Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens Offense 2020: Targets and Passing Game

As for the Boykin discussion a few thoughts:
    - Our 'X' role isn't traditional from what I've seen. Roberts was in that role last year and hew as primarily a slot receiver in Oakland. We don't ask the same things of our X, but we could very well start to (as part of Lamar adding that outside breaking route aspect to the offense).
    - Boykin has to be the favourite for the starting role. it'll be Boykin, Brown and Snead to start.
    - Boykin needs to play with more physicality at the top of his routes, but I think he can do it.
    - I think watching the film from last year will allow Roman to adjust the reads within the offense. Once he sees those clips of Boykin breaking open it'll change things IMO.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    One thing that might work in Duvernay's favour is that we're able to run more crossing routes from the slot rather than routes that demand cuts (in, out, etc.).

We;re able to do that becuase we see so much zone.

Big thing for Duv is going to be understanding defenses and working into those pockets. That's one thing that Snead has done well in his career. The big thing is that Duv has a much better athletic profile than Snead does.

Spider Chart
    https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/devin-duvernay
    https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/willie-snead

RAS
    https://relativeathleticscores.com/2...-duvernay-ras/
    https://relativeathleticscores.com/2...lie-snead-ras/
    I'm a huge fan of DuVernay.
    I hope soaks up everything he can about playing the slot from Snead because his explosive deep threat element fits right in if the passing game attacks more this season.

I also think DuVernay can play on the outside in this offense. Looking at Miles inventory of routes there are a lot of vertical 1-on-1 opportunities and 'gimme' routes that are basically conceded vs Cover 3 off coverage where DuVernay could win.

Duvernay had more 'go get it' on his college film then Miles and he has the confidence and polish that comes from being the focal point of high volume pass offense. He caught 100 more passes then Miles in college.

Its going to be interesting where they plug him in Slot, Z or X or all of the above?
    Not having a regular offseason with preseason games is going hurt guys like DuVernay.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    As for the Boykin discussion a few thoughts:
    - Our 'X' role isn't traditional from what I've seen. Roberts was in that role last year and hew as primarily a slot receiver in Oakland. We don't ask the same things of our X, but we could very well start to (as part of Lamar adding that outside breaking route aspect to the offense).
    - Boykin has to be the favourite for the starting role. it'll be Boykin, Brown and Snead to start.
    - Boykin needs to play with more physicality at the top of his routes, but I think he can do it.
    - I think watching the film from last year will allow Roman to adjust the reads within the offense. Once he sees those clips of Boykin breaking open it'll change things IMO.
    Like most players Boykin will have to become a better player then he was in college to make it in the NFL.

There were routes where Boykin won and wasn't targeted.
    There were routes where Boykin had mistakes- sometime route running decision when to run when to sit, other times it was a matter of being explosive/crisp breaks in-out and out of breaks, sometimes for lack of a better word he was too 'soft' at the catch point.

Boykin has the skillset can he make the most of his opportunity and take it?
    I think yes.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post

How about a friendly wager on who gets more targets Boykin or DuVernay?
    I'll take that bet if we go with my original statement that either one of the rookie draft picks emerges to get more targets than Boykin.

As for the stakes, how about the loser has to post 100 times over the next 6 months about how Tucker wasn't to blame for the play off loss to Tennessee? (I'm assuming that guy must have lost a bet.)

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    ...if we go with my original statement that either one of the rookie draft picks emerges to get more targets than Boykin.
    If everyone stays healthy
    (always a huge if, and way more so this year than usual)
    then Duvernay & Proche aren't going to combine for more targets than Boykin this season.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    If everyone stays healthy
    (always a huge if, and way more so this year than usual)
    then Duvernay & Proche aren't going to combine for more targets than Boykin this season.
    I've no idea who'll get targeted. I just made some guesses for fun and now I seem to be locked in as the anti-Boykin guy so I'm just going with it.

Blog Entries

I'll take that bet if we go with my original statement that either one of the rookie draft picks emerges to get more targets than Boykin.

As for the stakes,
    Cool. 👍🏽
    Boykins vs either one of the rookies WRs for targets.

Stakes? *shrugs* temporary sig chosen by the winner?

Cool. ����
    Boykins vs either one of the rookies WRs for targets.

Stakes? *shrugs* temporary sig chosen by the winner?
    Sounds good.

As for the stakes, how about the loser has to post 100 times over the next 6 months about how Tucker wasn't to blame for the play off loss to Tennessee? (I'm assuming that guy must have lost a bet.)
    Post of the day

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-ran...020-nfl-season

PFF Rankings: The NFL’s top 15 tight ends ahead of the 2020 NFL season

Quote Originally Posted by PFF
    5. MARK ANDREWS, BALTIMORE RAVENS

Efficiency isn’t all that matters. The ability to draw targets is a skill in itself, and no tight end drew targets on a higher percentage of their routes (32%) than Andrews this past season. Part of that had to do with the fact that Baltimore lacked pass-catching weapons, but a lot of credit should go to Andrews for his ability to create open throws for Lamar Jackson and take advantage of the passes that came his way. His 2.89 receiving yards per route run ranked behind only George Kittle on the year, and he was dominant out of the slot. Andrews’ 47 receptions, 698 yards and five receiving touchdowns out of the slot led all tight ends in 2019.

He’s a big target who routinely plucks balls out of the air in the middle of the field. With his 24th birthday coming in September, he’s part of a young offensive core with a bright future in Baltimore.

Blog Entries

he’s part of a young offensive core with a bright future in Baltimore.
    Seeing stuff like this is still wild to me after 17 years in the fandom, and all the offensive issues we've seen over those years.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

(2) (If different) How do you think/expect them to dole out targets?
    Podcast from Matt Waldman with Dwain McFarland of PFF, on exactly this topic:

Target predictions for each player, with yardage & TD projections.