Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Appreciate history!

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    Was it racism that caused the black slave traders to capture the black slaves and sell them to Europeans?

Or was it racism that caused Romans to enslave their white battle captives?

Or racism that caused Muslims to enslave other Arabs?

Maybe they were just shitty people.

But you are evading (intentionally) the point.

WHY DID YOU NOT SUFFER FROM THIS RACISM YOU CLAIM IS BEING PRACTICED TODAY?

How have you succeeded?

Didn't you just tell me it was because of your behavior?
    You just don't understand how racism works my friend.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/north-car...ople-civil-war

Do you think what I have accomplished matters at all to these people?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bandc View Post

https://www.foxnews.com/us/north-car...ople-civil-war

Do you think what I have accomplished matters at all to these people?
    Boy… that's the ironic statement of the century.

No, that just allows me to be a leader and gives me the ability to give back in ways that others may not.

For example, if you look at some of the best and brightest among black leaders throughout history like Thurgood Marshall, Robert Abbot Muhammad Ali, Ella Baker, James Baldwin, MLK, etc....they could've used their gifts to make millions, go sit in the 'burbs somewhere, not say a peep about injustice, and most importantly, vote against things that would help their fellow man. But thank God they didn't see it that way. They saw the privilege and gifts they had and made sure to keep their hearts in the right place and work to pull everyone else up as well.
    Would be happy to see you help lead and help guide change.

But you really are still evading the question.

Why didn't systematic racism prevent you from becoming successful?

You are a black man.

And when I asked you how you managed to succeed, you mentioned discipline instilled in you from family, education, and sports.

I don't think you would argue that you are special... somehow better than other black men in America. But clearly you succeeded (as do many) where others fail. Are the success cases just the people who we lucky enough to escape the evil white man's oppression?

Or is it possible that your behavior may have actually shaped your successful outcome?

And that anyone willing to express those behaviors could achieve that same outcome.

Is that possible? Even overwhelmingly likely? Or are you different?

I have led you to the water... but I cannot make you drink. That, you must do for yourself.

If you really wish to lead... to effect change... I have no doubt that you can. But you will not effect positive change by continuing to perpetuate the victim stereotype. Black men are not victims. Telling them they are from an early age robs them of dignity, and the power of self-determination. It is the most horrific of psychological crimes.

Any man may choose to succeed. Any man may choose indifference.

You are testimony to choosing success. And you know in your heart that you are not better than others who share your skin color. Your choices and your behaviors shaped your outcome. And those same choices and behaviors would have given others the same outcome.

Do that... teach that... and you will be a leader of men.

Continue to fill the minds of your brothers with victimhood, despair, and the politics of envy, and you will hasten their descent into ruin.

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    I have led you to the water... but I cannot make you drink. That, you must do for yourself.

If you really wish to lead... to effect change... I have no doubt that you can. But you will not effect positive change by continuing to perpetuate the victim stereotype. Black men are not victims. Telling them they are from an early age robs them of dignity, and the power of self-determination. It is the most horrific of psychological crimes.

Any man may choose to succeed. Any man may choose indifference.

You are testimony to choosing success. And you know in your heart that you are not better than others who share your skin color. Your choices and your behaviors shaped your outcome. And those same choices and behaviors would have given others the same outcome.

Do that... teach that... and you will be a leader of men.

Continue to fill the minds of your brothers with victimhood, despair, and the politics of envy, and you will hasten their descent into ruin.
    Sir, personal accountability and fighting for justice are two completely things. Part of my faith upbringing was about understanding that. Isaiah 11:17 is just as important to me as the biblical message of being accountable for the type of person I turn out to be.

The great black leaders that we as a community have today are called great because they understood BOTH personal accountability and the need to call out the everyday injustices that created victims of black Americans.

Blog Entries

Sir, personal accountability and fighting for justice are two completely things. Part of my faith upbringing was about understanding that. Isaiah 11:17 is just as important to me as the biblical message of being accountable for the type of person I turn out to be.

The great black leaders that we as a community have today are called great because they understood BOTH personal accountability and the need to call out the everyday injustices that created victims of black Americans.
    You're still not addressing how you managed to be successful in the face of systemic racism. Why are you unique?

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    You almost sound like a conservative here, lol. Lot's of similarities with my family. Like you I recognize that my primary privilege was having the two amazing parents I did. My Dad was a track guy like you. He ran track at the Naval Academy and turned down a track scholarship at Notre Dame to become a Midshipman. I think he had the MD state record in the 400 at one point. Very involved in our College admissions and education. He's a big time FDR loving Democrat btw. I'm still pissed I didn't get his wheels.
    lol I'm upset I didn't get the wheels my little brother and sister got. Although I think since they had to chase me around, it made them faster than me in the end lol

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    You're still not addressing how you managed to be successful in the face of systemic racism. Why are you unique?
    He actually nailed it on the head. He had good parents/parenting. You could pluck any kid out of any bad neighborhood in America and, assuming they don't have organic damage from their parents choices i.e. fetal alcohol syndrome etc.., radically improve their likelihood of being successful by raising them well.

I have no illusions that if I was raised by lousy/absent parents in some of the sh**holes here in America I would not be dead or in jail. Probably the former.

You and society would be better served if you were preaching more God, family and education as opposed to racists are keeping us down. Every ethnic group that ending up thriving did that and did not play the victim. Jews have probably been more persecuted than blacks in history, yet that managed to make a quality life for themselves. And they didn’t do it by plsythe victim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    He actually nailed it on the head. He had good parents/parenting. You could pluck any kid out of any bad neighborhood in America and, assuming they don't have organic damage from their parents choices i.e. fetal alcohol syndrome etc.., radically improve their likelihood of being successful by raising them well.

I have no illusions that if I was raised by lousy/absent parents in some of the sh**holes here in America I would not be dead or in jail. Probably the former.
    But even with all that, wouldn't a racist system still not allow you to succeed?

I am telling you sincerely, that you are willfully evading the most important point of all of these discussions.

Self-deception is a very bad practice.

You can no longer claim that you do not see.

But you can cover your eyes to that which you do not wish to see.

Your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    You and society would be better served if you were preaching more God, family and education as opposed to racists are keeping us down. Every ethnic group that ending up thriving did that and did not play the victim. Jews have probably been more persecuted than blacks in history, yet that managed to make a quality life for themselves. And they didn’t do it by plsythe victim
    The Germans also gave Jews reparations lol