Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Appreciate history!

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I didn’t want to make a new thread, but I was thinking, and wanted a few different viewpoints on why it is, that by and large(not an absolute term) Asians are unaffected by racism.
    Why does racism primarily affect our black brothers and sisters? This line of thinking doesn’t correspond well with the white supremacy arguments being tossed around now. I even find that racism against the Latinos among us is rapidly disappearing.

Does anyone have an explanation they would like to share or does anyone believe that my interpretation is incorrect?
    Perhaps it isn't race at all that people feel biased against.

Perhaps it is behaviors.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    It was a joke. Lighten up Francis
    My bad. I kinda did think it read as a joke a couple mins after I pressed send. My fault.

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post

Perhaps it is behaviors.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bandc View Post
    My bad. I kinda did think it read as a joke a couple mins after I pressed send. My fault.

How have you managed to succeed in the face of the overwhelming oppression that white supremacy has visited upon you?

Why are you blessed, where others are cursed?

Specifically... why do you think it might be?
    1. My parents passed along to me a strong foundation of faith and belief in God. That helped to give me structure concerning my behaviors and allowed me to make good decisions about who I let into my life, but more so about how I treat others around me.

2. Education and reading was pushed in my family. Especially from my dad. He also helped me make the great decision of choosing a worthwhile major in college as opposed to one that might not yield a permanent job. I'm glad I let my dad think for my 18-year-old self.

3. Sports. I was able to run track as a Scholarship athlete through college, and the amount of dedication it took has had enduring effects concerning working together, eating properly, staying in shape, and just knowing how to uplift others around you when they are going through a tough time.

These are pretty cliche, but this is a common recipe for a lot of people who you would deem to be "successful." Are there plenty of things that I would love to change concerning my habits. For sure. But I'm glad I do have an understanding of the tools to get there.

Also, everything I listed I deem to be a privilege. Growing up in a strong faith with parents who live what they preach I deem to be a privilege that not many have. It makes staying out of trouble easier in my opinion. Same goes for parents who understand the value of education, and also the athletic ability to play sports at a relatively high enough level to get a scholarship. They are all privileges that I have that try not to take for granted.

Perhaps it is behaviors.
    Dang, then what behaviors were the slaves doing that caused slave owners to be racist against them?

1. My parents passed along to me a strong foundation of faith and belief in God. That helped to give me structure concerning my behaviors and allowed me to make good decisions about who I let into my life, but more so about how I treat others around me.

2. Education and reading was pushed in my family. Especially from my dad. He also helped me make the great decision of choosing a worthwhile major in college as opposed to one that might not yield a permanent job. I'm glad I let my dad think for my 18-year-old self.

3. Sports. I was able to run track as a Scholarship athlete through college, and the amount of dedication it took has had enduring effects concerning working together, eating properly, staying in shape, and just knowing how to uplift others around you when they are going through a tough time.

These are pretty cliche, but this is a common recipe for a lot of people who you would deem to be "successful." .
    I don't see them as cliche at all. In fact, these things really ARE the recipe for success.

And I congratulate you for it.

But it really flies in the face of the idea that there is some kind of systematic racist barrier to success in this country that keeps people from achieving their dreams if they share your skin color... does it not?

Dang, then what behaviors were the slaves doing that caused slave owners to be racist against them?
    Was it racism that caused the black slave traders to capture the black slaves and sell them to Europeans?

Or was it racism that caused Romans to enslave their white battle captives?

Or racism that caused Muslims to enslave other Arabs?

Maybe they were just shitty people.

But you are evading (intentionally) the point.

WHY DID YOU NOT SUFFER FROM THIS RACISM YOU CLAIM IS BEING PRACTICED TODAY?

How have you succeeded?

Didn't you just tell me it was because of your behavior?

Blog Entries

These are pretty cliche, but this is a common recipe for a lot of people who you would deem to be "successful." Are there plenty of things that I would love to change concerning my habits. For sure. But I'm glad I do have an understanding of the tools to get there.

Also, everything I listed I deem to be a privilege. Growing up in a strong faith with parents who live what they preach I deem to be a privilege that not many have. It makes staying out of trouble easier in my opinion. Same goes for parents who understand the value of education, and also the athletic ability to play sports at a relatively high enough level to get a scholarship. They are all privileges that I have that try not to take for granted.
    This is one of the reasons for the decline of our society. Growing up like you did should be the norm, unfortunately it's not.

It's also the greatest predictor of success/failure. , regardless of race.

You almost sound like a conservative here, lol. Lot's of similarities with my family. Like you I recognize that my primary privilege was having the two amazing parents I did. My Dad was a track guy like you. He ran track at the Naval Academy and turned down a track scholarship at Notre Dame to become a Midshipman. I think he had the MD state record in the 400 at one point. Very involved in our College admissions and education. He's a big time FDR loving Democrat btw. I'm still pissed I didn't get his wheels.

I don't see them as cliche at all. In fact, these things really ARE the recipe for success.

And I congratulate you for it.

But it really flies in the face of the idea that there is some kind of systematic racist barrier to success in this country that keeps people from achieving their dreams if they share your skin color... does it not?
    No, that just allows me to be a leader and gives me the ability to give back in ways that others may not.

For example, if you look at some of the best and brightest among black leaders throughout history like Thurgood Marshall, Robert Abbot Muhammad Ali, Ella Baker, James Baldwin, MLK, etc....they could've used their gifts to make millions, go sit in the 'burbs somewhere, not say a peep about injustice, and most importantly, vote against things that would help their fellow man. But thank God they didn't see it that way. They saw the privilege and gifts they had and made sure to keep their hearts in the right place and work to pull everyone else up as well.

Blog Entries

Was it racism that caused the black slave traders to capture the black slaves and sell them to Europeans?

Or was it racism that caused Romans to enslave their white battle captives?

Or racism that caused Muslims to enslave other Arabs?

Maybe they were just shitty people.
    The long history of man is us destroying each other.