Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Football figures commenting on George Floyd & related events

We got white QBs, and an NFL head coach, weighing in a little.

Everyone deserves to feel safe & protected in their communities – it’s on us to use our voices and actions to make that happen.

What happened is completely unacceptable.

#JusticeForFloyd

Miami Dolphins coach Brian Flores releases statement on George Floyd, Minneapolis events
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...eapolis-events
    "I vividly remember the Colin Kaepernick conversations. 'Don't ever disrespect the flag' was the phrase that I heard over and over again. This idea that players were kneeling in support of social justice was something some people couldn't wrap their head around. The outrage that I saw in the media and the anger I felt in some of my own private conversations caused me to sever a few long-standing friendships.

Most recently, I've had conversations about incentivizing teams for hiring minorities. Again, there was some outrage in the media and talks that this would cause division amongst coaches, executives and ownership.

I bring these situations up because I haven't seen the same OUTRAGE from people of influence when the conversation turns to Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor and most recently George Floyd. Many people who broadcast their opinions on kneeling or on the hiring of minorities don't seem to have an opinion on the recent murders of these young black men and women."

That seems positive, to me. In some previous cases of social outcry on similar matters, HCs and white QBs were conspicuously silent. To my mind, that contributed to the racial nature of the split on those controversies. This is better.

I'm kinda shocked that Flores went there. But super impressed with him for it. And in a very measured way too, highlighting "outrage".

Side note on Flores: This stacks on top of his rallying that Dolphins roster to a 5-4 record in their last nine games; and him putting his little boys on the phone with their first-rd pick on draft night. He seems like a very genuine leader. Thoughtful too, judging by this statement. If Tua turns out to be anything at all, Flores could have a long & successful career.

Re: Football figures commenting on George Floyd & related events

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    We got white QBs, and an NFL head coach, weighing in a little.

Miami Dolphins coach Brian Flores releases statement on George Floyd, Minneapolis events
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...eapolis-events

That seems positive, to me. In some previous cases of social outcry on similar matters, HCs and white QBs were conspicuously silent. To my mind, that contributed to the racial nature of the split on those controversies. This is better.

I'm kinda shocked that Flores went there. But super impressed with him for it. And in a very measured way too, highlighting "outrage".

Side note on Flores: This stacks on top of his rallying that Dolphins roster to a 5-4 record in their last nine games; and him putting his little boys on the phone with their first-rd pick on draft night. He seems like a very genuine leader. Thoughtful too, judging by this statement. If Tua turns out to be anything at all, Flores could have a long & successful career.
    Hope they dont catch as much shit as Colin Kaepernick got for peacefully kneeling for the same reason...

Somehow, i think they wont.

This really needs to be in the politics forum.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by cjandrze View Post
    Hope they dont catch as much shit as Colin Kaepernick got for peacefully kneeling for the same reason...

No one cared that Kaepernick kneeled or cared about the issue of police brutality. It's that he did it during the playing National Anthem. A lot of people have problem with what they perceive as disrespect of that symbol. You can argue that's dumb, or wrong, or superstitious, or counter to what the flag represents etc.. but you really can't argue the fact that's what people were upset about. I think he could have rallied a lot of people to his cause and done something powerful if he hadn't made that gesture part of his brand.

If these guys got together and did something like burn or even turn away from an American flag in protest they'd get hammered.

Please don't shoot the messenger here.
    Last edited by BustOfPallas; 05-29-2020 at 05:47 PM.

Lol. Silly. You KNOW they won’t.

But to the point of Jimmy Ann Arbor post .....I think it’s great that these guys actually care enough to say something. Wentz’s post is awesome. Kid gets it. Doesnt pretend to “understand “. It is indeed a Sad , Sad world we live in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    No one cared that Kaepernick kneeled or cared about the issue of police brutality. It's that he did it during the playing National Anthem. A lot of people have problem with what they perceive as disrespect of that symbol. You argue that's dumb, or wrong, or superstitious, or counter to what the flag represents etc.. but you really can't argue the fact that's what people were upset about. I think he could have rallied a lot of people to his cause and done something powerful if he hadn't made that gesture part of his brand.

If these guys got together and did something like burn or even turn away from an American flag in protest they'd get hammered.

Please don't shoot the messenger here.
    I don’t have any desire to rehash this, and I imagine no one else does either, but once again, kneeling is and always has been a respectful gesture, which is specifically why ret. Green Beret Nate Boyer convinced Kaepernick to kneel instead of remaining seated on the bench.

When someone knelt in front of a King they weren’t accused of disrespect lol. It’s the exact opposite. That’s all I’ll say on Kap.

As to the matter at hand, I’m not getting my hopes up, and I’ll believe we’ll get real reform when I actually see it, but the response really does feel different this time. We’ll see.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Why? This shouldn’t be a partisan political issue.

“When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Why? This shouldn’t be a partisan political issue.

It's not a partisan issue, but the first two posts turned it into one pretty quick by not talking about the case.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Saying the words "Colin Kaepernick" has the magical ability to make bits and bites fly from one forum to the other on the internet.

Blog Entries

Please not the anthem Kapernick issue again. How many times do we have to say the same things to each other.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Please not the anthem Kapernick issue again. How many times do we have to say the same things to each other.
    I agree. Let’s keep Kaepernick out of this discussion. This isn’t about him.

“When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Probably true

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk