Thread: Lead by Example

Blog Entries

Lead by Example

Due to the current situation with the Coronavirus, I do not agree with protesting at this time, because of the spread that it can cause. That said, I understand why the protests are taking place. These are not issues that just started happening. These are issues that have been happening for decades, that are now being caught on video more often.

As a former LEO, I have a different respect for the work that an officer must do, as well as the mental strain an officer must endure. We live in a society where LEOs are needed.

So while there are certainly some who need to be removed, a lot of Police forces are undermanned already. Once you get rid of those who truly need to go, that will create even more of a need for qualified Officers.

Which is why I feel that this is an opportunity for those protesting, who are capable, to lead by example and put the uniform on. Show the nation how it should be done by leading by example. Reform will not come out of thin air. Nor will qualified Officers. Some have to be willing to sign up and usher in the changes we’d like to see. Protesting is one step, but there are many more after that if someone wants to truly see change through.

Yes, there are issues with Law Enforcement, but if you’re young and capable, don’t just complain about the bad apples in Law Enforcement. Become one of the good ones.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Re: Lead by Example

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Yes, there are issues with Law Enforcement, but if you’re young and capable, don’t just complain about the bad apples in Law Enforcement. Become one of the good ones.
    This is a good point and one I was going to bring up in one of these police brutality threads but as a white guy thought it seemed a very patronizing thing to suggest.

I remember a black police chief in a city involved in protests/unrest a few year ago making a similar statement at a press conference, asking young black men to become police if they were not happy and wanted to change things. I think he can make that statement.

Ideally, you shouldn't have to feel like you have to become police just to feel safe.

What you are saying here makes the whole defund police thing seem like a bad idea (not saying you are for that Ex). You want to make it an appealing job so you get the best candidates and you want to make sure your guys are well trained and well equipped. Cutting funding won't do that and is counter to that.

I don't how it is now but like any profession I would hope police are required to earn and maintain professional certifications and training. I see the Federal government leading here. Again, I don't know how much of this exists. But Federally mandated certification and training seems like something that we need more of. I'd gladly pay more taxes if I thought it would go towards making these incidents a thing of the past.

I also think it's really hard to fire police too which makes it harder to wean out bad ones. They have very powerful unions. I read an article yesterday that quoted a black police chief and he was saying they need more tools to help them get rid of bad officers. Sounds like another good idea. Public sector unions are very powerful things. We see it with teacher unions too. Any profession where it is hard to fire people will end up accumulating a defective workforce. With both teachers and police the effects of this are tragic.
    Last edited by BustOfPallas; 06-05-2020 at 09:53 AM.

Due to the current situation with the Coronavirus, I do not agree with protesting at this time, because of the spread that it can cause. That said, I understand why the protests are taking place. These are not issues that just started happening. These are issues that have been happening for decades, that are now being caught on video more often.

As a former LEO, I have a different respect for the work that an officer must do, as well as the mental strain an officer must endure. We live in a society where LEOs are needed.

So while there are certainly some who need to be removed, a lot of Police forces are undermanned already. Once you get rid of those who truly need to go, that will create even more of a need for qualified Officers.

Which is why I feel that this is an opportunity for those protesting, who are capable, to lead by example and put the uniform on. Show the nation how it should be done by leading by example. Reform will not come out of thin air. Nor will qualified Officers. Some have to be willing to sign up and usher in the changes we’d like to see. Protesting is one step, but there are many more after that if someone wants to truly see change through.

It would be good if that happened, but let's be honest, it won't. Not on any kind of large scale. Police in this country are being cut off at the knees. The vast majority of protestors are doing the very same thing that they're protesting against, judging all by the actions of some. People are proposing to disband/defund departments, require an officer to issue a warning prior to firing their weapon, or to try and shoot for extremities. All of which are equally unrealistic and idiotic.

More training (proper defensive tactics, diversity training, de-escalation tactics, community relations, etc.) is good. Diversity within the ranks is good. Most of the ideas above are not. Oh, and it's a two way street. Lack of physically resisting arrest, or outright assaulting officers would help. If the arrest is a bad one, you have your day in court. It's never 100% one sides' fault in a conflict. To your point, you have to build the bridge from both sides.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Well said

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    It would be good if that happened, but let's be honest, it won't. Not on any kind of large scale. Police in this country are being cut off at the knees. The vast majority of protestors are doing the very same thing that they're protesting against, judging all by the actions of some. People are proposing to disband/defund departments, require an officer to issue a warning prior to firing their weapon, or to try and shoot for extremities. All of which are equally unrealistic and idiotic.

More training (proper defensive tactics, diversity training, de-escalation tactics, community relations, etc.) is good. Diversity within the ranks is good. Most of the ideas above are not. Oh, and it's a two way street. Lack of physically resisting arrest, or outright assaulting officers would help. If the arrest is a bad one, you have your day in court. It's never 100% one sides' fault in a conflict. To your point, you have to build the bridge from both sides.
    I don't think it's necessarily that they are judging all. The problem is that the 3 officers sat and did nothing while Chauvin killed a man. It's that the whole police precinct let Chauvin continue to police after 17 complaints. It's that a whole police precinct tried to cover up the murder of Ahmad Arbury for a whole month. So even if you want to say there are only 1 or 2 bad apples, there are many LEO's who are allowing them to continue with their vile, racist acts.

Blog Entries

Great post. Protesting isn't enough. Go to school. Get a law degree. Become a DA. Or a judge. Make a difference. Realize the opportunity that is afoot is there to affect real change, not to chase a dollar.