Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Redslurs logo/name change countdown ...

Not going to get into my thoughts on why I don’t think it should change, but with the current climate, it’s going to pick up some serious heat as we get closer to football season. Just move that team to northern va already so we can turn Montgomery and pg purple.

A personal story.

When I was kid and my uncle was still alive he worked as an industrial painter. One day one of his buddies brought a superball to a project site. The ball was about two inches round; you know, the standard kind you find in those little red candy machines on the way out of the supermarket.

Somehow or another the ball landed in some paint. Rather than throw it away, they kept it. The next day one of them intentionally painted the ball. Before you know it, another project, another color, another layer.

Sometimes my uncle brought the ball home. I'd be fascinated by its new color and new size. I couldn’t help but fleck away some of the outer layer of paint to see what color was underneath. Eventually, this two inch diameter superball grew to the size of a tennis ball.

Then it happened. Was it an accident? Or did curiosity overcome one of them? For whatever reason, one of them bisected the ball.

My uncle brought it home. Looking at its cross-section was like looking at the rings of a cut tree. It was a rainbow of rings, telling its life story and saying something about the history of the men who made it.

So, looking back I ask: how would you characterize this ball? Was it a superball with layers of paint? Or was it a paintball with a superball center?

I opt for the latter.

Strangers looking upon the ball were attracted to its outside, to its color, to its uniqueness. A superball wasn't unique, but this ball sure was.
    Moreover, a superball bounces, bounces high. Drop this ball, however, and you get a thud, a bounce, and another thud.

When I think of the Washington Redskins I think of Art Monk making a diving catch, of middle aged men donned in dresses and wearing pig's noses, of Joe Theisman's injury, of being force fed their games on TV, of RFK rafters rocking. Each a color. Each a layer paint. Each memory creating a ball different than the superball core.

Similarly, just as superball's job is too bounce high, a slur's job is promote hate and inferiority. But no one I know ever looked on the team and saw hate, no one ever used the word “redskins” to make someone feel inferior. Sure, someone can tell me origin story about an ugly core. But no one looked at that paintball and bounced it, and no one looked at the paintball and saw its superball core. They saw a sui genesis spectacle. You had to be told the superball was inside because that is neither what you were seeing nor what you were experiencing.

So, I say keep the paintball, keep the Washington Redskins. Keep the cultural acetone in the medicine cabinet. Stripping away the paint strips away the beauty. “Washington Redskins” is now something much more than the word “redskins” alone.

Revealing the ugly in something beautiful is not progress. Progress is turning something ugly into something beautiful. “Washington Redskins” has done more to defang the venom of the word “redskin” than has any hectoring or moralizing speech. Enjoy the progress. Paint another layer.

Blog Entries

Eskimo Pies to drop ‘derogatory’ name over racial insensitivity

https://nypost.com/2020/06/19/eskimo...mpression=true

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    This should be simple. Who would actually call a Native American a “Redskin”?
    That only proves that communication can't be divorced from context.

Quote Originally Posted by Blovius_Maximus View Post
    A personal story.

When I was kid and my uncle was still alive he worked as an industrial painter. One day one of his buddies brought a superball to a project site. The ball was about two inches round; you know, the standard kind you find in those little red candy machines on the way out of the supermarket.

Somehow or another the ball landed in some paint. Rather than throw it away, they kept it. The next day one of them intentionally painted the ball. Before you know it, another project, another color, another layer.

Sometimes my uncle brought the ball home. I'd be fascinated by its new color and new size. I couldn’t help but fleck away some of the outer layer of paint to see what color was underneath. Eventually, this two inch diameter superball grew to the size of a tennis ball.

Then it happened. Was it an accident? Or did curiosity overcome one of them? For whatever reason, one of them bisected the ball.

My uncle brought it home. Looking at its cross-section was like looking at the rings of a cut tree. It was a rainbow of rings, telling its life story and saying something about the history of the men who made it.

So, looking back I ask: how would you characterize this ball? Was it a superball with layers of paint? Or was it a paintball with a superball center?

I opt for the latter.

Strangers looking upon the ball were attracted to its outside, to its color, to its uniqueness. A superball wasn't unique, but this ball sure was.
    Moreover, a superball bounces, bounces high. Drop this ball, however, and you get a thud, a bounce, and another thud.

