Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Gun Sales In May Hit Record — Again

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I have friends who are Democrats and are buying firearms.
    Me too.

I have 2 liberal friends in particular (who don't know each other) who keep asking me questions via text, but...I'm not well versed in firearms, TBH. I usually defer to my other friends who are.

They think I know all about them though because of my political persuasion...which I think is funny.

Regardless, 2 people who I thought NEVER would come around on the gun argument...have.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    I've gotten in the habit of listening to youtube videos every night on natural history, history, religion, occasional Joe Rogan... and I have discovered Paul Harrell. He's a gun/training expert and his videos are really interesting. He's a funny guy too. I think people here that haven't seen his stuff would like him. Good common sense stuff.

One thing I picked up from him is that in a home defense situation it's pretty rare you need more than 10 rounds.

Anyway, anyone reading this that wants to learn about firearms and firearms training he's worth watching.
    Pretty rare, maybe. But I don’t want to be in the situation when I need more and don’t have them. Taking time to reload maybe time you don’t have.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Pretty rare, maybe. But I don’t want to be in the situation when I need more and don’t have them. Taking time to reload maybe time you don’t have.
    Have you watched Paul Harrell on youtube. At first when I saw him I thought "who is this gun nut jackwad" but he's kind of infectious. Very measured, a dry sense of humor and kind of goofy. Dude knows firearms. Some might disagree with what he has to say but he knows a LOT. Whether you agree with him or not, there is useful information to be learned watching his videos.

I own one gun and several old air guns btw. I'm not a big gun guy by any means. I bought the Ruger more as a gadget guy and bucket list thing. I don't get to shoot any of my guns nearly as much I want. My wife has expressed a desire to shoot guns lately (way before the tragic stuff going on now) but when she saw one of my pellet pistols the other day she was like "WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT!?!!!!!!". I was shooting a beer can in back yard. I was like, "I've had this for years!". So it's hard to read her.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    Have you watched Paul Harrell on youtube. At first when I saw him I thought "who is this gun nut jackwad" but he's kind of infectious. Very measured, a dry sense of humor and kind of goofy. Dude knows firearms. Some might disagree with what he has to say but he knows a LOT. Whether you agree with him or not, there is useful information to be learned watching his videos.

I own one gun and several old air guns btw. I'm not a big gun guy by any means. I bought the Ruger more as a gadget guy and bucket list thing. I don't get to shoot any of my guns nearly as much I want. My wife has expressed a desire to shoot guns lately (way before the tragic stuff going on now) but when she saw one of my pellet pistols the other day she was like "WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT!?!!!!!!". I was shooting a beer can in back yard. I was like, "I've had this for years!". So it's hard to read her.
    Not heard of him actually. I follow John Lovell who owns a company called Warrior Poet Society (see my avatar) and Pat McNamara. Lovell is a retired Army Ranger and McNamara is retired Delta Force.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    To buy a handgun, you need a Handgun Qualification License (HQL). This involves filling out a form with your personal information, taking a training course (which can be waived if you are prior law enforcement, military, or have previously taken a Safe Hunters Course), and you have to get fingerprinted. Then you send that all in to MSP and wait for your license. There is a fee for both the license ($50?) and to get fingerprinted (I think I paid $75).

You can find specifics here: https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...onLicense.aspx

Also, once you get your HQL, you then have to go to a licensed FFL to select and purchase your handgun, which involves filling out more forms (I mean, WTF is the point of the license if you have to fill everything out all over again, I dunno why you can't just give them your license ID #), AND then do the 7 day waiting period. Even though you already have a license. And have been fingerprinted.

Same if you want to buy an AR15, though you don't need the license. Just the forms and 7-day waiting period. That's if you buy a full gun, OR a stripped lower receiver. If you buy a stripped lower, you can purchase the rest of your components online. Many people choose to purchase a stripped lower, then build it out with stock, grip, trigger, parts kit (springs and pins), and then either buy a complete upper (barrel, upper receiver, bolt group, etc.) from a dealer over the net, or build their own upper as well. Building an upper is more involved as you have the set your headspace between the barrel and bolt, etc.
    I didn’t have to wait for my rifle. Did the background check and in an hour I was out the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I didn’t have to wait for my rifle. Did the background check and in an hour I was out the door.

What type of rifle?

Blog Entries

What type of rifle?
    FN-15 Tactical, 5.56

Basically this - although I put a red dot scope on the top and a front rail grip.

Blog Entries

FN-15 Tactical, 5.56

Basically this - although I put a red dot scope on the top and a front rail grip.

Very nice. Building mine from Aero Precision. I do want the FN SCAR 17s though.

Blog Entries

Very nice. Building mine from Aero Precision. I do want the FN SCAR 17s though.
    Now that the ranges are opening back up near me, I'm going to try and get over there and put a few rounds through this and dial in my scope.

Also, because I finally got around to getting my HQL, I'm going to get a handgun as well. I really like the 1911's...I like that single stack pistol. I know everyone loves Glock, but honestly...I've shot a few different Glock pistols and I've never been overly fond of them.

Blog Entries

Now that the ranges are opening back up near me, I'm going to try and get over there and put a few rounds through this and dial in my scope.

Also, because I finally got around to getting my HQL, I'm going to get a handgun as well. I really like the 1911's...I like that single stack pistol. I know everyone loves Glock, but honestly...I've shot a few different Glock pistols and I've never been overly fond of them.
    Funny. I’ve got a G17 which is a great gun, goes bang every time but not the most ergonomic gun. rRecently bought a HKVP9. Went to the range to shoot them booth... shoot the Glock much better. Go figure. After this settles down and stores get inventory again I’ll probably get a G48 or G19 as my carry gun and retire the HK, but that’s what I’m using for now.

Funny. I’ve got a G17 which is a great gun, goes bang every time but not the most ergonomic gun. rRecently bought a HKVP9. Went to the range to shoot them booth... shoot the Glock much better. Go figure. After this settles down and stores get inventory again I’ll probably get a G48 or G19 as my carry gun and retire the HK, but that’s what I’m using for now.
    I have owned a G19 gen 3 &4.
    Simple 5tools that do what they are intended to as reliably as possible. The safety, is IMO, perfect.
    I have only shot a 100 rounds or so through a. 1911 at a range but in my less than huge hands found the ergonomics rather antiquated and off.
    YMMv.

I am NOT a fan of the sub-compact frame Glocks. To me, it was very unnerving have my pinky off the handle.

1911’s sure can be beautiful. Kimber, Wilson, many great choices, just not my cup of tea.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I have owned a G19 gen 3 &4.
    Simple 5tools that do what they are intended to as reliably as possible. The safety, is IMO, perfect.
    I have only shot a 100 rounds or so through a. 1911 at a range but in my less than huge hands found the ergonomics rather antiquated and off.
    YMMv.

I am NOT a fan of the sub-compact frame Glocks. To me, it was very unnerving have my pinky off the handle.

1911’s sure can be beautiful. Kimber, Wilson, many great choices, just not my cup of tea.

A lot of people don't care for the safety "squeeze" mechanism on the upper handle of the modern 1911's. I have heard of them going off when guys tried to pull them out of holsters.

I'll have to shoot some other glocks...and some other models. I just felt like a lot of the Glocks had "wide/thick" handles/grips? Maybe I'm weird. I dont know. :)

I may try out some revolvers as well.