Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Atheists may oppose Black National Anthem

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    As an atheist, I don’t really care. If it replaces that awful God bless the USA song, it’s even a plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Amen!

Personally, I don't see the point in playing the National Anthem before every game. It's so contrived at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Uli2001 View Post
    Even though we wish it weren't so, racial discrimination is real.
    Of course it is.

But that doesn't answer my question. I asked:

Isn't the supposed intent of all of these efforts, to make race, gender and sexual orientation irrelevant?

So that people don't care about it?

Why is it necessary to subdivide people into finer and finer identity groups?

Why is it necessary for people to constantly identify themselves by their differences if their intent is for everyone to make those differences irrelevant?

No it's not. Fighting injustice is not supremacy.
    It's a mask dude. Open thine eyes. A black national anthem? Come on. Imagine the outcry if there was a white national anthem. There'd be riots. This is not unity, it's racism on a glorified stage.

Actually, this is a common misconception, which I also used to have. Even though we wish it weren't so, racial discrimination is real. You can't fight it by saying it doesn't exist or that "I don't see race." It just doesn't work that way. You have to take positive actions to fight it, and to do this, you must definitely "see race."
    Dividing people by the color of their skin isn't a great way to fight racism.

We can have a more in depth conversation once this gets moved to the politics forum, if you want.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Wow!
    This will literally end racism once and for all. If Steve Biscotti had a sack he’d have Freddie Grays name painted on the field. I’m tired of seeing the innocent killed by our mean police!

Coming from someone who just personally finds the concept of patriotism odd (I don't hate it overall, though, as I can distinguish quite fine between being proud of one's country and being chauvinistic about it), and who has no problem having a robust discussion about the various sins of the American state, and again is broadly sympathetic towards the aims of the BLM movement, the optics of having "separate" national anthems is not just awful, but I think substantively empty and unnecessarily separatist. There is a difference in pointing out, for example, that the "American Dream", as it is, has largely been a fiction for the vast majority of working class people in the United States (this isn't to go hard on the US alone; upward class mobility is the exception, and not the rule, for every country in the world), but especially for African Americans through the imposition of slavery, apartheid, and then then the deindustrialization which started from the 80's onward; of realizing that the sort of idealized "America" presented in a national anthem never has substantively existed, especially not for the majority of black folks (would extend this to working class folks across racial lines), but of then making the sort of statement that black people are separate from the tradition or history of America, and somehow need their own anthem.

If anything, I find it to be a far more powerful statement to embrace the history, as twisted as it all is, and find common solidarity through promises deprived, rather than removing yourself from that tradition of broken promises. MLK constantly used the words of the founding fathers, and their mission statement, as something to hold the powerful in America accountable too. I think this is the better way to go, unless you're committed to a Garvyean separatist movement, which I find impractical but can at least respect on the principle of the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    As an atheist, I don’t really care. If it replaces that awful God bless the USA song, it’s even a plus.

As another atheist, cosign

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Does anyone on here really care about the national anthem? Or the kneeling? I'd really like to know why

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    Does anyone on here really care about the national anthem? Or the kneeling? I'd really like to know why
    Charley, YES I do care about our national anthem. I still stand, hand or hat over heart whenever it is played. Let us not demean or forget it's message to us Americans.

2nd, if someone cares to kneel, I don't mind. That's because in our great, free land people have freedom of speech.

Norman Rockwell :

“I do not agree with what you have to say, but I’ll defend to the death your right to say it.”

... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Charley, YES I do care about our national anthem. I still stand, hand or hat over heart whenever it is played. Let us not demean or forget it's message to us Americans.

2nd, if someone cares to kneel, I don't mind. That's because in our great, free land people have freedom of speech.

Norman Rockwell :

“I do not agree with what you have to say, but I’ll defend to the death your right to say it.”

... Bc
    I misspoke, I meant does anyone care what other people think of those things I mentioned. It doesn't bother me one bit if someone else doesn't view things the way I do.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Our National Anthem, presents a picture of the idealized America. While we haven't yet hit it, the picture should NEVER be withdrawn, marginalized, discredited or forgotten. If this happens, other pictures w/b substituted in its place. This is what totalitarianism tries to do.

That's what the left is trying to do here.We will no longer be seen as "The land of the free and the home of the brave". We'll be seen as corrupt with "systemic racism" and oppressive capitalism. We have to destroy that. Then, the left will impose THEIR vision of what we must be-you know-like Russia, China or maybe Cambodia. and I guarantee most of you won't like it.

But it will be too late.

Quote Originally Posted by mikezpen View Post
    Our National Anthem, presents a picture of the idealized America. While we haven't yet hit it, the picture should NEVER be withdrawn, marginalized, discredited or forgotten. If this happens, other pictures w/b substituted in its place. This is what totalitarianism tries to do.

That's what the left is trying to do here.We will no longer be seen as "The land of the free and the home of the brave". We'll be seen as corrupt with "systemic racism" and oppressive capitalism. We have to destroy that. Then, the left will impose THEIR vision of what we must be-you know-like Russia, China or maybe Cambodia. and I guarantee most of you won't like it.

But it will be too late.
    THAT is the goal. The driving force getting useful idiots like suburban white women yo clutch there pearls over their white privilege. Tear down the ideals and replace personal liberty with for the good of society