Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2122232425 ... LastLast

Re: Redslurs logo/name change countdown ...

No one goes to a Vikings game to celebrate pillaging and rape.
    No one goes to 49ers game to celebrate wearing jeans and panning for gold.
    No one goes to Bucs games to celebrate piracy and scurvy.
    And no one goes to Bengals games.

The same good sense that allows us to see the broader picture when it comes to those names isn't applied to Washington Redskins. Instead, we're asked to look at dictionary definition number one but ignore the definition supplied by decades of good practice and harmless intent. Myopia.

Blog Entries

I'm glad they're finally changing the racist name. A few other teams are next in line...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

By all means, let the market decide.

Put the name “Redskins” up for auction.

Call a press conference.
    Announce the team is up for auction on eBay.
    Reserve price is 80% of team names's FMV.
    Buy-in price to bid is 80% of reserve price.
    Buy-in is non-refundable.
    Auction is open for 45 days.

Now, during that 45 day period we'll finally have a national “conversation.”
    Now, we'll get to see whether those who claim to value tradition are sincere or just closeted bigots.
    Now, we'll get to see whether those who claim offense are sincere or just bullies looking to extort a concession or are mere free riders to those concessions.

Talk is cheap.
    Talk about warm and fuzzy feelings and happy memories — cheap.
    Talk about crippling or slight offensiveness — cheap.

Dan Snyder, eBay, and go fund me have a great opportunity to let a culture battle play out in the open. No Facebook boardroom. No New York Times cabal. No Supreme Court Justice's chambers. Right there on eBay. We prove what we value by paying for it.

End of discussion. Put the Benjamins and wampum on table.

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    Washington Savages?

Ooh yeeaaahhh!

P.S. Anyone else disappointed that the Orioles and Manny Machado never managed to effectively tie his name to Randy Savage's brand? Every home run an “ooh yeah” every great defensive play a “dig it.” So much potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Blovius_Maximus View Post
    No one goes to a Vikings game to celebrate pillaging and rape.
    No one goes to 49ers game to celebrate wearing jeans and panning for gold.
    No one goes to Bucs games to celebrate piracy and scurvy.
    And no one goes to Bengals games.

The same good sense that allows us to see the broader picture when it comes to those names isn't applied to Washington Redskins. Instead, we're asked to look at dictionary definition number one but ignore the definition supplied by decades of good practice and harmless intent. Myopia.
    That´s just silly, and you know it too.

Washington monuments?

Quote Originally Posted by Blovius_Maximus View Post

Blovius, a few pages back I asked you a question and you almost, but didn't quite, agree with me. (You wriggled out of by focusing on the wording of my question.)

So I'll rephrase it.

The scenario is that you get talking to a Native American in a bar. You've never met before. You get onto football and have an in depth conversation about the Washington team. You talk about the owner, the coaches, the roster, their draft and free agents. You talk about their tactics, strengths, weaknesses and prospects for the season. Over the course of this long conversation you say the name of the team, say 25 times. What name do you use: Washington or the Redskins? Honest answer please.

Quote Originally Posted by stevez51 View Post
    What do you do with the R .?
    It barely even looks like an R

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    Thank god for that. This thread was getting depressing a few pages back with all that hilarity about how other names could be offensive, as if the offensiveness of a name like Redskins was a marginal and subjective thing. (Having said that, a couple of those posts were actually quite funny.)
    They were mostly poking fun at society in general whining about everything

10. Re: Redslurs logo/name change countdown ...

Redtails for the win.

11. Re: Redslurs logo/name change countdown ...

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    I think my favorite so far is Natives and you keep the same logo.
    So....what will it now be called when someone buys tickets at face value, then sells them for over face value? Please don't say capitalism.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    Blovius, a few pages back I asked you a question and you almost, but didn't quite, agree with me. (You wriggled out of by focusing on the wording of my question.)

So I'll rephrase it.

The scenario is that you get talking to a Native American in a bar. You've never met before. You get onto football and have an in depth conversation about the Washington team. You talk about the owner, the coaches, the roster, their draft and free agents. You talk about their tactics, strengths, weaknesses and prospects for the season. Over the course of this long conversation you say the name of the team, say 25 times. What name do you use: Washington or the Redskins? Honest answer please.
    I'd say Redskins, 'Skins, or Washington equally throughout the conversation.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock