Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: I'm sorry this is racism and this woman needs to be fired.

bandc-I'm not defending this. But are all white women to blame for the actions of a few-and be disparaged-er-PROFILED? This woman threatened them.

Yet you'd be the first to criticize the profiling of black men because of the criminal acts from that demographic.Can you imagine a white columnist saying that all black men should be real grateful that whites don't rise up and gain revenge on them as a result of crimes committed by their black brethren? Once, maybe.

Blacks' peaceful protests have been met w/violence at times, but they have also been successful, too.You think whites will be more favorably disposed toward them if the burn down buildings, and attack white people as a means of protest?

As for Kaepernick, he should be shredded.However However, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't run for Congress from a reliable Dem district.
    Last edited by mikezpen; 07-09-2020 at 12:28 PM.

While I think she should have used different words, I'm sure she doesn't mean all white women.

For example, the guy who got reported on in NYC is refusing to cooperate with cops when it comes to charging the lady. When it comes to trying to change life for black people in the U.S., 99% of the efforts have been peaceful.

Quote Originally Posted by mikezpen View Post
    bandc-I'm not defending this. But are all white women to blame for the actions of a few-and be disparaged-er-PROFILED? This woman threatened them.

Yet you'd be the first to criticize the profiling of black men because of the criminal acts from that demographic.Can you imagine a white columnist saying that all black men should be real grateful that whites don't rise up and gain revenge on them as a result of crimes committed by their black brethren? Once, maybe.

Blacks' peaceful protests have been met w/violence at times, but they have also been successful, too.You think whites will be more favorably disposed toward them if the burn down buildings, and attack white people as a means of protest?

As for Kaepernick, he should be shredded.However However, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't run for Congress from a reliable Dem district.
    I agree with you here. Profiling shouldn't happen to anyone.

I've also come to accept that most people will criticize any civil rights leader, not because of who they are, but what they stand for.

MLK was hated by white people, and if he around today, he probably would've been criticized because he blacked highways and bridges, and was found out to be a cheater. Malcolm X had ties to NOI and had a bad past as a pimp I believe.

Nobody is perfect. No one. But here we are today with a lot of white people still trashing him because of how he protested, or because he grew up upper-middle-class or whatever (hint hint...MLK didn't struggle as a child either). People are always going to find something to criticize Kaep about while completely ignoring his message.

Quote Originally Posted by bandc View Post
    While I think she should have used different words, I'm sure she doesn't mean all white women.

For example, the guy who got reported on in NYC is refusing to cooperate with cops when it comes to charging the lady. When it comes to trying to change life for black people in the U.S., 99% of the efforts have been peaceful.
    I saw that Christian Cooper wants nothing to do with it any longer and thinks she's been punished enough. I admire that. Not everyone would feel that way. Dude's a birdwatcher, lol, maybe that's how he's wired. Seems like a serene guy.

I understand in this country black men have been lynched based on incidents that probably looked exactly like that one. I can only imagine the terror and distress an encounter with a woman like that would cause if I was a black guy and we were alone with no one else around and she was saying the shit she did. Hell, in the me too era, as a man, if I had sons I would worry for them a lot. You can ruin a person's life with an accusation.

We obviously have different filters on this. My family is 4 white woman and me so I'm fine tuned to see excesses in behavior and language that might impact them negatively. I'll stand guard on this side of things and try to check what I see as dangerous excesses when I see them and I'm confident you have the other side covered.

It is not just possible but easy to take things too far when trying to push back. We all have to be careful.
    Last edited by BustOfPallas; 07-09-2020 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    Not sure what point you're trying to make, other than an esoteric sidebar
    Was pointing out your statement about no slavery north of the Mason-Dixon line is not supported by history.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Was pointing out your statement about no slavery north of the Mason-Dixon line is not supported by history.

I know the border states were slave states like our own Maryland. I also know the emancipation proclamation did not apply to the border states although slavery was legislated out of existence in those state within a year or two.

One of the problems I have with the narrative that Civil War was all about slavery is because of facts like that. It makes out the North to be enlightened when I don't think as a whole they were that much better. I can't think of a better way to undermine an enemy whose economy is heavily reliant on slave labor than to decree it's slaves as free. It was no skin off the Union's nose particularly when you consider it omitted the border states allied with them.

I'm thankful that BOP can remove his whiteness from the situation and explain.

MP have you ever noticed that black people almost never call the police on white people doing random things. It's literally almost always white women calling the cops on black people for no reason. They do it because they know white people, and especially white women have been able to get away with so much concerning their protection under the law.

They know that more than likely, that historically, the black person would be assumed guilty. As funny as the whole "Karen" thing is, imagine what happened when cops came for one of these bogus calls before black people were able to film these interactions.
    Either that, or it would incite a mob and cause even more damage.

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    I know the border states were slave states like our own Maryland. I also know the emancipation proclamation did not apply to the border states although slavery was legislated out of existence in those state within a year or two.

One of the problems I have with the narrative that Civil War was all about slavery is because of facts like that. It makes out the North to be enlightened when I don't think as a whole they were that much better. I can't think of a better way to undermine an enemy whose economy is heavily reliant on slave labor than to decree it's slaves as free. It was no skin off the Union's nose particularly when you consider it omitted the border states allied with them.
    Yep. Only applied to states on rebellion. Slavery was definitely one of the points, but don't think it was the only one.

Agree with this. Slavery was the main issue, but it was the economical aspect of it. The Federal Government imposed huge tariffs to counter the South’s free labor, which the South thought were unconstitutional. If it was the humanistic side of slavery, I feel they would’ve been freed before the war. Remember, the South fired the first shots to start the war. Lincoln didn’t make it the war to end slavery, but rather the war to save the Union. The ending of slavery was a fortunate outcome, but I don’t believe it was the real reason.

Blog Entries

But when Trump said there were good people on both sides (re Charlottesville), he clearly was only talking about all of the good neo-nazi's and KKK members, right?

Band - you can't have it both ways. You can't make excuses for one person's shitty behavior and then flame other people for doing the exact same thing. It's hypocritical.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    Remember, the South fired the first shots to start the war. Lincoln didn’t make it the war to end slavery, but rather the war to save the Union. The ending of slavery was a fortunate outcome, but I don’t believe it was the real reason.
    Actually, the South seceded from the Union, legally and peacefully.

Lincoln decided that participation in the Union was not voluntary, but mandatory. (and that he would not allow peaceful secession from the Union)

Lincoln made this decision for primarily financial reasons (the factories of the North were dependent on the commodities from the South)

Having decided to nullify and disregard the peaceful withdrawal from the Union of the Southern States, Lincoln sent Federal Troops to occupy South Carolina.

It was only then that hostilities broke out.

I know the victors write the history books, but this it what actually happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Yep. Only applied to states on rebellion. Slavery was definitely one of the points, but don't think it was the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    Agree with this. Slavery was the main issue, but it was the economical aspect of it. The Federal Government imposed huge tariffs to counter the South’s free labor, which the South thought were unconstitutional. If it was the humanistic side of slavery, I feel they would’ve been freed before the war. Remember, the South fired the first shots to start the war. Lincoln didn’t make it the war to end slavery, but rather the war to save the Union. The ending of slavery was a fortunate outcome, but I don’t believe it was the real reason.
    Well I’m happy and I’m sure darb will be too that we have established that the war of northern aggression was not only about slavery