Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2829303132 ... LastLast

Re: Redslurs logo/name change countdown ...

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePill View Post
    I thought this too until I read that they are moving away from American Indian relation completely. I originally heard he wanted to keep the same uniforms and logos so "Warriors" far and away made the most sense. But if he's moving away from Indian symbolism I have to think "Redtails" will be it. That name is really picking up steam with the BLM stuff and the chance to honor the military. It does make some sense.

My preference (not a Skins fan here) would be go with Warriors and use the helmet with the arrow on it. Probably the best helmet the Slurs ever wore.
    A few years ago I read that a motivation for having the Land-o-Lakes lady was to prevent the cultural disappearance of Native Americans.

Over correction and bad choices tend to be made in hot times like ours.

We've had fun offering goofy new names for the team. If Snyder wanted to add some gasoline to this he would overcorrect, correct so much as to be mocking, mocking so as to throw a bone to the people who supported the name Redskins. Name the team the Pajama Boys (put Pajama Boy's profile on the helmet). Name them the Cancellers, a white helmet with the Ghostbusters red circle and bar but nothing behind it.

For one year have a mocking placeholder name. Then, like with New Coke (or something), rename the team something that everyone can get behind. Give the name-changers their victory, but give the name preservers one year (and forever collectible merchandise) to express an FU attitude.

Not good for community (a goal of team). But good for right now, a time when it seems people want to fight.

I thought this too until I read that they are moving away from American Indian relation completely. I originally heard he wanted to keep the same uniforms and logos so "Warriors" far and away made the most sense. But if he's moving away from Indian symbolism I have to think "Redtails" will be it. That name is really picking up steam with the BLM stuff and the chance to honor the military. It does make some sense.

My preference (not a Skins fan here) would be go with Warriors and use the helmet with the arrow on it. Probably the best helmet the Slurs ever wore.
    Here's more on "Warriors" from DC's fake news paper this morning:

“We came up with a couple of names — two of them I really like,” Redskins Coach Ron Rivera said Saturday, one day after the team announced it is undergoing “a thorough review” of the name the franchise has had since 1933.

Rivera declined to reveal the possibilities but said he believes the most important criteria for a new name is that it is respectful of Native American culture and traditions and also is a tribute to the military. He indicated Snyder agrees with that sentiment. Warriors could fit the bill.

On his podcast Friday, The Team 980’s Kevin Sheehan said he had it “on pretty good authority” that the leading contender for the replacement name is Warriors.

“I don’t think that’s a reveal by any stretch,” Sheehan said. “I think people do know that the Redskins have marked Washington Warriors just in case and that this has been the way. … I would bet big money on the Warriors being the new name for the football team.”

Indeed, Snyder has already demonstrated his affinity for the Warriors name. It’s what he planned to call the Arena Football League team he purchased expansion rights for in 1999. Snyder applied for a trademark registration for “Washington Warriors” a few months later but has since abandoned the mark. The team, which was scheduled to begin play by 2003 and wear helmets modeled upon those worn by the Redskins in the 1960s, never came to fruition.

In 2013, Warriors was the winning entry in a contest sponsored by 99designs that featured 1,887 entrants.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Here's more on "Warriors" from DC's fake news paper this morning:
    I saw that too but wonder how can you go with "warriors" but remove all references to American Indians? I mean I guess anything or anyone can be a "warrior" but most people think about Indians when you hear that name, maybe because of the countless uses of the name in college and HS football all across the country. How do you both change the name to warriors and remove the symbolism at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    The only thing Amazon, Walmart, etc. are being threatened with is the prospect of some of their customers spending their money elsewhere. Your contention that "varied group of consumers with disparate interests and priorities" have to agree in order to make the pressure legitimate is laughable.
    How, then, do you define market?
    PepsiCo et al have market power. But exercise of market power is not necessarily an exercise of the free market. Antitrust law has much to say about that.

I don't think the wide and varied people have to agree. By no means will they. That's part of what makes it a market.

The legitimacy isn't in their agreement; the legitimacy is in their interest being weighed, and in their being the deciders.

Quote Originally Posted by Blovius_Maximus View Post
    A few years ago I read that a motivation for having the Land-o-Lakes lady was to prevent the cultural disappearance of Native Americans.

Over correction and bad choices tend to be made in hot times like ours.
    100%

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries

Lot of people are thinking it is going to be the Washington Warriors.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/washi...place-redskins

I did mention the Warriors as a likely name a few weeks ago when I found an article from a few years ago indicating that Dan Snyder had trademarked the Washington Warriors.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    What generation is today's generation? What age?

If they're the pussy generation does that make your generation the dick generation?
    Nah, that's the boomers for driving the economy off a cliff. ;)

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Welcome to the new normal because normal is always changing. That's the way society works.

Segregation was around for a very long time too and that same 'it's the way it's always been' argument was used. That hasn't been the norm now for 50 years so obviously the call to desegregate wasn't ignored.

We're talking about the name of a private company. If there comes a point where the brand is being held back by the name for the logo then the smart business decision is to change it.

Not every call

They get a
    That's how fraternities traditionally justify hazing as well.

Washington Defenders

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The Amoeba Boys.
    Figure out how to officially propose this.

I saw that too but wonder how can you go with "warriors" but remove all references to American Indians? I mean I guess anything or anyone can be a "warrior" but most people think about Indians when you hear that name, maybe because of the countless uses of the name in college and HS football all across the country. How do you both change the name to warriors and remove the symbolism at the same time?
    Honestly, I probably go basketball team, and the medieval fighters, but that might be because of fantasy computer games where that class was "warrior"

Quote Originally Posted by Blovius_Maximus View Post
    How, then, do you define market?
    PepsiCo et al have market power. But exercise of market power is not necessarily an exercise of the free market. Antitrust law has much to say about that.

I don't think the wide and varied people have to agree. By no means will they. That's part of what makes it a market.

The legitimacy isn't in their agreement; the legitimacy is in their interest being weighed, and in their being the deciders.
    This seems like a tough side to be on unless you feel that the team is entitled to those advertising dollars.