Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: I'm sorry this is racism and this woman needs to be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    As part of the revolution and living up to our revolutionary ideals many in the north had a reckoning and realized slavery was incompatible with what the country stood for. That's something. It's noteworthy and it's worth recognizing and honoring.

In point of fact, the revolution very nearly did not happen, as Northern States insisted upon language which would have defacto eliminated slavery. The South held out repeatedly, with South Carolina in particular holding the vote hostage to the removal of the language.

The institution of slavery has visited nothing but woe upon the country.

Even now... it is a tool for division, when no one has experienced it for 150 years.

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    There was no slavery at all north of the Mason-Dixon line... and in the South slavery was applied to agriculture.

So to the degree that the country indulged in the evils of slavery, it did so to plant and pick crops.

So to suggest that the country was "formed on the back of slavery", or that the industry and manufacturing prowess of the United States had anything to do with slavery is a bit silly. It was pretty obviously demonstrated by the degree to which the Northern economy crushed the Southern economy during the Civil War.

Slavery was a horrible evil. One that most of the country rejected. Let's not pretend otherwise.
    Cotton was the world's LARGEST commodity/crop in the 1800s.

In point of fact, the revolution very nearly did not happen, as Northern States insisted upon language which would have defacto eliminated slavery. The South held out repeatedly, with South Carolina in particular holding the vote hostage to the removal of the language.

The institution of slavery has visited nothing but woe upon the country.

Even now... it is a tool for division, when no one has experienced it for 150 years.
    It was a mistake we are still paying for.

The marxists/neo-marxist/post modernists (call them what you will) have incorporated it into bludgeon they are using to deconstruct the "oppressive" hierarchy (like the police, Yeah, that will help the oppressed).

Quote Originally Posted by bandc View Post
    lololol this country was founded on tribalism and racism....I swear one day if I have enough time, I'm gonna make it my personal mission to eliminate the whitewashing of this countries history in schools. You all love to make it seem like it was so peachy keen for everyone and that this country was formed on some patriotic view of love, justice, and fairness.

lol, this country was formed on the back of brutal slavery and framing it as anything less than that is a gross fabrication of the truth.
    And genocide. Can't believe you forgot that.

This is actually where I feel that the toppling of statutes and such is misguided. Need to find the medium between whitewashed history and trying to eliminate historical figures because of their flaws. Mobs aren't really known for nuance though.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

There was no slavery at all north of the Mason-Dixon line... and in the South slavery was applied to agriculture.

So to the degree that the country indulged in the evils of slavery, it did so to plant and pick crops.

So to suggest that the country was "formed on the back of slavery", or that the industry and manufacturing prowess of the United States had anything to do with slavery is a bit silly. It was pretty obviously demonstrated by the degree to which the Northern economy crushed the Southern economy during the Civil War.

Slavery was a horrible evil. One that most of the country rejected. Let's not pretend otherwise.
    Slavery was not fully abolished in the north until 1804. While it was not as widespread as the south, it did exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Let's also remember that not every white person that lived in the south owned a slave. A majority of those folks were too poor to own slaves.
    Remember reading that was the origin of redneck. It's what the poor farmers were called because they had to work their own fields.

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Slavery was not fully abolished in the north until 1804. While it was not as widespread as the south, it did exist. Remember reading that was the origin of redneck. It's what the poor farmers were called because they had to work their own fields.

Not sure what point you're trying to make, other than an esoteric sidebar

Blog Entries

Slavery Abolition Act
    United Kingdom [1834] :

"abolished slavery in most British colonies, freeing more than 800,000 enslaved Africans in the Caribbean and South Africa as well as a small number in Canada. It received Royal Assent on August 28, 1833, and took effect on August 1, 1834"

Of course the Brits still held onto their "colonies" (now called Commonwealth" ... Bc

BustofPallas, you seemed shocked at what this woman said.Why?
    Can you imagine the outrage if a newspaper hired a white writer who said these things about minorities?

Well-meaning white liberals such as those women and your daughter are being used by the left. However, there are POC in those movements who utterly despise whites. You think this nonsense they spout about "white privilege" and "whiteness" won't inflame hatred of whites and even lead to violence-whether that's the intent of these campaigns or not?

Quote Originally Posted by mikezpen View Post
    BustofPallas, you seemed shocked at what this woman said.Why? Check out New York Times writer Sarah Jueng who openly hates white people.Here's a little sample of some of her comments:
    https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...802-story.html

Shocked?

Can you imagine the outrage if a newspaper hired a white writer who said these things about minorities?

Well-meaning white liberals such as those women and your daughter are being used by the left. However, there are POC in those movements who utterly despise whites. You think this nonsense they spout about "white privilege" and "whiteness" won't inflame hatred of whites and even lead to violence-whether that's the intent of these campaigns or not?
    I remember the NYT woman and her racist pablum as well.

I just call them like I see them. I don't think a person who would stoke racial resentment like that, lump in all people of one color and gender for punishment (or mercy here which implies punishment/retribution would be justified.) like she did here, is qualified to be a newspaper editor at a big paper like WAPO. Not that I read it. I just think it's dangerous.

Assigning blame to people for what others have done based on them having the same color and gender is precisely what racism is. It's assigning a characteristic to a group based on the actions of some of that same group. In this case it's also going back through history and assigning that guilt. It's reprehensible, wrong, racist and she should be fired. It's incredibly dangerous and irresponsible.

It's stoking racial hatred.

I can remove myself from my whiteness and see what she was trying to do with that statement, I just think it's incredibly dangerous and irresponsible in any circumstance to talk like that. "They should be thankful we are not calling for revenge". That's crazy and indefensible coming from a newspaper editor.

It's equivalent to saying "Revenge on white women is justified for the things white women have done in the past".
    Last edited by BustOfPallas; 07-09-2020 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikezpen View Post
    BustofPallas, you seemed shocked at what this woman said.Why?

I'm thankful that BOP can remove his whiteness from the situation and explain.

MP have you ever noticed that black people almost never call the police on white people doing random things. It's literally almost always white women calling the cops on black people for no reason. They do it because they know white people, and especially white women have been able to get away with so much concerning their protection under the law.

They know that more than likely, that historically, the black person would be assumed guilty. As funny as the whole "Karen" thing is, imagine what happened when cops came for one of these bogus calls before black people were able to film these interactions.

Quote Originally Posted by bandc View Post
    I'm thankful that BOP can remove his whiteness from the situation and explain.
    Lol, I do the best I can, but I understand that's not the same.

You don't have to try to defend her statement you know.

It's perfectly acceptable to condemn it.

We all know it's not okay to blame people for things people that look like them did.

You get that right?

There are places we should never go and this woman went there.

She could have made that point without the reprehensible, irresponsible, dangerous language she used.

I believe she is echoing a poem from Langston Hughes:

"“Negroes
    Sweet and docile,
    Meek, humble, and kind:
    Beware the day
    They change their minds!

Wind
    In the cotton fields,
    Gentle breeze:
    Beware the hour
    It uproots trees!”

Black people have through so much in this country and civil rights leaders have tried the peaceful thing for so long, yet we still have things like what I posted yesterday where cops who have 60 filed complaints, and 11 lawsuits still receive a combined total of 14 promotions/raises. Colin Kaepernick still did the most peaceful thing you could imagine and was still shredded for it, and black people still just want to do things the peaceful way, but it's just very frustrating.