Page 4 of 240 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: A closer look at Miles Boykin

It's not unusual to see a big jump from 1st to 2nd year for a wide receiver. Last year we saw so many rookie receivers play well that it made those that didn't seem like they were behind. That's not normal though. This is season we should see something from Boykin if he really has it. A Michael Gallup type progression would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It's not unusual to see a big jump from 1st to 2nd year for a wide receiver. Last year we saw so many rookie receivers play well that it made those that didn't seem like they were behind. That's not normal though. This is season we should see something from Boykin if he really has it. A Michael Gallup type progression would be awesome.
    The most important thing that's got to go up for him is number of targets. Whatever he needs to do to get Lamar to throw the ball his way, including better route running and separation. I'm fairly confident his catch rate will at least be NFL average.

Right now there's a huge neon sign glowing above Hollywood Brown that says "throw to me". As much as he's working w/ Lamar; I mean, they look inseparable. And you know he's still going to try to find his man Mark Andrews. By the end of the season he was forcing balls to Andrews.

It's all about on-field chemistry right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvfZp-whRiQ

when asked about Myles GRo said "we plan on loading his plate up this year"

Good.

Few other tittybits in there, worth a watch for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by AQKingRaven View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvfZp-whRiQ

when asked about Myles GRo said "we plan on loading his plate up this year"

Good.

Few other tittybits in there, worth a watch for sure.
    Thanks! This interview also on Ravens dotcom:

Tidbit on Boykin @9:18:
    And then Miles Boykin, you mentioned, [we're] really gonna load his plate a lot more this year, and really ask a lot of him this year. We really feel like he's going to take a giant step.
    Fine by me. He's a prototypical "X" by body type & measurables: practically the Platonic ideal for that position. If he starts producing, that would go a long way toward the "undefendable offense" that DeCosta talked about.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Thanks! This interview also on Ravens dotcom:

Tidbit on Boykin @9:18:
    "Miles Boykin, [we're] really going to load his plate a lot more this year and really ask a lot of him this year," Offensive Coordinator Greg Roman said. "We really feel like he's going to take a giant step."
    Fine by me. He's a prototypical "X" by body type & measurables: practically the Platonic ideal for that position. If he starts producing, that would go a long way toward the "undefendable offense" that DeCosta talked about.
    Miles himself:

"I just feel like I've been getting better as an all-around player," Boykin said. "I was a rookie, and obviously, I went out there and did what I could. I'm capable of a lot more, and I'll be able to play faster this year, have more chemistry with Lamar and just be able to go out there and just play the game the way I know how to play."
    Let's go....when...if....the season starts I hope they force feed the ball to Boykin
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

He reminds me of Vincent Jackson. I think he could play a similar role for us.

I think the onlt thing possibly holding him back is our system. I mean, few WR:s are ever gonna put up big numbers here. That was true even before Lamars days, even more so now. But I really hope we see a lot more targets for him, he seems to have what it takes on and off the field.

Quote Originally Posted by G54377 View Post
    He reminds me of Vincent Jackson. I think he could play a similar role for us.
    I would take Vincent Jackson's career in a heartbeat.

Jackson vs Boykin
    RAS - 9.97 vs 9.94
    Height - 6'5" vs 6'4"
    Weight - 241 vs 220
    Speed (40) - 4.51 vs 4.42
    Speed (10) - 1.57 vs 1.54
    Vert - 39.0" vs 43.5"
    Broad - 10'9" vs 11'8"
    Short - 4.00 vs 4.07
    Cone - none vs 6.77

Jackson was a little bigger than Boykin is, but Boykin is a bit faster/more explosive. For size, Jackson was a tiny bit more athletic.

The result for Jackson: 1000 yard season by year four, six 1000 yard seasons in seven years, 3 pro bowls, 9080 career receiving yards and 57 TD. "Hall of Very Good" player. His only problem was a low catch rate (52.2%) but he had 9.7 yards per target while playing in San Diego.
    Last edited by WNCRavensFan; 06-28-2020 at 01:04 PM.

Thanks for putting this together and the responses. Very informative.

To my amateur eye, Boykin seemed to possess the abilities, but lacked in execution, maybe due to being a rookie and having to think a bit too much. That can factor in some of those plays where he gets good separation or position initially but then slows down out of a break or doesn't come back aggressively enough. Might just be thinking too much on the first part and stumbling a bit on the second if that makes sense. Hopefully he makes that progression in year 2. Hopefully there is year 2.

JZC, I heard you on the Filmstudy podcast talking about this. Great stuff!!!

Blog Entries

I think that they will load up Boykin's plate, because they won't have a choice. As for Boykin himself, I think that if he makes a considerable jump, it will be in year three. That's just my opinion.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    JZC, I heard you on the Filmstudy podcast talking about this. Great stuff!!!
    Thanks! It was super fun to do.

Ken is great. I felt stiff and awkward to start. Maybe first five mins? But Ken made it very conversational and kind of helped me along. After a bit I was able to relax into it and go along. His "professionalism" or whatever really made it go.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Hell, just being able to talk football with Ken is a treat by itself. I learned more than I "gave". For example, his remarks about the two methods an offensive squad can use to tire out a defense, were gold.