Page 1 of 13 123 ... LastLast

Who does America owe reparations

I am hearing more and more, about how America, as a racist country, treated blacks bad, so they are owed reparations. I am curious, how much have people thought about this?

A couple of things come to mind.
    1. We keep hearing how slaves were a southern thing, that is why we have to remove the confederate flag and all statues of confederates. So shouldn’t the confederate states be the ones to reimburse? But wait, we also keep hearing that the confederate states lost, so how can the confederate states pay if they don’t exist anymore.

2. If confederates lost the war, so therefore, they don’t deserve and recognition of their last. And all states and reference to them must be removed. Why do we honor Indians? Didn’t we beat them and take over there land also? Shouldn’t we be treating Indians the same as we treat confederates? They lost, let’s erase all history of them.

3. What about Italians and Jews? They were used as slaves also. I am Italian. Should I be expecting reparations?

4. If reparations are paid. Who gets the money? Just those that were actual slaves? Maybe their children also? But what about someone’s Great aunts cousin that was a slave? What if no one in your family was a slave, but you are black. What if you are black, but your ancestors came here after slavery ended? Or is this just “let’s pay all blacks, even if you identify as a black”

5. There is talk to make the confederate flag illegal to fly. Because they enslaved people and then lost a war to the US. Didn’t Japan, Vietnam, and Germany also enslaved Americans and lose a war to us. Should we ban those flags also?

Re: Who does America owe reparations

"America" doesn't have any money, that it doesn't first take from someone else.

So the proper question is who should be robbed, and who should the government sanctioned robbers be?
    Last edited by owknows; 06-28-2020 at 08:19 AM.

Now here’s a topic o can actually agree with you two on 100%.

Seriously. How can anyone be held accountable for something that happened 150 yrs ago?

I’m 100% that slavery was and is a terrible thing. But how do you assign a monetary value to it ? Should all African Americans receive a check? Only the ones who have direct ties to a slave? And who would pay? Slave owner descendants? The Fed? Every Anglo-Saxon?

If we’re kicking out money...shouldn’t the Hebrews be first in line? They’ve been persecuted throughout history. Made slaves and basically ran out of every country they’ve ever been. Who’s paying them?

How about we hold the African slavetraders accountable? They gathered up the slaves for sale? They made money from the sale of human beings. They sold their OWN people ! ( a very Sorros idea. Bet he’s sorry he wasn’t around then).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    I am hearing more and more, about how America, as a racist country, treated blacks bad, so they are owed reparations. I am curious, how much have people thought about this?

1. We keep hearing how slaves were a southern thing, that is why we have to remove the confederate flag and all statues of confederates. So shouldn’t the confederate states be the ones to reimburse? But wait, we also keep hearing that the confederate states lost, so how can the confederate states pay if they don’t exist anymore.

2. If confederates lost the war, so therefore, they don’t deserve and recognition of their last. And all states and reference to them must be removed. Why do we honor Indians? Didn’t we beat them and take over there land also? Shouldn’t we be treating Indians the same as we treat confederates? They lost, let’s erase all history of them.

3. What about Italians and Jews? They were used as slaves also. I am Italian. Should I be expecting reparations?

4. If reparations are paid. Who gets the money? Just those that were actual slaves? Maybe their children also? But what about someone’s Great aunts cousin that was a slave? What if no one in your family was a slave, but you are black. What if you are black, but your ancestors came here after slavery ended? Or is this just “let’s pay all blacks, even if you identify as a black”

5. There is talk to make the confederate flag illegal to fly. Because they enslaved people and then lost a war to the US. Didn’t Japan, Vietnam, and Germany also enslaved Americans and lose a war to us. Should we ban those flags also?
    For the record....we ( America) didn’t defeat the Viet-Kong. The Commies “won” that “Police Action” since we pulled out and the entire country is now under communist rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    For the record....we ( America) didn’t defeat the Viet-Kong. The Commies “won” that “Police Action” since we pulled out and the entire country is now under communist rule.

