Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: 'Enough Is Enough': Atlanta Mayor Calls For Violence To End After Child Killed

Quote Originally Posted by ddr_jr View Post
    Can you guys quit this? You guys are running too much with this. No one wants to get rid of the police. Some may want to take a look at their budget. What's wrong with that? Fiscal conservatives do that all the time. Should the military have a run away budget? Can it be looked at? Why should the police be any different.

If NYC police budget is 6 billion, they decide to take 1 billion away and give to schools..... Then what's the issue? They defunded 1 billion away from the police.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/12/o...nd-police.html

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...it-minneapolis

Defund the police means defunding the police. When that happens, crime flourishes. The results are already apparent in New York, Atlanta, and other large cities.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Re: 'Enough Is Enough': Atlanta Mayor Calls For Violence To End After Child Killed

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/12/o...nd-police.html

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...it-minneapolis

Defund the police means defunding the police. When that happens, crime flourishes. The results are already apparent in New York, Atlanta, and other large cities.
    Portland and Seattle certainly ran their own experiments.

All resulted in people being murdered in the street.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I'd have voted for Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice in a heartbeat, and I'm a white man... Bc
    Colin Powell is the great candidate that never happened unfortunately.
    Clinton gets the credit for a balanced budget that the dotcom boom and Powell deserve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abolishing is too dramatic of a term. The Minnesota folks want to follow the Camden New Jersey model where they dismantled it...and rebuilt it better.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.wbu...ice-department

Fact being the police still exist. More trust within the community.

You didn't answer the question? Is it wrong to review police departments for waste, fraud and abuse? Why do they get a free pass? The military doesn't.

I'm sure you all saw the new Trump campaign video about Biden wanting to get rid of the police. Shameful, and a scare tactic regarding this subject. Reminds me of a verse in J Cole's, "Come Through and Chill"

"Trump saying slick shit...."

You do realize that Camden went from 250 officers to over 400, right? In order to do that they had to follow some ideas that have already been suggested on this forum such as busting the police union. If you think New York is about to bust their police union just to add more officer, then we really have nothing to talk about because you're dreaming the impossible.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Trump now makes this a culture war issue, when it should be a common sense issue. This is proof that it does have an impact, because Trump is testing it out with his tweets and speeches indirectly with all his tap dancing and innuendo. I wish some of you would admit that Trump plays on race just like the Democrats. He never directly does it..he codes it with trigger words and retweets. He always knows exactly what to say to rile people up. Or as they say, owning the libs. How is that helpful...how is that leading the country? He's just as culpable.

This is another reason I don't respect leftists. "Trigger words", seriously? If you can't actually point to anything Trump has said that's racist then you'll either take a phrase completely out of context or invent new definitions to fit your narrative. But defund the police totally doesn't mean defund the police you guys. Tee-hee.
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    Yes, it is easy to say. It's also true.

It is hollow symbolism.

Tilting a windmills. The equivalent of a straw man.

To people in the south, this flag meant "the south". But a decade or so ago, someone intent on dividing the country declared it a symbol of racism.

And for decades thereafter it was yet another thing in a long list of things upon which to divide people and set them against one another... and in the end accomplishing nothing.

Not one life was improved. Not one family lifted out of poverty. Not one man got a better education.

Just more sound and divisive fury to make activists feel good about failing to address real problems.

Why do you keep reaching for Trump as a diversion?

I'm not talking about Trump. I'm talking to you... very specifically.. about issues.

And when they get to be challenging for you, you seem to find it necessary to tell me why you think Trump sucks.

Stick to the subject and we can actual make some progress toward understanding one another.
    I think the opposite. Folks claiming it means the south..is their way of justifying to themselves to make them feel good about why that flag is still flying. It's bullshit in my opinion. Even if the masses now see it to mean the south, does not make it right. Those who are fighting it..I think it's more about not wanting to give in to PC. What's more important, stubbornness or doing what's right? I'll NEVER understand why folks would glorify a flag that represented the separation from the United States to maintain social and physical control over a race. Even if that was only 50% of the reason for separating. Burn that damn flag.

And it is important to bring up Trump. You personally harp on how race needs to be removed from the conversation. I mostly agree. You blame leftist, but let Trump off scott free. I've yet to read a post where you state his part of this madness. He is the president. The whole Republican party follows his lead. So do the millions of people in this country. So when he retweets a tweet with a dude screaming "White Power", it matters. How many times can his administration fein ignorance or blame someone else for stuff like this.

