Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: I'm sorry this is racism and this woman needs to be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Well I’m happy and I’m sure darb will be too that we have established that the war of northern aggression was not only about slavery
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    Actually, the South seceded from the Union, legally and peacefully.

Lincoln decided that participation in the Union was not voluntary, but mandatory. (and that he would not allow peaceful secession from the Union)

Lincoln made this decision for primarily financial reasons (the factories of the North were dependent on the commodities from the South)

Having decided to nullify and disregard the peaceful withdrawal from the Union of the Southern States, Lincoln sent Federal Troops to occupy South Carolina.

It was only then that hostilities broke out.

I know the victors write the history books, but this it what actually happened.
    To occupy south Carolina, or to safeguard the US government property that was present there?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    To occupy south Carolina, or to safeguard the US government property that was present there?

If one were to recognize the right of participant states to peacefully secede from the Union, I think they'd be hard pressed to make the subsequent case that a physical part of South Carolina was the property of said Union.

Lincoln felt that preserving the Union was the important thing. He said if he could preserve the Union with slavery-fine. If he could preserve it w/o slavery-fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mikezpen View Post
    Lincoln felt that preserving the Union was the important thing. He said if he could preserve the Union with slavery-fine. If he could preserve it w/o slavery-fine.

He also said slavery could remain in the states it already was, but not in any new states or territories.

If one were to recognize the right of participant states to peacefully secede from the Union, I think they'd be hard pressed to make the subsequent case that a physical part of South Carolina was the property of said Union.
    So you're saying it would be like when Cuba nationalized American assets after Castro took over?

So you're saying it would be like when Cuba nationalized American assets after Castro took over?

If Cuba were part of the United States, and then peacefully seceded... and we were speaking exclusively of territory, and not assets that were held by private individuals... then yes.

Blog Entries

If Cuba were part of the United States, and then peacefully seceded... and we were speaking exclusively of territory, and not assets that were held by private individuals... then yes.
    What about "Sanctuary Cities?" Is it OK for them so secede from the United States? LOL, we'd still have to support them with taxpayer money and all kinds of other backing. Of course they wouldn't need a police force of army to protect them either... Right?

... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    What about "Sanctuary Cities?" Is it OK for them so secede from the United States?
    Oh GOD yes!!

LOL, we'd still have to support them with taxpayer money and all kinds of other backing. Of course they wouldn't need a police force of army to protect them either... Right?

... Bc
    I think it's time for them to stop taking our dirty tainted free market money.

On principle

I was speaking of assets.

This will be a slightly tortured example, so bear with me. Fort Sumter was a property with a building and equipment on it owned by the government of the United States. Similar to how your house is a property with a building and equipment on it owned by you. If Maryland seceded today, would it be lawful for them to say you have no claim to your house?

I was speaking of assets.
    Yes, you were.

And I of course... was not.