Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Re: The Future of Ronnie Stanley in Baltimore

Barring injury, he will be performing as the clear-cut best left tackle for 4-5 more years, followed by several more years in the top 5-8. ** AT LEAST.** He IS starting on a potential HOF arc. I have not been this confident and high on a player in years! It would be insane to not resign him.
    I am so confident that we will.

Blog Entries

Re: The Future of Ronnie Stanley in Baltimore

My take is that Stanley is a "must sign." While I wanted the Ravens to resign CJ Mosley, the Jets made him an unreal offer that DeCosta would not match, and I don't blame him. Not that I want to demean ILB, but LT is so much more important. This is especially related to LJ8's growth and success. Obviously you don't want to give away the farm, but LTs nowadays are being paid handsomely and with Stanley's performance thus far, he has richly deserved an extension... Bc
    Last edited by BcRaven; 06-05-2020 at 11:11 AM.

Why wouldn't you pay someone who is the BEST AT THEIR ENTIRE POSITION in the NFL? You're not going to draft someone in the late 20s or after (where I have a feeling the Ravens will frequently picking for the next 3-5 years) who is better than Stanley.

There is a significant gap between what Stanley wants (to top Tunsil's deal) and what the Ravens can force him to take via the tag. The Ravens have a lot of leverage here. Theoretically can force Stanley to play on 3 straight 1 year contracts at below [post-Tunsil] market value.

I tend to agree with the poster above who suggested Stanley won't sign long term deal here; at least for a while. For me it's not a question of him not being worth the cost, more so it's a question of whether EDC is in the business of caving to agents who try to use another team's bad personnel decision against him in negotiations. I find it hard to believe he's just going to roll over when he's got so much leverage.

So, my completely uninformed guess about how this plays out is impasse through 2020 & 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by LC_Ravens_87 View Post
    There is a significant gap between what Stanley wants (to top Tunsil's deal) and what the Ravens can force him to take via the tag. The Ravens have a lot of leverage here. Theoretically can force Stanley to play on 3 straight 1 year contracts at below [post-Tunsil] market value.

I tend to agree with the poster above who suggested Stanley won't sign long term deal here; at least for a while. For me it's not a question of him not being worth the cost, more so it's a question of whether EDC is in the business of caving to agents who try to use another team's bad personnel decision against him in negotiations. I find it hard to believe he's just going to roll over when he's got so much leverage.

So, my completely uninformed guess about how this plays out is impasse through 2020 & 2021.
    This does seem like a pretty unique situation with how large the gap is from the tag vs signing long term. Are there any players recently who dealt with a similar situation? I would curious to see how it was handled. From a business perspective, it makes sense to tag him as long as possible. Of course, you potentially risk pissing off your star player, and worst case, a Laveon Bell situation. Not that I think Stanley would ever go that route. He seems more likely he would keep quiet and play, even if he's not entirely happy with getting tagged. I would be surprised if he doesn't get tagged at least once before being signed long term.

Blog Entries

The Yanda retirement is an excellent point. You do not want to have to figure out LT, whole already having to figure out RG, when your coaching staff is already squeezing juice from a lemon at LG and C.

Quote Originally Posted by 00000 View Post
    Can you please post a notable examples? The only ones I can think of are CJ Mosley - very good not elite/injury prone/regressed in coverage ever year in a passing league. I cant remember the feelings around Flacco AFTER the SB - but that second extension WAS NOT deserved lol before that I have very little recall of contracts because we seemed to pay all our stars
    Going back to the Sunpapers Forum days there was a lot of traffic about letting Ray Lewis walk -

The board rarely wants to see anyone paid as being at the top of their position. Stanley is just the most recent in a long, long line of players.

Blog Entries

Fans treat the cap as if it’s their own and then they treat it as if it hasn’t gone up in twenty years.

Home many good LT leave. I mean I don't think he's the best in the league, but he's definitely good and will likely command a huge price. I don't see the Ravens letting a LT walk

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    I mean I don't think he's the best in the league,
    I think he is. I can't think of anyone who's better at the moment. Trent hasn't played in years. Tyron isn't what he was. Who else?

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    Home many good LT leave. I mean I don't think he's the best in the league, but he's definitely good and will likely command a huge price. I don't see the Ravens letting a LT walk
    He may not be 'the best' - but he sure as hell is in the conversation about being the best.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    I think he is. I can't think of anyone who's better at the moment. Trent hasn't played in years. Tyron isn't what he was. Who else?
    Bakhtiari probably has the strongest case.

Ronnie has the fewest true pass sets in the league last year, but was extremely effective in that limited sample size.

I wouldn’t categorically day one is better than the other. Ronnie played better last year, the guy in GB who’s name I’m sure I’m butchering has been consistently great for a handful of years in a more traditional offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk