Page 44 of 240 FirstFirst ... 4243444546 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: A closer look at Miles Boykin

Jeff Z

Harbaugh on miscommunication instances between Jackson and Miles Boykin. Harbaugh said it was addressed in today's meetings: "That's got to be fixed. It will be. It's Miles' responsibility to get it right. Lamar is calling the play."

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Jeff Z

Harbaugh on miscommunication instances between Jackson and Miles Boykin. Harbaugh said it was addressed in today's meetings: "That's got to be fixed. It will be. It's Miles' responsibility to get it right. Lamar is calling the play."
    Smfh

3. Re: A closer look at Miles Boykin

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Jeff Z

Not like we needed Robert Stack to figure out that Unsolved Mystery...

Miles and Ferguson IMHO were the top 2 players who were badly impacted by the lack of an offseason with coaches (not counting the rookies of course).

Boykin needs a lot of work on the finer points of WR play. There's nothing he really consistently does well at the moment despite his size/speed/agility testing saying he's an elite level athlete. He's not showing much speed out there, not a good route runner, not physical and hasn't had many opportunities on contested catches. Right now he's looking to me like a guy who is a very good athlete, but not a good football player.

He's still young so I'm not saying he stinks or whatever, but he's clearly a guy who has a lot to learn about how to translate his athleticism to football. Hope he can get there, it would be a huge boost for us.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

"Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

6. Re: A closer look at Miles Boykin

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Miles and Ferguson IMHO were the top 2 players who were badly impacted by the lack of an offseason with coaches (not counting the rookies of course).

Boykin needs a lot of work on the finer points of WR play. There's nothing he really consistently does well at the moment despite his size/speed/agility testing saying he's an elite level athlete. He's not showing much speed out there, not a good route runner, not physical and hasn't had many opportunities on contested catches. Right now he's looking to me like a guy who is a very good athlete, but not a good football player.

He's still young so I'm not saying he stinks or whatever, but he's clearly a guy who has a lot to learn about how to translate his athleticism to football. Hope he can get there, it would be a huge boost for us.
    To Jaylon Ferguson's credit, once again he seems to be improving week after week.

I really liked his effort - and the pressure he managed to generate - in this latest contest against the Eagles. I'm not thrilled about the whiffed sack on Wentz that resulted in a long TD, but he had himself a decent game.

Blog Entries

I think the film in this thread shows that Miles is a good receiver that shows the ability to get open vs press, gain separation in his route and make catches on slants, outs, comebacks, hitches and on drags routes where's he's also shown the ability to adjust to awkward placed targets.
    He has shown the ability to get open deep on vertical routes despite not being targeted on those routes.
    You can see examples of everything i've said above in this thread.
    He is good after the catch more a/YAC then Hollywood or Andrews.
    He's tied for the 2nd best in terms of drop rate on the team.

However; Lamar and Boykin do not have chemistry together.

And Lamar and Boykin haven't been on the same page; specifically on a pass in each of the past couple of games.
    Where Lamar has twice thrown a pass to different route then Boykin ran.
    Those plays are 100% on Boykin and those plays need to be corrected.

But not having chemistry is quite a different thing then not being able to get open or being a poor route runner.
    Not having chemistry means they are just a little bit off.
    It means the receiver can run the correct route but the timing or ball placement is in an unexpected place that causes an incompletion.
    Like when Lamar said as much after the Washington game.
    Not having chemistry with the QB means even when the receiver does the work and gets open the QB still might not look to throw them the ball.

Hopefully this is something they can fix in the bye week.
    It would disappointing to give up on Boykin due to lack of chemistry.
    And I don't think they will.
    Last edited by edromeo; 10-19-2020 at 06:16 PM.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Boykin just doesn’t have that high of a ceiling. You can see it when you watch him. He could be an average to above average WR with enough reps. But given his size and speed, you’d expect more out of him.

He seems to only have one gear out there. He also seems far less physical compared to how much bigger he is than every CB in the league.

You’d think with his size that he’d jump off the field at some point like Claypool already has for the Steelers. But he just doesn’t seem to have those high level qualities.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens4Real View Post
    Boykin just doesn’t have that high of a ceiling. You can see it when you watch him. He could be an average to above average WR with enough reps. But given his size and speed, you’d expect more out of him.

He seems to only have one gear out there. He also seems far less physical compared to how much bigger he is than every CB in the league.

You’d think with his size that he’d jump off the field at some point like Claypool already has for the Steelers. But he just doesn’t seem to have those high level qualities.
    When has Miles had those types of opportunities though? Honest question.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    When has Miles had those types of opportunities though? Honest question.
    The types Claypool has? Claypool the first couple weeks saw 1 to 2 targets a game and has made the plays that shows he’s a next level talent. Boykin still can’t go a game without messing up simple route concepts.

Whether mentally or physically, he just doesn’t seem to have what it takes to take his game to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens4Real View Post
    The types Claypool has? Claypool the first couple weeks saw 1 to 2 targets a game and has made the plays that shows he’s a next level talent. Boykin still can’t go a game without messing up simple route concepts.

Whether mentally or physically, he just doesn’t seem to have what it takes to take his game to the next level.
    Exactly. Claypool gave the Steelers no choice but to force feed him. Same with DK. What has Miles done to make Lamar want to force him the rock? Like I said, I’ve NEVER seen Miles make a big play that 99% of other NFL receivers can’t make.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    Exactly. Claypool gave the Steelers no choice but to force feed him. Same with DK. What has Miles done to make Lamar want to force him the rock? Like I said, I’ve NEVER seen Miles make a big play that 99% of other NFL receivers can’t make.
    I agree. Is it Lamar’s fault he doesn’t look to him when he has it in the back up of his mind that Boykin still doesn’t understand the playbook and is possibly running the wrong route?

Is it the coaches fault that we don’t have more plays designed for him when he has done nothing spectacular and we have other stuff working better? And putting his lack of understanding the playbook here also.

It’s no ones fault but his own. He needs to start stepping up mentally and physically if he wants to show he is next level. Make the coaches scheme more plays for you. Make Lamar trust you more by producing when your name is called.