Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lamar Jackson Article on ESPN.com

Ravens Nest #1, Harford County

Blog Entries

Re: Lamar Jackson Article on ESPN.com

really good article, thanks for posting. I like how they discuss the Titans and Bills games and why repeats are not likely. Very interesting

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Only thing I'd quibble with on the Titans game is just how unusual it was from the perspective of turnovers. Lamar took great care of the ball last year, and what were we before the Titans game on 4th and 1s? Something inane right, like 90% conversion rate? And we fail two of them? Moving the ball was not the issue at all, and so yeah, while I think they did play a better style of defense against us than most teams did, that still wouldn't have amounted to much, had we just not like...turned the ball over so much/executed the stuff we did ALL year. So, I get the article is disputing the idea that the Titans "figured" out Lamar and that, but I would even dispute how effective that sort of approach would be in limiting Lamar next year. I'm highly skeptical...alas, I'm a homer lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    really good article, thanks for posting. I like how they discuss the Titans and Bills games and why repeats are not likely. Very interesting
    Repeats are possible.

IF I was another team, I would take the same approach. Better to do something that has worked than what the other teams did and lose easily.

Blog Entries

Sometimes we have to take a step back and realize that mistakes are not always a random coincidence at the professional level.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
    Repeats are possible.

IF I was another team, I would take the same approach. Better to do something that has worked than what the other teams did and lose easily.
    Yes but it’s more about what Julius said above. Flukey things

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Sometimes we have to take a step back and realize that mistakes are not always a random coincidence at the professional level.
    So would you say that going into next year, defenses are going to force Lamar Jackson to turn the ball over significantly more than he did last year? Of course the mistakes were not entirely random coincidences; the other team gets paid too, and the Titans as a whole made the plays they needed to make when they were there (picking off the tipped pass, picking off Lamar's second gimme, stripping Lamar when he held the ball way too long in the pocket, stopping us on some...interesting designed 4th and 1 run plays, making just enough big important plays on 3rd and goal/that one chunk TD off the blown coverage). What I am trying to say is that the Titans did not discover something in that game that will adversely affect Lamar Jacksons' 2020/1 season. Would you disagree with that? If so, I'm assuming you will answer yes to my first question.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Yes but it’s more about what Julius said above. Flukey things
    That’s right, lots of flukey things happened. Without doing the same game plan, they don’t get the opportunity to do flukes things.

I liked the part about Jackson's ability to read coverages. He does a great job of reading from the pocket and I wonder if that's because of the quick decisions he has to make in the Option. It probably feels to him like he has time to crack open a book or get a drink of water before deciding where to throw it.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    I liked the part about Jackson's ability to read coverages. He does a great job of reading from the pocket and I wonder if that's because of the quick decisions he has to make in the Option. It probably feels to him like he has time to crack open a book or get a drink of water before deciding where to throw it.
    Ken from Filmstudy has pointed out that Lamar is absolutely world class at reading leverage in the option, and that would almost certainly apply to reading the leverage/position of DB's and his WR's. It's a really interesting connection that isn't commented upon much; imagine when that sort of post-snap processing gets paired with pre-snap awareness? At this point Lamar might not seem like the typical young QB because his post-snap processing sort of makes up for any ground he lost pre-snap; when the pre-snap awareness becomes a boon, my god, right? I think it's much more that kinda stuff Lamar has room to grow in, rather then the literal way he throws the ball and whatnot (though of course there's some room there to grow too)

Quote Originally Posted by Julius486 View Post
    Ken from Filmstudy has pointed out that Lamar is absolutely world class at reading leverage in the option, and that would almost certainly apply to reading the leverage/position of DB's and his WR's. It's a really interesting connection that isn't commented upon much; imagine when that sort of post-snap processing gets paired with pre-snap awareness? At this point Lamar might not seem like the typical young QB because his post-snap processing sort of makes up for any ground he lost pre-snap; when the pre-snap awareness becomes a boon, my god, right? I think it's much more that kinda stuff Lamar has room to grow in, rather then the literal way he throws the ball and whatnot (though of course there's some room there to grow too)
    It's going to be phenomenal. When we drafted Lamar I wasn't real sure about him because due to lack of research. I didn't think we were looking for a QB. After watching film I knew we'd gotten the best QB in the last couple of years (excepting Mahomes) because of his arm talent while a lot of folks focused on his running. There was one pass during an away game he slid to the left before uncorking a 50 yard bomb that landed in the bucket of a receiver running full speed. That throw sold me on the young man.

Then last year on the second TD in the first half of the second Cleveland game. No other QB that I know of tries that throw. Under pressure he steps up in the pocket, sees a small window to the TE and lobs it over for the TD. The see it to throw it speed for Lamar Jackson is far better than any other QB I've seen. He simply doesn't make bad decisions with the ball. He'll make bad throws that get picked when his mechanics break down, but as for throwing into triple coverage or being baited I just haven't seen that happen yet.

Like you said, he's gonna mature and get more film in his brain. The league should be very worried. I also don't see the NFC winning a Super Bowl in the next decade thanks to him and Mahomes.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    It's going to be phenomenal. When we drafted Lamar I wasn't real sure about him because due to lack of research. I didn't think we were looking for a QB. After watching film I knew we'd gotten the best QB in the last couple of years (excepting Mahomes) because of his arm talent while a lot of folks focused on his running. There was one pass during an away game he slid to the left before uncorking a 50 yard bomb that landed in the bucket of a receiver running full speed. That throw sold me on the young man.

Then last year on the second TD in the first half of the second Cleveland game. No other QB that I know of tries that throw. Under pressure he steps up in the pocket, sees a small window to the TE and lobs it over for the TD. The see it to throw it speed for Lamar Jackson is far better than any other QB I've seen. He simply doesn't make bad decisions with the ball. He'll make bad throws that get picked when his mechanics break down, but as for throwing into triple coverage or being baited I just haven't seen that happen yet.

Like you said, he's gonna mature and get more film in his brain. The league should be very worried. I also don't see the NFC winning a Super Bowl in the next decade thanks to him and Mahomes.
    That td to Boykin in the Jets game was just mind-blowing.