Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Football figures commenting on George Floyd & related events

The coroner says no signs of strangulation.
    https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...-Complaint.pdf

I don't know how the jury is going to decide since Chauvin is being charged with third degree murder.
    https://www.riverslawyers.com/other-...he-3rd-degree/
    "Third-degree murder in Minnesota involves killing another person without premeditation and intent, through inherently dangerous acts, and with no regard for human life. “Inherently dangerous acts” may be direct or indirect. The charge of third-degree murder encompasses unintentional murders, “depraved mind” murders and certain drug-related deaths, including drug-induced homicide."

The Minneapolis Police Department says in its guidelines that putting your knee on someone's neck is not condoned because of safety concerns, though not specifically forbidden. Honestly the trial could go either way.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post

I don't know how the jury is going to decide since Chauvin is being charged with third degree murder.
    "Third-degree murder in Minnesota involves killing another person without premeditation and intent, through inherently dangerous acts, and with no regard for human life. “Inherently dangerous acts” may be direct or indirect. The charge of third-degree murder encompasses unintentional murders, “depraved mind” murders and certain drug-related deaths, including drug-induced homicide."

The Minneapolis Police Department says in its guidelines that putting your knee on someone's neck is not condoned because of safety concerns, though not specifically forbidden. Honestly the trial could go either way.
    A choke can either block someone’s airway or the blood flow to the brain. Entirely plausible the full autopsy bears that out.
    I think training that it is dangerous should be enough even without a specific guideline against, but I ciils be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would read does not condone as saying it's not allowed personally, but it is definitely a less forceful wording.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Flores said:
    "Most recently, I've had conversations about incentivizing teams for hiring minorities. Again, there was some outrage in the media and talks that this would cause division amongst coaches, executives and ownership.

I bring these situations up because I haven't seen the same OUTRAGE from people of influence when the conversation turns to Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor and most recently George Floyd. Many people who broadcast their opinions on kneeling or on the hiring of minorities don't seem to have an opinion on the recent murders of these young black men and women."

One reason why people talk less about those issues: they aren't prospective or ongoing. Conversations about what happened are different than conversations about what ought to happen or what might happen. People seem to think they know the facts of the proposed hiring practices or of Kap's protests. By contrast, the Arbery, Taylor, and Floyd cases require a greater information costs, greater costs of learning.

Why, just today we learned that Floyd and Chauvin worked at the same club. Did they know each other? Were they on good terms or was there animosity between the two? Floyd's death might have been personal rather than racial. We also learned that Chauvin has a history of complaints being registered against him. What does that mean?

And later today we learned that "The autopsy revealed no physical findings that support a diagnosis of traumatic asphyxia or strangulation." Furthermore, "The combined effects of Mr. Floyd being restrained by the police, his underlying health conditions and any potential intoxicants in his system likely contributed to his death."

Who knows what news tomorrow might bring?

Some people don't like issuing early opinions on hot button issues because they know that new facts emerge but that the human tendency to save face makes it difficult to adjust opinions accordingly. So, better to remain silent and thought a fool then to burn down a police station.

Blog Entries

I think the OP very well knows how this topic would easily devolve into nasty politicking, insults, etc. Won't allow it to bog down the main forum.

Regarding George Floyd - it's an awful situation and the man did not deserve that. Citizens of Minneapolis have a right to be pissed off and disgusted with the police department. Thankfully, the police department did the right thing by immediately terminating the offending officer and he has since been arrested and charged with murder/manslaughter. I say good. That's what should happen in situations like this. That's why we have a judicial system with evidence collection and due process. Give the shitbird his day in court and if it plays out like I suspect it will, he will spend a long time behind bars - possibly the rest of his life. Furthermore, this man is a cop going to prison for killing a black man. He's going to have a tough time in prison and will likely wind up dead.

What is more disturbing to me are the other police officers that were with him and stood by and did nothing. That culture has got to go within police departments. There is no honor in protecting bad cops simply because they're cops.

--------
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    A choke can either block someone’s airway or the blood flow to the brain. Entirely plausible the full autopsy bears that out.
    I think training that it is dangerous should be enough even without a specific guideline against, but I ciils be wrong.

The guy was on the ground, cuffed, with multiple cops around him. At that point the cop should have gotten up and put him in the car, or at the very least, sat Floyd up.

I sincerely doubt Chauvin wanted to kill Floyd, but it is pretty obvious that he had little regard for his well-being. A person like that shouldn't be a police officer.

The nature of being a police officer means accepting being held to a higher standard. This cop did not adhere to those standards. And, from what we're all understanding now, he has had some problems in the past that probably should have removed him from the police force anyway.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I don't see how the cop could possibly be found not guilty of a murder charge. From what I saw in the video, Mr Floyd was not resisting or fighting the arrest. He said several times that he could not breath and the cop did nothing to help the situation. Why wasn't he just put in the back of the police car since he had already been handcuffed and cooperating. He was arrested for using a counterfeit $20 bill to buy cigarettes for God's sakes. What are the other cops going to be charged with? They did nothing to intervene and should also be charged with something also.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post

I believe they're trained that it's dangerous.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

It's not a partisan issue, but the first two posts turned it into one pretty quick by not talking about the case.
    How?

I was talking about football players, and an active coach.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    The guy was on the ground, cuffed, with multiple cops around him. At that point the cop should have gotten up and put him in the car, or at the very least, sat Floyd up.

I sincerely doubt Chauvin wanted to kill Floyd, but it is pretty obvious that he had little regard for his well-being. A person like that shouldn't be a police officer.

The nature of being a police officer means accepting being held to a higher standard. This cop did not adhere to those standards. And, from what we're all understanding now, he has had some problems in the past that probably should have removed him from the police force anyway.
    Absolutely. I want Chauvin to be held accountable for what transpired. He stayed on George's neck for two minutes after he stopped breathing showing a complete disregard for human life. The fact they knew each other from a previous job is pretty telling as well.
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    How?

I was talking about football players, and an active coach.
    You were pretty specific about them being white players. That's going to bring race into the conversation and you know it.
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

Absolutely. I want Chauvin to be held accountable for what transpired. He stayed on George's neck for two minutes after he stopped breathing showing a complete disregard for human life. The fact they knew each other from a previous job is pretty telling as well.
    If they had a beef from the time they spent working at the same nightclub, then that could bump up the charges against Chauvin. That is one hell of a coincidence.

“When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare