Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Drew Brees attacked for saying he respects the flag

"It shows that we are all in this together, we can all do better and that we are all part of the solution.”

Yeah, I can see why that is so outrageous.

Ed Reed and Malcolm Jenkins -- I'm reminded of Mrs. Danvers from the movie Rebecca: "You're overwrought, madam. I've opened a window for you." Their abilities to reason have jumped out that window.

The American flag and the playing of the national anthem symbolize unity, not perfection. For two minutes we can take a deep breath, put our differences aside, and remind ourselves that we are ultimately on the same team. Afterwards, we can go back to hating each other.

The flag and anthem are when we call a truce. When someone fights during the truce they are justly despised because they've betrayed a trust to gain an advantage. That encourages others to think twice before agreeing to truce. That, in turn, prolongs the war.

Kap's other mistake was protesting at the game. His viewpoint is irrelevant. Every one has a viewpoint. What he had that most people don't is a huge platform. But that platform wasn't enough for him; he needed to coopt the platform of an NFL game too. Again, it's a kind of cheating. No other player is holding up a Pro-Choice sign, or a From My Cold Dead Hand sign, or a Restore Prohibition sign.

Ed Reed calling Drew Brees a sucker -- such command of the facts, such perspicacity, such logic, such perspicuity. Really, it's overwhelming, isn't it?

Drew Brees said nothing controversial. The oversized reaction shows (at best) that proportionality is overtaken by emotion. At worst, it shows that censorship and obsequiousness are the only acceptable responses.

When cooler heads prevail Reed and others ought to apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by Blovius_Maximus View Post
    "It shows that we are all in this together, we can all do better and that we are all part of the solution.”

Ed Reed and Malcolm Jenkins -- I'm reminded of Mrs. Danvers from the movie Rebecca: "You're overwrought, madam. I've opened a window for you." Their abilities to reason have jumped out that window.

The American flag and the playing of the national anthem symbolize unity, not perfection. For two minutes we can take a deep breath, put our differences aside, and remind ourselves that we are ultimately on the same team. Afterwards, we can go back to hating each other.

The flag and anthem are when we call a truce. When someone fights during the truce they are justly despised because they've betrayed a trust to gain an advantage. That encourages others to think twice before agreeing to truce. That, in turn, prolongs the war.

Kap's other mistake was protesting at the game. His viewpoint is irrelevant. Every one has a viewpoint. What he had that most people don't is a huge platform. But that platform wasn't enough for him; he needed to coopt the platform of an NFL game too. Again, it's a kind of cheating. No other player is holding up a Pro-Choice sign, or a From My Cold Dead Hand sign, or a Restore Prohibition sign.

Ed Reed calling Drew Brees a sucker -- such command of the facts, such perspicacity, such logic, such perspicuity. Really, it's overwhelming, isn't it?

Drew Brees said nothing controversial. The oversized reaction shows (at best) that proportionality is overtaken by emotion. At worst, it shows that censorship and obsequiousness are the only acceptable responses.

Here is the thing about what Drew said my friend. He is quoted as saying that he cries when he thinks about how his grandfathers fought for that flag. His grandfather's I'm sure came back to a country that loved and celebrated them. On the other hand, many black people's grandparents came home to a country that hated them.

There was never a "truce". This country was literally built on the idea that black and white are not on the same team.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Opinion: The change on kneeling

When Colin Kapernick took a knee to protest the violence against black people by police, I was adamantly against it. (Even lost my brother to it. We don't speak anymore. I love him and miss him dearly.) My reasoning was similar to Drew Brees,the flag is what unites us, this was just another division for our country. I felt it disrespected those who died for that flag.

The problem here I was not looking at it from the perspective of the those kneeling. To many Americans the flag is a sign of oppression. Things I knew then and still believe now is the criminal justice system is rigged against minorities, especially black Americans. Things like mandatory drug sentencing to the war on drugs subjugated many Americans to prison, even more disproportionately black Americans. Privatized prisons are a ridiculous concept that has somehow been allowed to thrive.

Police have quotas! They have to cite so many people per month to maintain that quota. They generate revenue for the government. This is another part of the problem. Police are not tax men and their sole purpose should be to curtail dangerous behavior, be it someone driving drunk or someone robbing you!

Regardless of intent, one must think before they post. Burn me at the cross for changing my mind, but this is how change happens. There is no doubt in my mind that if it was Oliver Kruszka instead of George Floyd passing a fake $20 bill, my odds of surviving that altercation were grater than his were far better.

End the idiotic war on drugs. Defund the DEA, they have ZERO accomplishments since their inception. Mandatory sentencing is racist. Let judges decide punishment, it is equally absurd regardless of color and more than likely worse if you are black. 

So black on black crime is higher? So? Statistics should not bear on who is a good person and who is a bad person by the color of their skin. My best friend is black, he is a former soldier, he is a republican, and he is a Donald Trump supporter. I love him no less. In fact I love him more. I agree with him on many of Trump’s policies. It still does not change we can disagree on other things and still love each other.

I understand Drew Brees, but compassion to show him where he is wrong is the same thing I did. What does it hurt me that the man next to me kneels for the national anthem? If I am a true American, I accept him. I stand and I hold hands with him. He is my brother. We do not need to agree on everything, but he must know I agree with his right to be himself. To stand or kneel for what he believes in even if I do not. That is what the flag represents. Not for what we agree on, but to accept and work together to find something we agree that will make all of us stronger.
    So I should capitulate to the emotional whims of others without them bothering to understand my point-of-view. I find it disrespectful to protest the flag.

