Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hearing What Black Voices Really Say About the Police

Re: Hearing What Black Voices Really Say About the Police

Nothing new here. Most people want the police reformed not removed. It's a distraction to even say that people are for removing the police. Those are the edge cases.

The one poll question about Eric Garner..."Stop by any means", was misleading....because I'm sure the responders assumed legal any means. Not by using illegal choke hold.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

In a Monmouth poll taken after Floyd’s death, 44 percent of African-Americans reported that they or an immediate family member felt “harassed by police,” but a majority did not share this experience. When asked, “How satisfied are you with the job your local police department does,” 21 percent said “very satisfied,” 51 percent said somewhat satisfied, 12 percent said somewhat dissatisfied, and only 5 percent said that they were “very” dissatisfied. These results do not suggest a complete endorsement of contemporary policing, as many blacks report negative interactions. Yet nearly three-quarters of surveyed African-Americans report themselves satisfied with their local police departments.

Quote Originally Posted by ddr_jr View Post
    Nothing new here. Most people want the police reformed not removed. It's a distraction to even say that people are for removing the police. Those are the edge cases.

Really?

Seems like the mayors of quite a few major US Cities have called for defunding the Police.

Including Atlanta, where things appear to be headed for catastrophe.

Thankfully, the city council ignored her... but the police are being subjected to rules governing their behavior that are placing THEM in danger.... and are being criticized for any action they take... and so very often are choosing not to act... effectively making "removing the police" a defacto happening at least in part.

And this is of course playing out in other cities as well... NY comes strongly to mind.

The one poll question about Eric Garner..."Stop by any means", was misleading....because I'm sure the responders assumed legal any means. Not by using illegal choke hold.

I find reason to quibble over the suggestive and leading nature of most polls. So I don't really find fault with your characterization.

Those polls are generally written and administered however, by left-leaning academic institutions. This one (Written by Quinnipiac University, being no exception)
    Last edited by owknows; 07-07-2020 at 08:55 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    In a Monmouth poll taken after Floyd’s death, 44 percent of African-Americans reported that they or an immediate family member felt “harassed by police,” but a majority did not share this experience. When asked, “How satisfied are you with the job your local police department does,” 21 percent said “very satisfied,” 51 percent said somewhat satisfied, 12 percent said somewhat dissatisfied, and only 5 percent said that they were “very” dissatisfied. These results do not suggest a complete endorsement of contemporary policing, as many blacks report negative interactions. Yet nearly three-quarters of surveyed African-Americans report themselves satisfied with their local police departments.
    Not surprised really. I'm a 55 year old with a college degree that grew up in inner city Baltimore. I've had about a dozen encounters with the police ranging from getting caught cutting school (they used to stop you if you were school aged and outside during school hours) to flat out harassment (being followed while on foot and cuffed walking home from work). Yet I'm still satisfied with the job they do. I don't see a paradox here.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Not surprised really. I'm a 55 year old with a college degree that grew up in inner city Baltimore. I've had about a dozen encounters with the police ranging from getting caught cutting school (they used to stop you if you were school aged and outside during school hours) to flat out harassment (being followed while on foot and cuffed walking home from work). Yet I'm still satisfied with the job they do. I don't see a paradox here.

I don't see a paradox here either.

I see a misrepresentation on the part of a left leaning press, that is attempting to create the narrative that all black people live in fear of the police, and that they want to the police defunded.

This is of course not true..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    I don't see a paradox here either.

I see a misrepresentation on the part of a left leaning press, that is attempting to create the narrative that all black people live in fear of the police, and that they want to the police defunded.

This is of course not true..
    Off topic question - how old are you, if you don't mind?

Blog Entries

I see it like this:

1) The extreme left wants to totally eradicate law enforcement.
    2) Politicians are politicizing this and pandering to the extreme left for political capital.
    3) The average American believes law enforcement is a must have.
    4) The average American believes most law enforcement officers are good people that mean well and care about their job.
    5) Most Americans want to see changes happen within the law enforcement industry - ie, better training, better candidate screening, better employment evaluations, less tolerance for shitty cops.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I see it like this:

1) The extreme left wants to totally eradicate law enforcement.
    2) Politicians are politicizing this and pandering to the extreme left for political capital.
    3) The average American believes law enforcement is a must have.
    4) The average American believes most law enforcement officers are good people that mean well and care about their job.
    5) Most Americans want to see changes happen within the law enforcement industry - ie, better training, better candidate screening, better employment evaluations, less tolerance for shitty cops.
    I think we see things exactly the same way.

Now I would challenge anyone else who agrees with this common sense assessment to ask themselves why? Why does the extreme left want to eradicate law enforcement?

Is it because they think society would be better off without them?

Or is it perhaps that they see that this will totally destroy what remains if social cohesion and common purpose in this country, bringing it all crashing down?

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Off topic question - how old are you, if you don't mind?

City Raised.

High School Dropout.

Self-Educated.

Work as a Design Engineer with a Fortune 500 Company.

Libertarian.

It seems to me that most protesters want the police, at least, defunded. My question is, does anyone think that with 1/6 of their budget trimmed (New York) that police departments will institute more training or professional developments, including diversity training, stress management, or de-escalating skills, to name a few? Defunding is not going to help with revamping police departments. It’s a very knee-jerk reaction to an ongoing problem.