Page 16 of 240 FirstFirst ... 1415161718 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: A closer look at Miles Boykin

Greg dialed some plays specifically for Miles last week.

Started the game off w/ a target for Miles on a choice route and Miles was chosen pre-snap over Hollywood.
    -that's not nothing-

In the second half, Miles was targetted back to back plays to start the series.
    -that's not nothing either, speaks to a gameplan emphasis-

3rd Q-14:25

2nd&8-Miles Flanker (R)

2nd reaction play- Lamar scrambles (R) and finds Miles as he settles into a spot in the zone and shows open for Lamar

3rd Q-13:40

1st&10-Miles X (R)

Quick hitch vs Off coverage
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    Looks like Miles has better leverage for a lofted ball overhead then Hollywood does

Oz, you are the man.
    I'm about to get all-22 today....but still undecided on whether/which screen capture device to get
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Blog Entries

Boykin is going to have a big game at some point. Few things I've noticed just off the stat sheet: he's only had 1 target on 3rd down, he's tied with Snead for most YAC (35 yards), he's only had 1 target over 10 yards.

I think he's setup nicely for some deep shots.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Looks like Miles has better leverage for a lofted ball overhead then Hollywood does

Oz, you are the man.
    OC is the man.

I agree that it looks like Boykin has a better chnace on this play than Marquise does. More space at the back left corner of the end zone, for Boykin to run to and meet the ball, than Marquise has.

Is that Proche down at the bottom of the screen, along the left sideline? Stops at about the 15? Dude is WIDE open when the corner drops deep to stay with Boykin.

5. Re: A closer look at Miles Boykin

Oz, you are the man.
    I'm about to get all-22 today....but still undecided on whether/which screen capture device to get
    Thanks ed. I just use OBS (https://obsproject.com/), but I know Cole and others use some app that lets them highlight.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    OC is the man.

I agree that it looks like Boykin has a better chnace on this play than Marquise does. More space at the back left corner of the end zone, for Boykin to run to and meet the ball, than Marquise has.

Is that Proche down at the bottom of the screen, along the left sideline? Stops at about the 15? Dude is WIDE open when the corner drops deep to stay with Boykin.
    It's Ingram. This was a snap from 21 personnel with Ingram and Dobbins as L1 and R1 respectively. Proche didn't take a snap on offense on Sunday.
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Documented for posterity last night at 10:01p:

...I spose I'm not sure either. Like a lot of fans, my status this morning is "mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore!" I don't have any measured, well-considered takes yet.
    I wanted to revisit this when emotions were less raw.

The irony of that play and the important aspect that people miss is that Miles was (again) actually open.
    Prior to Snead running his route too shallow and bumping into Miles.
    Miles won on the slant like he had the week prior.
    And IF Greg/Lamar had made Miles the primary read on the progression that probably get first down there....but the way that game was going he would have immediately fumbled when Snead would have crashed into him.

Look at that release btw....at this point Miles might be better off the lines vs press then Hollywood
    Last edited by edromeo; 10-02-2020 at 08:11 PM.

I wanted to revisit this when emotions were less raw.

The irony of that play and the important aspect that people miss is that Miles was (again) actually open.
    Prior to Snead running his route too shallow and bumping into Miles.
    Miles won on the slant like he had the week prior.
    And IF Greg/Lamar had made Miles the primary read on the progression that probably get first down there....but the way that game was going he would have immediately fumbled when Snead would have crashed into him.

Look at that release btw....at this point Miles might be better off the lines vs press then Hollywood
    Last year I always wanted to see Hurst get more targets.

This year I want to see Boykin get more targets.

The problem is we want to be a running team AND throw 35 passes a game.

I kind of believe that when we get the lead we need to give Lamar some passing practice in which he builds chemistry with his targets.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RevBarnes View Post
    Last year I always wanted to see Hurst get more targets.

This year I want to see Boykin get more targets.

The problem is we want to be a running team AND throw 35 passes a game.

I kind of believe that when we get the lead we need to give Lamar some passing practice in which he builds chemistry with his targets.
    I remember during the inane conversations about Lamar during his rookie season one of the arguments was based around the notion that because Lamar didn't throw often his passing rating numbers were inflated and that more attempts would bring the his rating down. At the time I was saying the assumption that increase in throw attempts didn't automatically equate to a decrease in rating. I say all that to say this: low volume passing offenses are more difficult on the QB then most realize. The lower number of attempts per game decrease the margin for error and of course decrease opportunities for big plays. The corny as 'let Russ Cook' mantra is imho in part due to the constraints of a low volume passing offense places on the QB.

Every throw takes on a higher level of importance in low volume passing offenses.
    So its even more important to make the most of them.

I think the offense needs to get Miles more targets give Miles the opportunity to develop or not.
    Thankfully Miles seems like smart kid....but i can see how running playing a ton snaps, blocking his tail off, running a ton of routes from the X position but receiving very few targets and then usually only receiving difficult targets could be frustrating.

From the taking time to take a closer look at Miles routes, and maybe i'm biased but he seems to get open fairly consistently.
    But then again, getting open wasn't a question for Miles in my mind. The question for me was how does he finish the catch process? Is he gonna be physical and attack or tentative? And the only way to find out is to give the kid some targets.

Having another receiver that the coaching staff/Lamar trust and gameplan for is gonna be critical to the development of the offense going forward. They seemed to make strides in the direction in the Texans game but regressed or didn't truzz enough during the what seemed like the panicked playcalling of the Chiefs game.