I don't like Kaepernick kneeling but he's free to do whatever he wants. I can just roll my eyes at him being a virtue-signaling dickhead. The fact that he's a flaming hypocrite is why I hate the guy. This article perfectly sums up everything wrong with his stance and that of people who support him.
    https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...117033883.html
    Last edited by darb72; 06-04-2020 at 04:29 AM.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    Sounds like some players don’t want to be on the same field with anyone that respects the America flag. Teammates call him the problem with America.

If this turns into a blacks won’t do anything with whites thing, sports are in trouble.

So should all whites be against whites and America, just to make some blacks happy?

Or should we go back to having white America and Black America.

Two different sports leagues, so blacks don’t have to associate with whites?

I haven’t seen one black or one Democrat’s come to Brees support

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports....21.html?espv=1
    If you dont get it then you are part of the problem

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Any person that think kneeling is disrespectful to the military is wrong as we fight for your freedom to stand or not stand the flag is not about us stop making about us. If any tells you different they are self serving and in the wrong business

When Colin Kapernick took a knee to protest the violence against black people by police, I was adamantly against it. (Even lost my brother to it. We don't speak anymore. I love him and miss him dearly.) My reasoning was similar to Drew Brees,the flag is what unites us, this was just another division for our country. I felt it disrespected those who died for that flag.

The problem here I was not looking at it from the perspective of the those kneeling. To many Americans the flag is a sign of oppression. Things I knew then and still believe now is the criminal justice system is rigged against minorities, especially black Americans. Things like mandatory drug sentencing to the war on drugs subjugated many Americans to prison, even more disproportionately black Americans. Privatized prisons are a ridiculous concept that has somehow been allowed to thrive.

Police have quotas! They have to cite so many people per month to maintain that quota. They generate revenue for the government. This is another part of the problem. Police are not tax men and their sole purpose should be to curtail dangerous behavior, be it someone driving drunk or someone robbing you!

Regardless of intent, one must think before they post. Burn me at the cross for changing my mind, but this is how change happens. There is no doubt in my mind that if it was Oliver Kruszka instead of George Floyd passing a fake $20 bill, my odds of surviving that altercation were grater than his were far better.

End the idiotic war on drugs. Defund the DEA, they have ZERO accomplishments since their inception. Mandatory sentencing is racist. Let judges decide punishment, it is equally absurd regardless of color and more than likely worse if you are black. 

So black on black crime is higher? So? Statistics should not bear on who is a good person and who is a bad person by the color of their skin. My best friend is black, he is a former soldier, he is a republican, and he is a Donald Trump supporter. I love him no less. In fact I love him more. I agree with him on many of Trump’s policies. It still does not change we can disagree on other things and still love each other.

I understand Drew Brees, but compassion to show him where he is wrong is the same thing I did. What does it hurt me that the man next to me kneels for the national anthem? If I am a true American, I accept him. I stand and I hold hands with him. He is my brother. We do not need to agree on everything, but he must know I agree with his right to be himself. To stand or kneel for what he believes in even if I do not. That is what the flag represents. Not for what we agree on, but to accept and work together to find something we agree that will make all of us stronger.
    Thank you for seeing us that's all we ask

Quote Originally Posted by guymf4 View Post
    I won't say it ruined it, but it brought politics into football at a level its never been introduced before.

The founding father of our country wanted a separation between church and state, not because they worried about religion in their politics but because they feared politics in their religion. Football is my religion and I prefer it without the taint of politics, especially given how divisive they have become on both sides. Football brings us together aside from our differences. It shouldn't serve as a platform for political beliefs that separate us.

Also why there's a separate board for it

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    Our founding father never included blacks in their discussions about men being created equal we were property. The emancipation proclamation was an act not a law passed through Congress same as the civil rights act which were both by Presidents which can be revoked at any given moment people still forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman43 View Post
    Our founding father never included blacks in their discussions about men being created equal we were property. The emancipation proclamation was an act not a law passed through Congress same as the civil rights act which were both by Presidents which can be revoked at any given moment people still forget that.

Oh dear God, another one.

The emancipation proclamation only said slaves in Confederate states would be freed and had no constitutional authority at all. The 13th amendment, which makes slavery illegal, is based on the emancipation proclamation.

The Civil Rights Act passed congress 73-27 and was signed into law by Lyndon Johnson.

Neither of these things can be revoked with an executive order. Hell, one is a constitutional amendment which can only be removed by 38 of the 50 states.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

That was both heart felt and beautiful Capt!! Not that it matters but you Sir have a earned a new respect from yours truly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cap,
    You and Iceman and I went around and around on this topic years ago and here it is again. I thanked you for your differing but respectful position then and I thank you for your ability to evolve on it now. As some of us actual veterans tried to educate folks on this before - kneeling is a sign of respect.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman43 View Post
    Any person that think kneeling is disrespectful to the military is wrong as we fight for your freedom to stand or not stand the flag is not about us stop making about us. If any tells you different they are self serving and in the wrong business

Seconded!

Quote Originally Posted by Blovius_Maximus View Post

Everything you just wrote is an OPINION. Except for the quote from Brees, the quote itself was a fact, but it was his OPINION. It shouldn't be that difficult for you to understand that just because you feel this way does not mean the guy standing right next to you feels the same. His life experiences might be vastly different than yours.