When I think of the Washington Redskins I think of Art Monk making a diving catch, of middle aged men donned in dresses and wearing pig's noses, of Joe Theisman's injury, of being force fed their games on TV, of RFK rafters rocking. Each a color. Each a layer paint. Each memory creating a ball different than the superball core.

Similarly, just as superball's job is too bounce high, a slur's job is promote hate and inferiority. But no one I know ever looked on the team and saw hate, no one ever used the word “redskins” to make someone feel inferior. Sure, someone can tell me origin story about an ugly core. But no one looked at that paintball and bounced it, and no one looked at the paintball and saw its superball core. They saw a sui genesis spectacle. You had to be told the superball was inside because that is neither what you were seeing nor what you were experiencing.

So, I say keep the paintball, keep the Washington Redskins. Keep the cultural acetone in the medicine cabinet. Stripping away the paint strips away the beauty. “Washington Redskins” is now something much more than the word “redskins” alone.

Revealing the ugly in something beautiful is not progress. Progress is turning something ugly into something beautiful. “Washington Redskins” has done more to defang the venom of the word “redskin” than has any hectoring or moralizing speech. Enjoy the progress. Paint another layer.
    That's a nice story but it's not very analogous to this situation.

No one was offended by the paintball. It didn't dehumanize anyone. Nor is there any beauty in a racist name to be lost or spoiled. "no one ever used the word “redskins” to make someone feel inferior." Are you joking?

I understand that there is a history and tradition to the name but that would be just as true for negative thing from the past. Should we change anything?

Imagine if the team was called the Washington N-words, would you defend that name too?
    Because, really, what's the difference between one dehumanising name for a group of people and another?

“Polack” is a slur.

“Polock Johnny's” is a fond feeling, a warm remembrance.

I can tell the difference between the two. Most people are capable of understanding context, and seeing nuance.

Changing brand names and ripping down statues is insulting. By stripping away complexity it robs people of the opportunity to make discernments. History and life's shades and tones are removed in favor of primary colors. Characterization replaces character.

We are wrongly encouraging fragility and simplicity.

Blog Entries

take down the racist statues but leave the war memorial in Iowa. It's.... let's say... different

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

That war memorial statutes offends my evolving notion of equality.

It perpetuates a heteronormative gender role of biologically assigned females as desirous sex objects or nurturing comforters and reconcilers. This in turn helps cement women into fields like nursing and teaching...fields that offer lower absolute pay or a lower rate of pay. The pay inequity serves to confine women by limiting their life options, options made available by higher pay.

PROBLEMATIC.

Now that you know this, any decision on your part to retain the statute proves that you are indifferent to the struggles of women and are likely a misogynist or sexist.

Remove it now and come to terms with your sexism or we will remove it for you and make further demands.

Signed,
    Jacqueline Derrida

“Polack” is a slur.

I can tell the difference between the two. Most people are capable of understanding context, and seeing nuance.

Changing brand names and ripping down statues is insulting. By stripping away complexity it robs people of the opportunity to make discernments. History and life's shades and tones are removed in favor of primary colors. Characterization replaces character.

There is no context or nuance that makes a racial slur 'a warm remembrance' unless you want to look back at the golden age of racism with misty eyes.

Taking down confederate statues doesn't erase history, it removes a daily provocation to black people in those towns. The history remains.

History is written by the winners, and while the south lost, their successors won locally and put up those statues to send a message to the people of their own time. Those ideas are now in the process of losing and people are choosing not to accept the message. Why isn't the symbolism of their removal just as historically relevant?

Wanting to preserve racist remnants isn't really a subtler, wiser, more nuanced position, as you are attempting to imply. It's an ideological position just as much the protestors' is.

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    I asked him here. Why would I bother to Pm someone? If someone can't/won't say something here, but feels a need to Pm someone, that tells me a lot. Kinda childish.
    you were curious to post so i thought you would take the next step and pm him ;)

“Polack” is a slur.

What you fail to understand is that none of these people actually care, its all proxy in their quest to satisfy their envy. Youre wasting your time.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Speaking of...

Statue of former Redskins owner George Preston Marshall removed from RFK Stadium :

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ed-rfk-stadium

"This symbol of a person who didn't believe all men and women were created equal and who actually worked against integration is counter to all that we as people, a city, and nation represent," the statement read. "We believe that injustice and inequality of all forms is reprehensible and we are firmly committed to confronting unequal treatment and working together toward healing our city and country."

... Bc
    I can't take the NFL seriously - this hypocritical story is case in point.