Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Who does America owe reparations

Quote Originally Posted by iceman43 View Post
    I believe blacks born in the Jim Crow era. My mother deserves it. My older brother and I DONT since I was born after the civil rights act

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    That's a sensible take. One way to look at it is a punitive damages reward for psychological suffering as a result of government wrong doing, in this case inaction.

I can see that sort of avenue, legal action in the form of a class action lawsuit, being more likely to have success than a legislative one.

Those people of that era that are still alive were directly effected by an illegal act divided by our government. My mom is 66 and still can remember sitting in the back of the bus drinking in separate water fountains and being told you could go places because you were black

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I don’t mean to be insensitive, but seriously...how much $$$ has the USG given to the Black Community in subsidies since the 1960’s? My guess is that it would be a pretty astronomical amount of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is what I was saying the other day. The average black family is probably getting about $40-50k per year from the gov. In the form of free/ discounted housing, food, transportation. Phones, utilities, and cash

So to run the numbers. If all blacks don’t have to pay. And they are about 15% of the population. That means the other 85% have to come up with 14 trillion. My rough numbers are about $55k per person. My wife and two kids would have to kick in $220k. For something I have nothing to do with.

It ain’t gonna happen.

I believe blacks born in the Jim Crow era. My mother deserves it. My older brother and I DONT since I was born after the civil rights act

Where does the money come from?

Same place our stimulus magically came from

Those people of that era that are still alive were directly effected by an illegal act divided by our government. My mom is 66 and still can remember sitting in the back of the bus drinking in separate water fountains and being told you could go places because you were black

I am 53, and I can remember having to use separate student unions. Special black only colleges, tv networks and movements aimed at benefiting only blacks. So in a way, should I get reparations also?

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    I am 53, and I can remember having to use separate student unions. Special black only colleges, tv networks and movements aimed at benefiting only blacks. So in a way, should I get reparations also?
    You are not effected by an illegal act of the government where you were told by the government you could not use these things by law. You reaching and you know this

I agree, that's crazy. It's just crazy that we are not that far removed from that. I was born in 66 and don't remember any of that. We were one of the first generations that did not see it directly. I remember my older brother telling me about when they integrated the pool we attended in Calverton my Dad and Mom in a shouting match with members who were trying to block black people from entering.

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    I agree, that's crazy. It's just crazy that we are not that far removed from that. I was born in 66 and don't remember any of that. We were one of the first generations that did not see it directly. I remember my older brother telling me about when they integrated the pool we attended in Calverton my Dad and Mom in a shouting match with members who were trying to block black people from entering.
    You were born right as change was starting I can dig your honesty brother. We are not far removed from not being equal people dont seem to get that

Same place our stimulus magically came from

So.... stealing from people who work for a living.

And their children.

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post

And their children.
    Just as the government stole the rights of those people born in that era

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post

And their children.
    Quite honestly the real answer is either thin air, or a loan from China we never plan to pay back.

Government spending has only about half to do with taxes at this point, the rest comes from one of the sources I pointed to.

This Covid pandemic will cost about $10T to the fed government and my guess is that taxpayers will pay money of that(except through inflation).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk