Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Who will be this Preseason's Surprise Trade?

Last preseason saw the Ravens make 3 trades that all came as a bit of a surprise.
    Aug 8 - Traded Alex Lewis for what became a 7th round pick.
    (Early on he was the favorite to start at LG)
    Aug 11 - Traded Kaare Vedvik for a 5th Round pick.
    (He was obviously never going to make the team. This is hailed by all as a genius move by EDC.)
    Aug 28 - Traded Jermaine Eluemunor and a 6th rounder for a 4th round pick.
    (He was starting at LG after the Lewis trade in all Preseason games.)

Eluemunor may have come as the biggest surprise at the time as we had very little depth at guard and no one was predicting Bozeman's ascent.

So who is this preseason's surprise trade?

There are some that may not be a big surprise. So I'll mention them first:
    Gus Edwards - He is valuable but is he now superfluous? There will be temptation to whittle down to 3 RBs and Gus has both value and redundancy. I think he is trade bait, since you never trade rookie high draft picks, Hill has no trade value, and Ingram is a locker room leader. They wouldn't trade Ingram would they???? TOO BOLD!
    RGIII - He is a great help to Lamar and would probably not fetch more than a 6th round pick. But if McSorley and/or Huntley display good accuracy to go along with superior athleticism, the Ravens could go young in the QB room.

Players who could be surprise trades:
    Willie Sneed - He is currently one of only 3 players Lamar feels comfortable throwing to on 3rd down. But does the emergence of Duvernay in the slot make Sneed an accessory not worth the contract. We can trade him and save $3.7mill off the cap. Would GB bite?
    Matt Skura - With Skura making a gradual but solid recovery from a serious knee surgery, does that open the door for more competition at the 3 interior OL spots? Absolutely. Could he come back and play by the 2nd or 3rd preseason game to prove he is healthy and tradable? I say yes. A starting center (on the last year of a cheap deal) could fetch a 4th round pick. Injuries or ineffectiveness could boost demand. (Just like Vedvik last year) The other option is to stash him on the PUP list (if he can't play in the preseason) or IR (if he does return) for depth and bring him back mid year if and when he is needed.

Who am I missing? Is there another Raven who could find himself traded before week 1?

2. Re: Who will be this Preseason's Surprise Trade?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Stovall View Post
    There are some that may not be a big surprise. So I'll mention them first:
    Gus Edwards - He is valuable but is he now superfluous? There will be temptation to whittle down to 3 RBs and Gus has both value and redundancy. I think he is trade bait, since you never trade rookie high draft picks, Hill has no trade value, and Ingram is a locker room leader. They wouldn't trade Ingram would they???? TOO BOLD!
    RGIII - He is a great help to Lamar and would probably not fetch more than a 6th round pick. But if McSorley and/or Huntley display good accuracy to go along with superior athleticism, the Ravens could go young in the QB room.

Players who could be surprise trades:
    Willie Sneed - He is currently one of only 3 players Lamar feels comfortable throwing to on 3rd down. But does the emergence of Duvernay in the slot make Sneed an accessory not worth the contract. We can trade him and save $3.7mill off the cap. Would GB bite?
    Matt Skura - With Skura making a gradual but solid recovery from a serious knee surgery, does that open the door for more competition at the 3 interior OL spots? Absolutely. Could he come back and play by the 2nd or 3rd preseason game to prove he is healthy and tradable? I say yes. A starting center (on the last year of a cheap deal) could fetch a 4th round pick. Injuries or ineffectiveness could boost demand. (Just like Vedvik last year) The other option is to stash him on the PUP list (if he can't play in the preseason) or IR (if he does return) for depth and bring him back mid year if and when he is needed.

Who am I missing? Is there another Raven who could find himself traded before week 1?
    IMO, Snead's major value comes from his blocking, not some imagined D3 rapport with Lamar. He was hardly targeted on D3 last year: 9 regular season targets, fewer than Andrews (36), Brown (16), and even Roberts (10). Meanwhile (and I don't have numbers on this unfortunately), he was often used as a motion man from the slot on run plays, similar to Boyle/Ricard. The Ravens often treat him like another TE. I don't see another WR on the roster that can replace him there.

I'll be surprised if Skura is able to return to his prior level of success by the preseason. He would still only be 10 months removed from a major, major knee injury.

There's been a good discussion on Gus (and the other RBs) in this thread: https://forum.russellstreetreport.co...d-Running-Game . I'll say that RBs get hurt pretty often (I think DeCosta recently said something like the Ravens' starting RB has been injured 15 of the last 17 years or something). If they trade Gus, the Ravens are one random calf strain away from entering an important mid-season game with Justice Hill and a rookie as the starting RBs. It's also been noted (I think by Jeff Zrebiec) that there are a ton of established RBs still available in FA. Why trade for something when you can get an equivalent item for free?

The only way I see them trading RG3 is if the offer is good and it gives him an opportunity to be the starter. Again, very good insurance policy, plus it seems like he's been an incredible mentor for Lamar. McSorley and random dude whose name I won't bother learning until later aren't the answer at backup QB.

(Might I also suggest you adjust your method for highlighting text? The red text on white background is incredibly hard to read.)
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Re: Who will be this Preseason's Surprise Trade?

Thank you for your suggestion. I would also love to hear your answer to the question.
    Great insights about Sneed. Again he would be a surprise trade. But that is the point of the thread. Who would be a surprise, but why might they do it? I think they can replace both his production and his blocking. He's not a long-term piece.
    Skura, as I said, is likely to be a PUP or IR candidate, due to the severity of the knee injury. But if he plays in the preseason, it could be to make him tradable. I don't think the Ravens see Skura as the long-term answer at center, but I could be way off. I think they want a bigger, more Bozeman-like guy at center.

If these 2 guys have zero chance of being traded, then who might that person(s) be?

I think you look at some of the areas of extra depth, and the players that, have market value.

At DB, Jimmy Smith might the number 4 guy with the return of Tavon Young, but i don't know that it would be a surprise. He's so a starter in this league and has more value on a different depth chart.

At ILB, adding 2 presumptive starters makes Fort or Bynes expendable. People love our former linebackers, Fort probably would get good value after a breakout year with us. He also under contract for a few years.

FB, Ricard could get great value after his breakout year for his versatility and talent. If we like that UDFA as FB and special teams, i bet we could get great value for Ricard. He's also further buried on DL due to Campbell and Wolf additions.

You said Snead. He was less important last season than he was in Lamars rookie campaign so I could see us using the draft picks since they'll really be the 4th option on most passing plays. Ravens have a crowded wide receiver room. Never thought I'd say that.

Jameel Scott, same reasons as above but not sure if he has perceived value around the league.

ET, due to off field, emergence of Clark and Jimmy could slide over. They'll be experimenting with that in the preseason. If they like it, I can see them moving on.

None of these would be surprises though.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

If you expect the receivers to be Brown, Boykin, Snead, C. Moore, Proche, and Duvernay - Snead is the only true veteran that group has...I guess Chris Moore could be considered that too but he's really a special teams guy. Not sure they would want to trade Snead.

I don't see them trading any of the backs. They are a running focused team that can easily use all 4 and the roster is expanding.

If you want something like the Lewis or Eluemanor trades, I'd look at DB, maybe someone like Averett or Elliott...along the DL, Daylon Mack, maybe. These are expendable players are positions they are loaded at who are still young and another team may find some value in.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    If you expect the receivers to be Brown, Boykin, Snead, C. Moore, Proche, and Duvernay - Snead is the only true veteran that group has...I guess Chris Moore could be considered that too but he's really a special teams guy. Not sure they would want to trade Snead.

I don't see them trading any of the backs. They are a running focused team that can easily use all 4 and the roster is expanding.

If you want something like the Lewis or Eluemanor trades, I'd look at DB, maybe someone like Averett or Elliott...along the DL, Daylon Mack, maybe. These are expendable players are positions they are loaded at. Everyone says Geno Stone is a steal at S and we drafted 2 more DTs this year. And of course, we know how stacked they are at CB.
    I don't think anybody would be willing to pay for the running backs. There's too much cheap talent at that position.

Elliot or Averett would make sense, especially if people are right about Stone. Also why ET could be a trade.

Not Sure if Mack did enough to make him have trade value but I see where you're coming from.

I'll go with Boykin.

(Just fucking with you, Jim).

If I had to go with one guess I'll go with Matt Judon.

Impossible to trade Josh Bynes as we would have to first acquire him from the Bengals.

What about DJ Fluker? Could he be inserted into the starting lineup in the preseason, like Eluemunor last year, in order to increase trade value, if we like what we see in practice from Powers, Makari, Bozeman, Skura and the rookies? We have way more depth this preseason than last year. Last year we traded away 2 lineman and didn't blink.

Quote Originally Posted by guymf4 View Post
    At ILB, adding 2 presumptive starters makes Fort or Bynes expendable. People love our former linebackers, Fort probably would get good value after a breakout year with us. He also under contract for a few years.
    Bynes signed with the Bengals a couple months ago.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

To me, Justice Hill is the most obvious, along with Judon.
    ET is here for this year, the money doesn’t work, at all. Snead is a guy that hasn’t played a single down of his extension, he’s our.
    If Jimmy Smith has trade value we likely couldn’t have gotten him so cheap in FA.
    Humphrey or Stanley would being a HUGE return, but... nah

Bozeman, Mekari, Bowser, Averett and Elliot are the most likely, IMO. All have shown something at the NFL level and could be superfluous. Young, cheap, on rookie deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Bynes signed with the Bengals a couple months ago.
    Well, I was right about him being expendable!

Blog Entries

I think they have very specific things they are expecting from Tyus Bowser this year. If they don't see that in camp I would not be surprised if he's gone around final cuts. Bowser will have some trade value and another team will offer a late round pick to get out of him what the Ravens could not