Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Redslurs logo/name change countdown ...

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    This should be simple. Who would actually call a Native American a “Redskin”?
    These days? Not too many. Go watch a Western movie from the 50's or earlier and you will hear it and it's definitely used as a slur

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    These days? Not too many. Go watch a Western movie from the 50's or earlier and you will hear it and it's definitely used as a slur
    If that's the case, does anyone else not see the irony of ironies here that the poster who started a thread about it changing because it's offensive also have it as their screen name?!?!

3. Re: Redslurs logo/name change countdown ...

I'm still trying to figure out why someone w/a name of RedSkins Fury would bother to be offended by the name and why they would make a thread using the term "Redslurs" in the heading, then proceed to knock the use of the name/word. Gotta love it. So many people just have to look for things to be offended by.

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out why someone w/a name of RedSkins Fury would bother to be offended by the name and why they would make a thread using the term "Redslurs" in the heading, then proceed to knock the use of the name/word. Gotta love it. So many people just have to look for things to be offended by.
    Pm him and ask 🤗

Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

I've posted this before, but it bears repeating. Miami U. (in Oxford, OH, north of Cincitucky.......Harbs Alma Mater and he has a statue there now after winning a SB) years ago was under fire for the "Redskins" name. The folks campaigning for the name change sought out the eldest living member of the Miami Tribe and he wanted nothing to do with the name change. Said if anything, it gives them some recognition.

The "nothing better to do and all day to do it" contingent finally got their way and now it's Red Hawks. There are still many Miami Redskins street signs affixed to mailboxes around here.

6. Re: Redslurs logo/name change countdown ...

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    Pm him and ask ��
    I asked him here. Why would I bother to Pm someone? If someone can't/won't say something here, but feels a need to Pm someone, that tells me a lot. Kinda childish.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    As an aside : The Cleveland Indians have removed "Chief Wahoo" (a caracature) from their uniforms and now have a block C :

I'm no ultra-liberal, but I do think "Redskins" portrays a negative connotation.
    This may not be realistic, but if I were Snyder I'd get 5 or 6 possible names, and let people vote for their favorite. IIRC, didn't Art Modell do something similar when he couldn't take the name "Browns" with him to Baltimore?

Do I make sense to you? ... Bc
    they should take it further and go back to being the Cleveland Spiders

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioleWay View Post
    I've posted this before, but it bears repeating. Miami U. (in Oxford, OH, north of Cincitucky.......Harbs Alma Mater and he has a statue there now after winning a SB) years ago was under fire for the "Redskins" name. The folks campaigning for the name change sought out the eldest living member of the Miami Tribe and he wanted nothing to do with the name change. Said if anything, it gives them some recognition.

The "nothing better to do and all day to do it" contingent finally got their way and now it's Red Hawks. There are still many Miami Redskins street signs affixed to mailboxes around here.
    Nice use of anecdata, except for that fact that, in 1996, the Mayaamia tribe itself specifically requested that the name be changed.

https://www.miamioh.edu/miami-tribe-...ory/index.html
    https://oklahoman.com/article/254508...dskin-nickname
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but NOT to their own facts" - Daniel P. Moynihan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    they should take it further and go back to being the Cleveland Spiders

Rwt, nice and not a bad idea nowadays... unless you've got arachnophobia... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    That just asserting that it’s racist the same way everyone else is. No one is answering how it is racist.

I’m not saying it isn’t, so if it is okay fine, but no one has answered the question.
    Okay, here you go:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...c62_story.html

https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...n-name-update/

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...ory-of-redskin

The origin of the word may not have been (and probably was not) racist, just as we refer to people now as "black" and "white" without using it as a racial epithet. But then again, the origin of the n-word (which is pretty clearly racist, so much so that we can't actually even use it but refer to it as "the n-word") was also just a corruption of the Spanish word for black. The origin does not matter; it is its usage over time that made it a racist slur. This is the same case with redskin. Clearly over time it became used as a racial slur. Webster's Dictionary had it listed as "often contemptous" all the way back in the 19th century.

At some point, the question stops being "why change the name?" and starts being "why the fuck NOT change the name?" I mean really. Even if you're ONLY offending 30% of Native Americans, why not just stop? You would never call someone a redskin to their face. So why not just do it? Change the name. It certainly can't hurt your marketing at this point. Do like the Bullets did, and act like you're doing something for a noble reason when it really just gives you a chance get off the bottom of the NFL's merchandise list.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Never heard the term other than for the football team...
    For a reason.....................
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Nice use of anecdata, except for that fact that, in 1996, the Mayaamia tribe itself specifically requested that the name be changed.

https://www.miamioh.edu/miami-tribe-...ory/index.html
    https://oklahoman.com/article/254508...dskin-nickname
    My heads gonna explode with everyone being offended by everything. Why don't we just use numbers instead of names. Mathematics are universal.

Oh hell....forgot about the prison system, now I'm racist again for wanting numbers