I can get down with some of the things Candace talks about...she loses me when she says Trump is the vessel. I think he is a dispicaple person who only cares about himself. He'll play on the sensitivities like the flag, statues, protest, thugs, radical left, coups, wiretaps, corrupt FBI agents, voter fraud and all other emotional type issues to get relected. All issues that get one side or the other outrages. What else is he talking about these days.

Just saying...

Back to the topic.

Yes, budget does have a correlation to reform. Change your practices, or you don't get extra money. That will have more effect than any other lip service. We've been having lip service for years and we still have these issues. Furthermore, if you read up on the Camden New Jersey approach, you'll find that they had to change a deep rooted culture within the agency. It's hard to teach old dogs new tricks. It's just an approach...in this instance it worked. Nothing is perfect.

There are always going to be people who take extreme positions. Most of the time it's to get the conversation started. If you read Trump's Art of the Deal, he will tell you to lay out an unreasonable marker. That's what folks are doing...following Trump's lead

This is another reason I don't respect leftists. "Trigger words", seriously? If you can't actually point to anything Trump has said that's racist then you'll either take a phrase completely out of context or invent new definitions to fit your narrative. But defund the police totally doesn't mean defund the police you guys. Tee-hee.
    Touche...and I feel the same about Trumpers. They refuse to see, admit, acknowledge the decisiveness he brings to the table. He's Ronald Reagan now...all other future presidents will now use him as the example to follow. I doubt it.

I didn't say anything about racism. I said that he plays and talks about certain issues to rile people up. He knows exactly what he is doing. He plays on the fear some folks have on the other....and throws it out for everyone else to discuss...he talks about these culture issues to keep them in the news. But yet, it's always the liberals who bring up these issues. No, Trump revels in it . I said it a while back, Trump minipulates people , floating this crap for his own benefit. Especially on a slow news day.

If sleepy Joe beats Trump...I hope you guys realize and own why he lost. As will I if Trump wins. In both cases, one of us would be wrong. No excuses.

I think the opposite. Folks claiming it means the south..is their way of justifying to themselves to make them feel good about why that flag is still flying.
    Yeah.. I think it's real easy to think the worst of people. But maybe you were wrong. Maybe a good portion of your country wasn't horrible people. Maybe they saw that flag as their own defiant symbol. A giant fuck you to self-righteous city folk who have been denigrating them and their way of life for ages.

Maybe it had nothing to do with you at all.

I saw that symbol from time to time growing up. I don't remember a soul being offended by it. Black or White. Until someone told them that they should be outraged. That was probably 10 or 15 years ago

Maybe it's just another wedge driven between people who would otherwise get along just fine.

It's bullshit in my opinion. Even if the masses now see it to mean the south, does not make it right.
    Neither does your outrage make YOU right.

There was a time in this country when we recognized that people had differences of opinion. And that those differences were not justification for destroying lives and smashing things and beating people. We used to try to persuade one another. To use shunning as an appropriate means of voicing displeasure with words and attitudes.

But those days seem gone. And one movement has claimed itself the single solitary arbiter of all moral questions And is so certain that their opinion is infallible, that they are happy to enforce it. With threats, intimidation, violence and property crimes.

And that path has only one end.

It isn't pretty

Those who are fighting it..I think it's more about not wanting to give in to PC. What's more important, stubbornness or doing what's right? I'll NEVER understand why folks would glorify a flag that represented the separation from the United States to maintain social and physical control over a race. Even if that was only 50% of the reason for separating. Burn that damn flag.
    Maybe in their eyes, the flag has nothing to do with the civil war at all.

And it is important to bring up Trump. You personally harp on how race needs to be removed from the conversation. I mostly agree. You blame leftist, but let Trump off scott free.
    LOL. You have no idea how often I call Trump a complete idiot.

I think he's generally a guy who wants what's best for the country, But he generally has a tin ear politically.

I will say though, that the majority of "racist" things that are attributed to Trump are untrue. In fact, I don't objectively know of any.

And if you want to prove me wrong.. it should be easy. I'm open to having my mind changed

Show me a few racist things that Trump has said.

I don't want nonsense about "dog whistles". I don't what half-truths. I don't want out of context sentence fragments. And I don't want media interpretations of Trump.

Give me Trump in his own words, and in full context. I get the sense from you that these should be quite easy to produce. There have to be hundreds of easy picks... right?

