Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: 'Enough Is Enough': Atlanta Mayor Calls For Violence To End After Child Killed

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    I view him that way in hindsight. I thought he did well in the immediate aftermath of 9/11. That pitch he threw out in NYC with the entire country watching... sadly, that was his finest moment.

He and Clinton handed Obama a financial mess and Obama had to pardon the guilty.

I don't know how we end up with such uninspiring candidates in this country but we do.
    I am coming to believe that the only ones that are allowed to run, are those who are either dumb enough, or who have enough dirt in their respective closets, that they can be controlled.

Every once in awhile someone slips past this process, and they are destroyed for it.

Re: 'Enough Is Enough': Atlanta Mayor Calls For Violence To End After Child Killed

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    You are three years older than me and were way ahead of me in that regard. I sort of followed the elections as a little kid but at a very superficial level. My earliest memory was supporting McGovern as little kid ... because my Dad did, lol. I remember my one friend's Dad laughing at me over the McGovern support, like "you and your dad are losers.". I remember watching Nixon's resignation and my Dad was glued to the TV and telling me "shhhhh" this is history and I was like "So what he just quit..."..probably was playing with and Erector set at the time or something. I "supported" Carter too... because Dad did. I seem to remember getting scorn for that too from another neighbor. I remember watching some other big news stories around then, the Anwar Sadat assassination for instance, but I became fairly apolitical for about 10 years after Carter lost to Reagan, focusing on the sports and comic sections. I did not lock into a party until 92 when I looked at Bill and Hillary Clinton giving an interview on 60 minutes after the Superbowl and thinking, that guy is full of shit and the woman looks like trouble. I was right about both of them. That's when my partisan period started. The Clarence Thomas confirmation is when I think I started to think "Woaaaa" these Democrats are complete a**holes. Joe Biden is probably most responsible ironically for nudging me towards the GOP. I pegged him a cheesy, sleazy windbag immediately. The Clintons locked me in fully. I supported and campaigned for McCain in 2000, with my Democrat Dad but ended up despising him in his later years as a stubborn egomaniac. When Bush won the nomination I supported him because the Clinton stench, including the wooden goofy Al Gore needed to go. I Supported Obama over Mrs. Inevitable (Hillary) in 2008 and was so relieved that he knocked her out that he had nothing but my gratitude and I was very okay with him winning the presidency. I became disillusioned with Obama because partly because race relations seemed to get worse after he was elected. I felt like we were in a new era when he was elected so was disappointed to see how quickly lot's of valid political criticism resulted in the race card being thrown immediately. If not by Obama but by all his surrogates and the Democratic party in general. As if partisan politics hadn't been around for decades and it was all due to "racism" now..... Romney was such a dolt I did not get too upset when Obama beat him for a second term.

Looking back, with the exception of McCain, there has been a lot of supporting candidates simply because the alternative was much worse. Not because I was excited about the candidate. The same holds for this election. I enjoyed watching Trump battle with Hillary in 2016 and was as shocked as anyone when he beat her.
    I was really hoping that Condoleezza Rice would run on the Republican ticket at some point.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    I am coming to believe that the only ones that are allowed to run, are those who are either dumb enough, or who have enough dirt in their respective closets, that they can be controlled.

Every once in awhile someone slips past this process, and they are destroyed for it.
    https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...37&oe=5F2AD48C
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    I was really hoping that Condoleezza Rice would run on the Republican ticket at some point.
    I used to think that... but I'm coming to the conclusion that she wasn't really the agent of change we needed at the time. She was a Bush Republican, which meant "status quo". The reason a lot of republicans love Trump is that they have been called racist degenerates because of their politics... and every person we elect apologizes for what we believe in. Bush came in as a conservative, and left as another element of the swamp. He was surrounded by Cheney, Bolton, and all of the other GOP trash that paid us all lip service but then did what made them rich.

