Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Gun Sales In May Hit Record — Again

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post
    I think the gun-control argument is closed shut for a generation.
    I have friends who are Democrats and are buying firearms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    I bought a Ruger Mark IV about 10 years ago before the gun laws got stricter. I wish I had gone with something more substantial at that time like a Glock or Beretta.

I wouldn't mind having a long gun, perhaps a shotgun a Mossburg or even an AR for SHTF type emergencies like a Katrina societal breakdown event.

What is it like buying a handgun in MD these days?
    Have to get a handgun qualification license first. Then you can go purchase the handgun, but you will not be able to pick it up for 7-days after the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I have friends who are Democrats and are buying firearms.

First time buyers? Do you know what they are buying.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    My guess would be a nightmare, but I’d start the process and hope there’s more inventory when you’re ready. I’ll see if I can’t get a friend in Md to comment on what you need to do. If you get an AR probably cheaper to build one.
    AR-15 (and similar models...5.56/223) you can buy and carry out the same day. You don’t need a license for them.

Blog Entries

Gun Sales In May Hit Record — Again

I think you have to buy a license and you also have to take training. And of course background check by FBI. Used to be a waiting period, background check and fingerprints I think and then you went and picked it up and that was it. Still a lot but now there is the license which has a fee and paperwork I'm sure and then prove you had training. They are just making it harder to get one.
    Yes they are making it harder to get one, but (at the very least) it is trying to make sure Inexperienced/Unknowledgeable people just don’t go in and buy a ton of handguns.

It’s basically forcing people to get training before buying, which while annoying, I actually think probably has a net positive impact because you shouldn’t own a gun if you don’t know how to use it. That’s just extremely dangerous.

Blog Entries

First time buyers? Do you know what they are buying.
    Mostly home defense shotguns or going through the process to get a handgun.

One of them lives in Leesburg, VA and it’s a lot less complicated to buy a handgun in Virginia than it is in Maryland.

Blog Entries

Thank goodness I don’t live there! I have a concealed carry permit which means I can just walk in and buy a handgun cause I’ve already been finger printed etc for the FBI. If I didn’t, would just need a permit from the local sheriff after a background check and For an AR or shotgun just a quick background check at the store.

Man I hate Maryland, so glad I moved.
    That’s basically the process to buy rifles in Maryland. Handgun purchases and no concealed carry would be the only difference.

Once you have the handgun qualification license (HQL), the only hurdle is a 1-week grace period between buying the handgun and taking possession.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    That’s basically the process to buy rifles in Maryland. Handgun purchases and no concealed carry would be the only difference.

Once you have the handgun qualification license (HQL), the only hurdle is a 1-week grace period between buying the handgun and taking possession.

Does Maryland still have limits on magazine capacity?

Blog Entries

Yes, that they do.

I bought a Ruger Mark IV about 10 years ago before the gun laws got stricter. I wish I had gone with something more substantial at that time like a Glock or Beretta.

I wouldn't mind having a long gun, perhaps a shotgun a Mossburg or even an AR for SHTF type emergencies like a Katrina societal breakdown event.

What is it like buying a handgun in MD these days?
    To buy a handgun, you need a Handgun Qualification License (HQL). This involves filling out a form with your personal information, taking a training course (which can be waived if you are prior law enforcement, military, or have previously taken a Safe Hunters Course), and you have to get fingerprinted. Then you send that all in to MSP and wait for your license. There is a fee for both the license ($50?) and to get fingerprinted (I think I paid $75).

You can find specifics here: https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...onLicense.aspx

Also, once you get your HQL, you then have to go to a licensed FFL to select and purchase your handgun, which involves filling out more forms (I mean, WTF is the point of the license if you have to fill everything out all over again, I dunno why you can't just give them your license ID #), AND then do the 7 day waiting period. Even though you already have a license. And have been fingerprinted.

Same if you want to buy an AR15, though you don't need the license. Just the forms and 7-day waiting period. That's if you buy a full gun, OR a stripped lower receiver. If you buy a stripped lower, you can purchase the rest of your components online. Many people choose to purchase a stripped lower, then build it out with stock, grip, trigger, parts kit (springs and pins), and then either buy a complete upper (barrel, upper receiver, bolt group, etc.) from a dealer over the net, or build their own upper as well. Building an upper is more involved as you have the set your headspace between the barrel and bolt, etc.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Yes - no more than 10 rounds.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    Yes - no more than 10 rounds.
    I've gotten in the habit of listening to youtube videos every night on natural history, history, religion, occasional Joe Rogan... and I have discovered Paul Harrell. He's a gun/training expert and his videos are really interesting. He's a funny guy too. I think people here that haven't seen his stuff would like him. Good common sense stuff.

One thing I picked up from him is that in a home defense situation it's pretty rare you need more than 10 rounds.

Anyway, anyone reading this that wants to learn about firearms and firearms training he's worth watching.