Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: 'Enough Is Enough': Atlanta Mayor Calls For Violence To End After Child Killed

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    I grew up in the city. I'm out of solutions. I do know that if there are any, it has to start with the citizens. Hell I even proposed that me and some of my friends who own weapons to start a neighborhood patrol. Armed. That wouldn't have ended well, lol. I still care though.

I used to be able to reach them when I was younger. I don't know now. Some of these kids are way out there. They are hardened even before reaching puberty. Boys and girls. I remember this one young man I met at my cousins funeral in the late '90's. Really smart kid. We talked about chess and chemistry. Eventually he stopped calling. Never knew what happened to him.
    Actual solutions include:

STOP PLAYING POLITICS WITH RACE

Return manufacturing jobs to the United States. They used to be a stepping stone out of poverty. Now that stepping stone is gone.

Stop pretending that college is for everyone, or that it even offers a benefit to most people. It doesn't

Offer insanely beneficial tax incentives to any company choosing to manufacture exclusively in the United States.

Declare most american cities, and a lot of the rust belt and appalachia "revitalization zones"

Offer even MORE beneficial tax incentives to any company choosing to build a manufacturing facility in a revitalization zone.

Offer even further beneficial tax incentives to any company choosing to establish apprenticeship programs for all positions, including traditionally "professional" positions.

Eliminate the stranglehold that inept administrators have on public education. Offer HUGE financial incentives to private alternatives in urban areas. Allow parents to choose where children attend school.

Stop incentivizing illlegitimate births, irresponsible behaviors, and unwillingness to care for one's own life by paying people money for it.

Stop the criminalization of drugs.

For starters

Re: 'Enough Is Enough': Atlanta Mayor Calls For Violence To End After Child Killed

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    Hmmm.

BLM leaders have called for ABOLISHING the police

And according to this article in Bloomburg:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...und-the-police

City officials in Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Portland, Seattle, Minneapolis, Chicago, St. Louis, Dallas, Austin, Hartford, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, and Durham have called for the reducing police budgets significantly... many stating their intention to replace police with counselors and social workers.
    Abolishing is too dramatic of a term. The Minnesota folks want to follow the Camden New Jersey model where they dismantled it...and rebuilt it better.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.wbu...ice-department

Fact being the police still exist. More trust within the community.

You didn't answer the question? Is it wrong to review police departments for waste, fraud and abuse? Why do they get a free pass? The military doesn't.

I'm sure you all saw the new Trump campaign video about Biden wanting to get rid of the police. Shameful, and a scare tactic regarding this subject. Reminds me of a verse in J Cole's, "Come Through and Chill"

"Trump saying slick shit...."

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I can see it now, "STOP beating that woman or I'll go to court and get a restraining order! It's not your fault that you're engaged in criminal activities, it's the SYSTEM that has let you down. Let me give you therapy, as long as I'm on the other side of the bullet-proof glass, and we will get to the historical root-causes that made you steal, injure, and even kill your fellow citizens."

What's wrong with that? ... Bc
    One thing politicians are good at Bc, is getting elected. Outside of that they serve no real purpose.

Blog Entries

Actual solutions include:

Return manufacturing jobs to the United States. They used to be a stepping stone out of poverty. Now that stepping stone is gone.

Stop pretending that college is for everyone, or that it even offers a benefit to most people. It doesn't

Offer insanely beneficial tax incentives to any company choosing to manufacture exclusively in the United States.

Declare most american cities, and a lot of the rust belt and appalachia "revitalization zones"

Offer even MORE beneficial tax incentives to any company choosing to build a manufacturing facility in a revitalization zone.

Offer even further beneficial tax incentives to any company choosing to establish apprenticeship programs for all positions, including traditionally "professional" positions.

Eliminate the stranglehold that inept administrators have on public education. Offer HUGE financial incentives to private alternatives in urban areas. Allow parents to choose where children attend school.

Stop incentivizing illlegitimate births, irresponsible behaviors, and unwillingness to care for one's own life by paying people money for it.

Stop the criminalization of drugs.

For starters
    This nails it. Now comes the hard part - finding a politician with the integrity to advance this agenda with prioritizing his/her own.

This nails it. Now comes the hard part - finding a politician with the integrity to advance this agenda with prioritizing his/her own.
    Yup.

And it starts with people at our level...

People being willing to actually hear one another... without assuming nefarious intent and "racism" because they assume that people only hold the positions that they hold because of some bi-polar filter through which the world is viewed.

We are as a nation spiraling into a polarized abyss from which we will not escape... unless the more sane among us can realize that we really don't disagree about as much as we thought... and that perhaps there are forces attempting to amplify every difference between us... because they want the abyss outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by ddr_jr View Post
    Abolishing is too dramatic of a term.
    Your beef isn't with me.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/12/o...nd-police.html

You didn't answer the question? Is it wrong to review police departments for waste, fraud and abuse? Why do they get a free pass? The military doesn't.
    Of course not. But if you think the sudden calls for defunding the police are some kind of fiscal responsibility catharsis on the part of leftist city governments, I think you may be being a little naive.

They told you what their intent was. And it isn't budget trimming

I'm sure you all saw the new Trump campaign video about Biden wanting to get rid of the police. Shameful, and a scare tactic regarding this subject. Reminds me of a verse in J Cole's, "Come Through and Chill"

"Trump saying slick shit...."

I haven't said a thing about Trump or Biden.

I'm talking about left wing city Mayors and City Councils.

Blog Entries

One thing politicians are good at Bc, is getting elected. Outside of that they serve no real purpose.
    Ya know Terps, that is a sad commentary. As a lad I believed our leaders thoughts were towards making our country a better place to live. As the years, decades went by, it became "How can I get re-elected? Which group do I have to pander to in order to get votes? If tearing down America will suit my purpose, then so be it. My platform is... LOL"

... Bc

Your beef isn't with me.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/12/o...nd-police.html

Of course not. But if you think the sudden calls for defunding the police are some kind of fiscal responsibility catharsis on the part of leftist city governments, I think you may be being a little naive.

They told you what their intent was. And it isn't budget trimming

I haven't said a thing about Trump or Biden.

I'm talking about left wing city Mayors and City Councils.
    What do you think about what happened in Camden New Jersey?

Sometimes when something is broken, creativity is the solution. In this one incident, the rebuilding of the department seemed to work.

I brought Trump up because that campaign video mirror the reteric some of these posts are using in the forum.

Scare tactics. We can agree that the right is really good using this tactic. The left has theirs tactics, the right has as theirs as well.

Let's stipulate, the police shoot too many unarmed Americans..white or black. If you remove race from the equation..is it wrong to review police budgeting to see if monies are wasted and if it could be redirected? What is the department incentive to reform? Money always the answer. Their pockets get tight..they'll put in reforms. Just like if these settlements the cities do with these families came out of cops pensions....there would be reforms and better behavior.

Off subject here, but if the George Floyd incident becomes the catalyst to stop that damn Confederate flag from waving on federal and government buildings....I'll take that...I hear DoD is next to band it...unless Trump blocks it because it's such important part of our heritage.

Blog Entries

Sometimes when something is broken, creativity is the solution. In this one incident, the rebuilding of the department seemed to work.

I brought Trump up because that campaign video mirror the reteric some of these posts are using in the forum.

Scare tactics. We can agree that the right is really good using this tactic. The left has theirs tactics, the right has as theirs as well.

Let's stipulate, the police shoot too many unarmed Americans..white or black. If you remove race from the equation..is it wrong to review police budgeting to see if monies are wasted and if it could be redirected? What is the department incentive to reform? Money always the answer. Their pockets get tight..they'll put in reforms. Just like if these settlements the cities do with these families came out of cops pensions....there would be reforms and better behavior.

Off subject here, but if the George Floyd incident becomes the catalyst to stop that damn Confederate flag from waving on federal and government buildings....I'll take that...I hear DoD is next to band it...unless Trump blocks it because it's such important part of our heritage.

Good post.

We had the entire country focused on the issue of police brutality and it's been co-opted by Marxist and anarchist revolutionaries. It was helped along by weak leaders undermining law enforcement and the rule of law.

It's hard to stop playing politics with race when the organization that has placed itself in the center precisely exists to play/leverage race to further their political aims. BLM is the politics of race.

I am unfamiliar with it.

I'm all about creative solutions to difficult problems. I'd like to learn more.

I guess I don't see the mirror. I have posted either the words of the officials being criticized, or direct characterizations of their positions as represented in media which is ostensibly favorable to their position (being careful not to mischaracterize)

The fact that you find the positions espoused by the mayors and city officials "Scary" says more about their position, than it does my honest portrayal of them. You might want to give that some thought.

Let's stipulate, the police shoot too many unarmed Americans..white or black. If you remove race from the equation..is it wrong to review police budgeting to see if monies are wasted and if it could be redirected?
    You seem to be conflating two unrelated problems here. Excessive police violence, and budgetary excess. Not sure what one has to do with the other. But it's the same disingenuous stuff that some city officials are employing in an attempt to have their cake and eat it too.

Police are killing us! Defund the Police! they say... and then they cut 22 million in police boats and horses.

It's just more of the same political theater. We're both grown ups... we see it for what it is in those particular cases. No need to pretend.

But that does nothing to mitigate the fact that there are actually people calling for either eliminating or significantly defunding police and replacing them with social workers.

What is the department incentive to reform? Money always the answer. Their pockets get tight..they'll put in reforms. Just like if these settlements the cities do with these families came out of cops pensions....there would be reforms and better behavior.
    It ought to be real and significant criminal penalty for misconduct, not only on the part of the offending officer, but on the part of any officer who does not fulfill his duty to protect citizens against police miscreants as well.

And that is the only reform necessary. (specifically regarding police)

And while you continue to pretend that this has a meaningful impact, the real problems continue unaddressed.
    Last edited by owknows; 07-07-2020 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    We had the entire country focused on the issue of police brutality and it's been co-opted by Marxist and anarchist revolutionaries. It was helped along by weak leaders undermining law enforcement and the rule of law.

It's hard to stop playing politics with race when the organization that has placed itself in the center precisely exists to play/leverage race to further their political aims. BLM is the politics of race.
    It is ALL the politics of division.

It's intent is to divide as many wedges between otherwise rational people as possible, so that they cannot recognize the dissolution of their society... their nation... by people for whom this is the ultimate goal.