Trump is the first person to push back and say that what we believe in isn't stupid. Conservatism isn't racism at all. He actually defends us, and pushes back on a left that has claimed, incorrectly, moral superiority for decades over us. That is what REALLY bothers the left. They aren't the undisputed champs fighting against the Peter McNeely's of the world. He's pushing back and making everyone see that they are absolutely full of it. If you hated everything else about Trump... you have to give him that. At least he defends the people who voted for him.

Obama to Bush 1 were just corporatists that barely wanted the job to begin with, and were all the happier to let others run with the job while they waved their little hats and made pre-written speeches. I will never say that "Trump is just like Reagan!"... but he is the closest we've had since. He's someone that actually wants the job of ACTUALLY leading the country... and wasn't just the next name on the list. People were REALLY disappointed in Obama, because he was this "agent of change" - My wife being one of them. He was nothing of the sort. He got in... made a couple passionate speeches, and then got paid like the rest of them. If you look at Biden and are tempted to vote for him... ask yourself this: "Does this man really want this job?"
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else." -Margaret Mead

Blog Entries

I'd have voted for Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice in a heartbeat, and I'm a white man... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I'd have voted for Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice in a heartbeat, and I'm a white man... Bc
    I'd have voted for Colin Powell. I think he would have been shoo in. I didn't trust Condi Rice. I don't know why.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    I'd have voted for Colin Powell. I think he would have been shoo in. I didn't trust Condi Rice. I don't know why.
    I'm not a huge fan of either. Powell has shown himself to be very fond of the inside the beltway life.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of either. Powell has shown himself to be very fond of the inside the beltway life.
    True. I didn't know that about him back then. I guess he would have fooled me like all the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Funny, but I feel just the opposite about them both.

Blog Entries

Funny, but I feel just the opposite about them both.
    I just figured a general would be a better leader, although it doesn't always work out that way with military figures. That's why I thought GHWB would be a better president than Reagan.

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    And while you continue to pretend that this has a meaningful impact, the real problems continue unaddressed.
    These flags coming down 30/40 years too late is a non issue? It's not a real problem? Easy for you to say.

When these flags come down like it did in Mississippi, it's another stab in the heart of some folks who are clinging to the old days. It's another sign of us moving forward. You would think everyone would say, "About damn time!"

But, that is wishful thinking. Crickets.

Trump now makes this a culture war issue, when it should be a common sense issue. This is proof that it does have an impact, because Trump is testing it out with his tweets and speeches indirectly with all his tap dancing and innuendo. I wish some of you would admit that Trump plays on race just like the Democrats. He never directly does it..he codes it with trigger words and retweets. He always knows exactly what to say to rile people up. Or as they say, owning the libs. How is that helpful...how is that leading the country? He's just as culpable.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ddr_jr View Post
    These flags coming down 30/40 years too late is a non issue? It's not a real problem? Easy for you to say.
    Yes, it is easy to say. It's also true.

It is hollow symbolism.

Tilting a windmills. The equivalent of a straw man.

To people in the south, this flag meant "the south". But a decade or so ago, someone intent on dividing the country declared it a symbol of racism.

And for decades thereafter it was yet another thing in a long list of things upon which to divide people and set them against one another... and in the end accomplishing nothing.

Not one life was improved. Not one family lifted out of poverty. Not one man got a better education.

Just more sound and divisive fury to make activists feel good about failing to address real problems.

Trump now makes this a culture war issue, when it should be a common sense issue. This is proof that it does have an impact, because Trump is testing it out with his tweets and speeches indirectly with all his tap dancing and innuendo. I wish some of you would admit that Trump plays on race just like the Democrats. He never directly does it..he codes it with trigger words and retweets. He always knows exactly what to say to rile people up. Or as they say, owning the libs. How is that helpful...how is that leading the country? He's just as culpable.
    Why do you keep reaching for Trump as a diversion?

I'm not talking about Trump. I'm talking to you... very specifically.. about issues.

And when they get to be challenging for you, you seem to find it necessary to tell me why you think Trump sucks.

Stick to the subject and we can actual make some progress toward understanding one another.