I can get down with some of the things Candace talks about...she loses me when she says Trump is the vessel. I think he is a dispicaple person who only cares about himself. He'll play on the sensitivities like the flag, statues, protest, thugs, radical left, coups, wiretaps, corrupt FBI agents, voter fraud and all other emotional type issues to get relected. All issues that get one side or the other outrages. What else is he talking about these days.
    If you're asking me if I'd prefer Candace Owen to Trump as president... I'd say enthusiastically yes.

But such an option wasn't presented to me. I chose Trump because the alternative would have been the death of the country. Trump opposed our headlong plunge into the neo-marxist abyss. This is what Candace Owen means when she calls him the vessel. He was the only one.. for all of his horrible flaws... that had the courage to tell them to fuck off.

And we've paid a pretty heavy price for that.

But thankfully, the neo-marxist contingent doesn't know when to stop... it has so ridiculously overplayed its hand that Trump will likely win again. And if he does... it will be the wretched excesses of the left that propel him there.

Just saying...
    Last edited by owknows; 07-07-2020 at 06:45 PM.

Touche...and I feel the same about Trumpers. They refuse to see, admit, acknowledge the decisiveness he brings to the table. He's Ronald Reagan now...all other future presidents will now use him as the example to follow. I doubt it.

I didn't say anything about racism. I said that he plays and talks about certain issues to rile people up. He knows exactly what he is doing. He plays on the fear some folks have on the other....and throws it out for everyone else to discuss...he talks about these culture issues to keep them in the news. But yet, it's always the liberals who bring up these issues. No, Trump revels in it . I said it a while back, Trump minipulates people , floating this crap for his own benefit. Especially on a slow news day.

If sleepy Joe beats Trump...I hope you guys realize and own why he lost. As will I if Trump wins. In both cases, one of us would be wrong. No excuses.

I have long admired Trump's decisiveness.

If you ever bother listening to Trump you'll hear him talk about Americans. Bringing back American jobs. Helping Americans. You never hear that from democrats. You hear divisive comments from them like how white people are inherently racist. Police are bad and need to be defunded.
    ProFootballMock

I have long admired Trump's decisiveness.

If you ever bother listening to Trump you'll hear him talk about Americans. Bringing back American jobs. Helping Americans. You never hear that from democrats. You hear divisive comments from them like how white people are inherently racist. Police are bad and need to be defunded.
    Typo, devisive-ness.

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    Maybe in their eyes, the flag has nothing to do with the civil war at all.
    If you were a Jew living in Germany, would you want the Nazi flag flying on government buildings?

I'm sure you'll say that is different, please explain why?

Both were failed regimes
    Both causes murdered hoards of people
    Both, believed they were the superior race

In your view, I guess you would be ok if a shop had a Nazi sticker on the front door....because it would be your choice to enter or not. I can understand that. It's definitely a free country.

I agree, the personal ownership of the flag doesn't make one a sympathiser to the stigma associated with it. I just draw the line on government buildings and public events. It's a slap in the face.

Have you been to the African American museum in DC yet? If not, you should check it out and read ever exhibit. Start from the basement, and work your way up. Unfortunately, it's so much material that it's no way you can get through it in a day. Everyone who visits, leaves with a different perspective.

If you were a Jew living in Germany, would you want the Nazi flag flying on government buildings?

I'm sure you'll say that is different, please explain why?

Both were failed regimes
    Both causes murdered hoards of people
    Both, believed they were the superior race

In your view, I guess you would be ok if a shop had a Nazi sticker on the front door....because it would be your choice to enter or not. I can understand that. It's definitely a free country.

I agree, the personal ownership of the flag doesn't make one a sympathiser to the stigma associated with it. I just draw the line on government buildings and public events. It's a slap in the face.

Have you been to the African American museum in DC yet? If not, you should check it out and read ever exhibit. Start from the basement, and work your way up. Unfortunately, it's so much material that it's no way you can get through it in a day. Everyone who visits, leaves with a different perspective.

I have to say I agree with you on the confederate flag. No government building should fly it and it's in bad taste and insensitive to our history in the very least to fly it now. I do think as part of the "Lost Cause" romanticized views of the Civil war that the symbol crept back into being acceptable. Because that war was decoupled from slavery as part of that historical trend I also believe many, many people that fly it do as part of pride in their southern heritage, not as a symbol of "white supremacy" or to insult African Americans.

I don't see it as erasing history to make flying of that flag taboo in 2020 America.