Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Any recommendation on a new gas grill?

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Do yous not use charcoal over there?
    I prefer charcoal to gas, but I’ve been really happy with my pellet grill. Pellets are basically compressed sawdust...so it smokes well, it’s cheap, and it’s easy cleanup. Essentially, you’re cooking with real wood.

My problem with charcoal is I don’t always have time to sit there and babysit the coals. Controlling the temperature can also be challenging, which in my opinion makes charcoal grills not as versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    What's your budget?

According to Consumer Reports, the top rated propane/gas grill is the Weber Genesis.

The Napoleon gas grill is pretty interesting because it has some accessories where you can use the gas burners to basically ignite a tray with charcoal bricquets and get that "charcoal" grilling flavor. The Napoleon's aren't cheap though...about $1,000.

https://www.atbbq.com/grills-and-smo...ess-steel.html

I recently purchased a grill and was looking at a Big Green Egg, a propane grill, and then I came across pellet smokers. I ended up getting a Green Mountain Grill pellet smoker - the Daniel Boone Prime model with built in WiFi. I've done a brisket on it, smoked salmon, ribs, veggies, burgers, dogs, and chicken. It's fantastic. I really love it. It's just as easy as a propane/gas grill, IMO and you don't have to worry about the propane tank or anything.

Check them out -

https://greenmountaingrills.com/
    Wicked - I was seriously considering giving up my gas weber (have not used in 2 years, needs maintenance) for a pellet grill. Do you have any concerns over breathing in carcinogens with the smoke of a pellet? I have read some people use the oven first, then finish with the pellet grill. I also know it needs to be plugged in. How does the taste of veggies and chicken compare to a gas grill? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    A cheap little charcoal grill tastes much better to me, but it certainly is a mess.
    Bonus points for wood “charcoal”, even better.

Yea thats what i think as well. Just buy the charcoal bags and stick a match to it. Cant beat the taste and the bbq themselves are dirt cheap

I prefer charcoal to gas, but I’ve been really happy with my pellet grill. Pellets are basically compressed sawdust...so it smokes well, it’s cheap, and it’s easy cleanup. Essentially, you’re cooking with real wood.

My problem with charcoal is I don’t always have time to sit there and babysit the coals. Controlling the temperature can also be challenging, which in my opinion makes charcoal grills not as versatile.

At times we oven cook the chicken etc, half 3/4 done then stick it on the charcoal to finish it up because of the temp isssue.

It can get burnt before its cooked

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2bynight View Post
    Wicked - I was seriously considering giving up my gas weber (have not used in 2 years, needs maintenance) for a pellet grill. Do you have any concerns over breathing in carcinogens with the smoke of a pellet? I have read some people use the oven first, then finish with the pellet grill. I also know it needs to be plugged in. How does the taste of veggies and chicken compare to a gas grill? Thanks.
    Regarding breathing in the smoke, yea...it's not pleasant, but it's not too dissimilar from what you'd inhale standing around a camp fire. I normally open the grill lid and let the smoke air out for a few seconds before sticking my face down in there.

The pellets are basically just compressed sawdust. I really don't see burning sawdust any better or worse for you than burning actual wood or burning charcoal from Kingsford with lighter fluid on it, etc. In fact, with the pellets, you're not using any type of ignition fuel, fluid, etc. It has a small heating element that ignites the pellets and because you're burning sawdust, it has a much lower ignition point than charcoal.

I did chicken breasts with a dry rub on them a few days ago. It was great. I've been using the green mountain grill "general" blend, which is not as abrasive of a smoke as some of their other pellet blends (like their Texas blend, which is heavy mesquite).

I did a hot smoked salmon last Sunday. It was fantastic. Super moist and flavorful. Slight smoke on it.

I did an 8-hr brisket a couple of weeks ago and I got a really nice smoke ring, good flavor, and we ended up eating the brisket slices with raw onions and a horseradish/mayo sauce I made on kaiser rolls...kind of like a pit-beef sammich. It was really quite tasty.

What I like about the Green Mountain Grill (and I suspect you'd have similar consumer feedback for Yoder, Traeger, and Pittboss pellet grills) is their versatility. You can cold smoke (good for making nova lox salmon, smoked trout, smoked cheese)...you can do the traditional smoked meats like pork butt, ribs, and brisket...and you can crank the heat up to searing temps and do more "grill" foods like burgers, dogs, steaks, etc.

One thing I would recommend is getting a smoking tube as an accessory. It's basically a small metal tube that you pack with extra pellets and put it beside the food you're smoking for extra smoke flavor - this is good to do with smoking fish because it helps introduce as much smoke into the food as quickly as possible.

The pellet grills do need to be plugged in. I can see this being an issue for some people. I happen to have an electrical outlet outside in my patio/grilling area. So, that wasn't an issue for me.

I just really like that the Green Mountain Grill Prime series has a WiFi with an app you can use to control temps, adjust temps on the fly, start the grill remotely for pre-heating, and monitor temps of your food with dual meat probes. It's a pretty simple set up and so far the results have been solid.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I use it for smoking things, but for everyday use propane is so much easier.

Probably doesn't hurt that we have a camp stove with a griddle, and brew our own beer, so there is always another bottle around somewhere if the grill runs out.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Regarding breathing in the smoke, yea...it's not pleasant, but it's not too dissimilar from what you'd inhale standing around a camp fire. I normally open the grill lid and let the smoke air out for a few seconds before sticking my face down in there.

The pellets are basically just compressed sawdust. I really don't see burning sawdust any better or worse for you than burning actual wood or burning charcoal from Kingsford with lighter fluid on it, etc. In fact, with the pellets, you're not using any type of ignition fuel, fluid, etc. It has a small heating element that ignites the pellets and because you're burning sawdust, it has a much lower ignition point than charcoal.

I did chicken breasts with a dry rub on them a few days ago. It was great. I've been using the green mountain grill "general" blend, which is not as abrasive of a smoke as some of their other pellet blends (like their Texas blend, which is heavy mesquite).

I did a hot smoked salmon last Sunday. It was fantastic. Super moist and flavorful. Slight smoke on it.

I did an 8-hr brisket a couple of weeks ago and I got a really nice smoke ring, good flavor, and we ended up eating the brisket slices with raw onions and a horseradish/mayo sauce I made on kaiser rolls...kind of like a pit-beef sammich. It was really quite tasty.

What I like about the Green Mountain Grill (and I suspect you'd have similar consumer feedback for Yoder, Traeger, and Pittboss pellet grills) is their versatility. You can cold smoke (good for making nova lox salmon, smoked trout, smoked cheese)...you can do the traditional smoked meats like pork butt, ribs, and brisket...and you can crank the heat up to searing temps and do more "grill" foods like burgers, dogs, steaks, etc.

One thing I would recommend is getting a smoking tube as an accessory. It's basically a small metal tube that you pack with extra pellets and put it beside the food you're smoking for extra smoke flavor - this is good to do with smoking fish because it helps introduce as much smoke into the food as quickly as possible.

The pellet grills do need to be plugged in. I can see this being an issue for some people. I happen to have an electrical outlet outside in my patio/grilling area. So, that wasn't an issue for me.

I just really like that the Green Mountain Grill Prime series has a WiFi with an app you can use to control temps, adjust temps on the fly, start the grill remotely for pre-heating, and monitor temps of your food with dual meat probes. It's a pretty simple set up and so far the results have been solid.
    your thoughts Wicked. Everything you have made sounds delicious!

Blog Entries

I have a Weber Genesis II. Easy to light up and temp seems consistent. My steaks typically turnout how I like them.

I didn't read all the comments, .Just thought I would give my input.
    When I bought my first townhouse 25 yrs ago, I was looking to save money, and bought a chargrill from the depot for about $250. My brother went all out and paid $700 for a weber. I laughed at hime. said he was waiting his money. Even invited him over that weekend and showed him how great my grill worked. 3-4 years later, all rusted out, I tried to replace parts. It was a pain. That was a short term fix. I bought another $250 grill. 3-4 years later, repeat. Now, 12 years later, I have invested $750 and my brother is laughing at me. his weber was still going strong. I broke down and got the stainless genesis on the end of year deal for $800 That was in 2010. It looks about a year old. Works amazing. Starts right up on the first click.

Spend $1000 today, or spend it over the next few years. Either way, don't be fooled by the discount grills They actually cost more, you are just paying in smaller payments.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    I didn't read all the comments, .Just thought I would give my input.
    When I bought my first townhouse 25 yrs ago, I was looking to save money, and bought a chargrill from the depot for about $250. My brother went all out and paid $700 for a weber. I laughed at hime. said he was waiting his money. Even invited him over that weekend and showed him how great my grill worked. 3-4 years later, all rusted out, I tried to replace parts. It was a pain. That was a short term fix. I bought another $250 grill. 3-4 years later, repeat. Now, 12 years later, I have invested $750 and my brother is laughing at me. his weber was still going strong. I broke down and got the stainless genesis on the end of year deal for $800 That was in 2010. It looks about a year old. Works amazing. Starts right up on the first click.

Spend $1000 today, or spend it over the next few years. Either way, don't be fooled by the discount grills They actually cost more, you are just paying in smaller payments.
    This. I should have gone with a Genesis with more stainless. I bought the 3 burner Spirit II. It has stainless burners and cast iron body. I will probably have to replace the "flavorizer bars" and grates but not for a while. The cheap grills at home depot do rust out in 2 years to the point where you can't even attach new burners. Just unbelievably cheap.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Carroll my man. I have a ( don’t laugh) CharBroil grill. I have the Commercial Tru Infrared 4 burner. Had it for about 5 yrs. love it. The infrared keeps down flare ups and the porcelain grates are easy to clean. Very accurate temp adjustment too. I’ve done a lot of roasts and “big meat” with indirect heat since it’s so easy to control.

It’s actually stainless also. Do yourself a favor and take a small magnet with you. Good 304 stainless isn’t magnetic.

Got the same grill for even longer. I did have to replace the infrared plates a few years back but I could have taken better care of them.

Carroll, if you have natural gas into your home I suggest getting a grill that is convertible to natural gas and running a line out to the grill. I did it with this grill a long while ago and have thoroughly enjoyed not having to go get propane (sorry Hank Hill) or worry about how much is left.

That is my main suggestion if you have natural gas get a grill that can use it.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I smoke with charcoal, hickory, and some other woods. When tailgating I use two small charcoal grills.

But we do a lot of backyard pool parties and cooking dozens of burgers and dogs (and other stuff) throughout a long day on a charcoal grill would be a lot of work.

The smoker doesn't require the attention of a grill, especially once you get the hang of it.