Details details. Ha

Blog Entries

FTR, America does not owe me any reparations. My parents brought up my older brother and me in a loving, respectful way. We passed that on to our daughter. Family is the key. I had a long and successful career which has the wife and I comfortably retired. I mention those things because there is a price to pay : I paid my taxes, vote, serve on Jury duty when called, have an Honorable Discharge from the U.S. Army, and never once have committed a crime. Yes, the price is being a good citizen, as he told us :

Too many want life handed to them on a silver platter. Well, someone has to pay for that platter... Bc

I understand and fully agree with all of the arguments against reparations.

The only reason I have given it a listen recently is due to my respect for Robert Johnson who has a 14 Trillion dollar plan that would give 350K each to descendants of slaves. He said something to the effect that black people in general are the most forgiving group you could ever find if you made them whole. The other thing he said is giving money to bureaucrats to dole out as they see fit is the WRONG approach. He also said black people, as do most, respect cash.

Let's assume out government magically found 14 trillion dollars in wealth, like an undiscovered vibranium deposit on federal lands, lol, and we just said, let's use that and pulled the trigger. First of all, I would love to see Dave Chappelle do that sketch, essentially every African American person in the US pulling a 350K lottery ticket on the same day. Comedy gold no doubt. I'm wondering what that would end up doing for the recipients? How would it end up impacting race relations? How would it impact the economy? How would it impact society?

I think it's safe to say we will never find out due to the fact, as Oknows put it, the money given will be taken from someone else as that's how the US government makes all it's money and I just don't think politically that will ever be possible.

I don't think it hurts to engage in reparations discussions if for no other reason than as a thought experiment.
    Last edited by BustOfPallas; 06-28-2020 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post

I think it's safe to say we will never find out due to the fact, as Oknows put it, the money given will be taken from someone else as that's how the US government makes all it's money and I just don't think politically that will ever be possible.
    I suspect it may be more politically possible than you might believe.

But my objection to it is based on morality.

You may not rob a man who has done you no harm, to enrich yourself, and call it justice.

It is an injustice.

For my entire adult life I have already been robbed by my countrymen to pay for their wants and needs.

I'm quite sure I've already surrendered at least $350,000 of money that I have earned.. to people who have not earned it.

That too is injustice.

And not satisfied with the proceeds of that injustice, the demands grow higher... so high in fact... that we must steal our childrens's money... and our grandchildren's.

I say enough. My children and my grandchildren will not live as cattle to be milked by the state.

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    I suspect it may be more politically possible than you might believe.

But my objection to it is based on morality.

You may not rob a man who has done you no harm, to enrich yourself, and call it justice.

It is an injustice.

For my entire adult life I have already been robbed by my countrymen to pay for their wants and needs.

I'm quite sure I've already surrendered at least $350,000 of money that I have earned.. to people who have not earned it.

That too is injustice.

And not satisfied with the proceeds of that injustice, the demands grow higher... so high in fact... that we must steal our childrens's money... and our grandchildren's.

I say enough. My children and my grandchildren will not live as cattle to be milked by the state.
    Again, I fully understand your point of view.

I think for a lot of people the thought discussion is a non-starter. I just don't think even if there was a way to do it without taking money from anyone (i.e. huge vibranium deposits found on Federal Land) it would not cause enough mayhem and bad consequences for it to we worth doing. The recent Covid 19 riots (lets face it, that's what they are) has been a small window into what our country would look like if you paid people not to work. It might create more unrest, not less. I'm no sure any system where men don't have to strive to achieve and better themselves will work if you provide a shortcut to the main driver which is attainment of wealth.

Blog Entries

I don’t mean to be insensitive, but seriously...how much $$$ has the USG given to the Black Community in subsidies since the 1960’s? My guess is that it would be a pretty astronomical amount of money.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I believe blacks born in the Jim Crow era. My mother deserves it. My older brother and I DONT since I was born after the civil rights act

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post

To answer questions 5 those flag such as the Nazi German flag and the empire of Japan probably should probably go as those countries even bans the use of those flags

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by iceman43; 06-28-2020 at 12:12 PM.