. I'd guess that Tyrod Taylor gets a better record with the Chargers than Rivers got with the Chargers last year. Cam Newton probably wins the AFC East with the Patriots and if not, at least a .500 record. I'll give Foles an under .500 record. The other 3, dunno.

Re: Boom or Bust Qb situations

As if I know any better than the next man, I'll give my guesses:

Phillip River's Colts - BOOM - Rivers has a greatly improved OL in front of him with a stud rookie RB and workable WRs. Also studs at all three levels of defense. He will find a way to make the playoffs and the Colts are my dark horse AFC team for the Super Bowl.

Tom Brady's Bucs - BOOM - I will never ever ever ever ever doubt Brady until he shows me he's done. Bucs win the division.

Cam Newton's Pats - BUST - not that the Pats will bust, but Newton's Pats will bust because Jarrett Stidham will finish the season with Newton on IR.

Tyrod Taylor's Chargers - EH - Chargers will have no verticality on offense and will need to rely on a lot of YAC from Keenan Allen, Hunter Henry and Austin Ekeler. Too talented to end up fighting for the last wild card spot but that's where I see them.

Nick Foles' Bears - BUST - Foles did his playoffs thing, and now that's done. Bears are toast.

Teddy Bridgewater's Panthers - EH - I think the offense will do pretty well but the defense will suck monkey balls. I think things will look better next season when all those rookies on defense become sophomores.

I agree Newton ain’t going to finish the season for the Pats. I don’t even firmly believe he will beat out the other QB

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    As if I know any better than the next man, I'll give my guesses:

Phillip River's Colts - BOOM

Tom Brady's Bucs - BOOM

Cam Newton's Pats - BUST
    Interesting. I'm exactly opposite you on all of these.

I should inject some nuance:

• I agree with you about the O-line Rivers has in front of him, plus the stud RB(s). I disagree that Rivers is anything more than a below-avg starter at this point: 3rd quartile, like 15th to 20th.
    • Brady has shown he's done each of the last two Decembers. He'll start hot, they'll win a lot in their first six to eight games. In the last quarter of the season his arm will fall off again, and they'll be dependent on their defense.
    • No real nuance here. If Cam is healthy, the Pats are a top-3 team in the AFC. He's looked good in workouts: better than he has in a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Tyrod Taylor's Chargers - EH - Chargers will have no verticality on offense and will need to rely on a lot of YAC from Keenan Allen, Hunter Henry and Austin Ekeler. Too talented to end up fighting for the last wild card spot but that's where I see them.

Nick Foles' Bears - BUST - Foles did his playoffs thing, and now that's done. Bears are toast.

Teddy Bridgewater's Panthers - EH - I think the offense will do pretty well but the defense will suck monkey balls. I think things will look better next season when all those rookies on defense become sophomores.
    These I don't disagree with.

I think Foles got screwed in Jacksonville, plus the injury, and I think pretty much anybody is an upgrade from Trubisky at this point. He could surprise with some decent play.