Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Memories of Rumors Proven True on the Board

A poster recently caught some stick for a rumor that did not become a reality. He is not the first and will not be the last. With that in mind, however, it may be good to remember that we've also had our share of 'rumors' proven to be true. Off the top of my head, I can think of three instances. Instances when a poster started a thread about a rumor they heard from someone they felt was a reliable source, only to be struck down by the board members within an instant. Followed by the shocking reality that the rumors were true.

The main one that comes to mind is about Sergio Kindle. A poster started a thread, stating that they heard Kindle fell down some stairs and cracked his skull. Essentially, he was partying, got drunk and fell down two flights of stairs. The rumor was attacked like a mob trying to uncover a witch. Less than 24 hours later, word started being spread by various media outlets. I actually text a friend who went to school down in Texas and he too knew of the story. Kindle was partying at a famous Texas strip, to which he (Kindle) was a familiar face. He indeed got drunk, fell down the stairs and suffered a head injury.

Another one that comes to mind is when Terrell Suggs tore his Achilles. Someone started a thread, stating they'd heard a rumor that Suggs tore his Achilles during a basketball game. Yet again, it was like watching the Witch episode of the Scooby-Doo Show. To add to that, yet again, the truth came to light within 24 hours.

Now, this particular one wasn't along those lines, and it was one that did not take anyone by surprise. It was certainly a different situation. When a poster mentioned that they had a friend who did some work at the Castle and got a glimpse of the board. His friend wouldn't tell him who the player was at the top of it. Eventually, he gave the clue that the player was from Colorado, but also said "Think offense". The Colorado clue made it obvious, but the second clue left some confused. After the 2011 draft, the poster confronted his friend, saying (Paraphrasing): 'Jimmy Smith plays defense you idiot'. It turns out the friend wasn't a fan of football.

This was just a stroll down memory lane. We understand that when you're wrong about something, you'll catch a little stick, but let's be mindful of times when we approached these rumors too strongly and wound up tempting fate.
    Last edited by The Excellector; 05-29-2020 at 04:00 PM.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Re: Memories of Rumors Proven True on the Board

Yeah. No need to shame people for being wrong. Sometimes things change. But when people hear stuff I’d rather they share than not.

So, did Chris Redman actually wreck himself in a hunting mishap?

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    Yeah. No need to shame people for being wrong. Sometimes things change. But when people hear stuff I’d rather they share than not.
    This.

Unfortunately the mob has seen to it that the two most recent cases will most likely never share a rumor again no matter how reliable it is.

Sucks.

95% or the rumors that get passed down here end up being wrong (I mean, unless John Harbaugh is now the Head Coach at Michigan, and somehow I missed it).

The issue isn't so much that people pass on things they hear, it's that they almost always become emotionally invested in believing that their "source" is some super-reliable insider who has direct knowledge of the inner-workings of the Ravens organization, and that's almost always not true.
    In short, if your "source" isn't a Ravens scout, coach, or front office employee, then sorry, but you don't have a "source": you have a Friend-of-a-friend (FOAF) rumor. That's it. I hate to be the one to break this to you, but your best buddy, who works with a guy that has an IT company that does some sub-contracting work at the Castle doesn't have any fucking clue what's going on.

Nothing wrong with talking about gossip to pass the time, especially in the off-season. But if people stopped getting so personally invested in the (mostly false) rumors they hear and pass on, they wouldn't take so much flak when they end up being wrong.
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but NOT to their own facts" - Daniel P. Moynihan

Oh yes, I remember well Will Hill. I don't remember if it was first reported by a board member, but I remember well the meltdown that wasn't justified.

I have a friend who works for the Ravens and reports to one of the executives. He used to frequently give me a few nuggets here and there about something that was going on behind the scene or things that were coming up on game day that no one else knew about. I passed on a couple things here, one of which the team was not happy about being made public. Long story short, said buddy got called on the carpet at the Castle, and now during the week when I ask him questions about what’s going on he says, “dude.. you’re not getting shit from me”

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    95% or the rumors that get passed down here end up being wrong (I mean, unless John Harbaugh is now the Head Coach at Michigan, and somehow I missed it).

The issue isn't so much that people pass on things they hear, it's that they almost always become emotionally invested in believing that their "source" is some super-reliable insider who has direct knowledge of the inner-workings of the Ravens organization, and that's almost always not true.
    In short, if your "source" isn't a Ravens scout, coach, or front office employee, then sorry, but you don't have a "source": you have a Friend-of-a-friend (FOAF) rumor. That's it. I hate to be the one to break this to you, but your best buddy, who works with a guy that has an IT company that does some sub-contracting work at the Castle doesn't have any fucking clue what's going on.

Nothing wrong with talking about gossip to pass the time, especially in the off-season. But if people stopped getting so personally invested in the (mostly false) rumors they hear and pass on, they wouldn't take so much flak when they end up being wrong.
    Devil's advocate: Could the posters get defensive because they more or less get accused of making stuff up? People do know people that work at the castle. I think inside info being wrong is more of a testament of how quickly things change in the NFL.

The two most recent rumors, IMO, were very believable. If LJ didn't come in and will this team to a division title, I am not sure Harbaugh is still coaching this. I dont think its out of the question that the decision makers were set on firing him only to have a change of heart once LJ breath new life into this team.

I also don't think the Thomas rumors are that far fetched either. Especially, since the Ravens name keeps coming up in conversations about Jamal Adam's. They have atleast explored it. Maybe they decided the cost was to great but the rumors about them looking for an out of Earl's contract and the rumors of wanting Adam's, that have been going since the season, don't keep popping up because the Ravens are twiddling their thumbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    I have a friend who works for the Ravens and reports to one of the executives. He used to frequently give me a few nuggets here and there about something that was going on behind the scene or things that were coming up on game day that no one else knew about. I passed on a couple things here, one of which the team was not happy about being made public. Long story short, said buddy got called on the carpet at the Castle, and now during the week when I ask him questions about what’s going on he says, “dude.. you’re not getting shit from me”
    Oh man, I bet that felt a little uncomfortable, but friends don't take it personal.
    My daughter was on a team with a teammate who's father I was talking to after the Superbowl in 2012. Turned out to be someone very high up with the Ravens, I won't say who. I kinda stayed away from anything that would make him uncomfortable, but he was extremely friendly and open.

Point is, for people to think no one here can have a reputable source, is ludicrous and judgemental. It's a small world out there. People here would be surprised at some sources I have known in politics and most recently, family and guests at our cousins wedding that had all kinds of first person direct information on some very famous people in sports and entertainment. Some worked directly for them for years.

Don't doubt everyone or flame them because they are trying to help break possible news to a pretty tight group of board members. I welcome it, if someone is wrong who cares, especially when that person premises the rumor as just that. People get offended too damn easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
    Oh yes, I remember well Will Hill. I don't remember if it was first reported by a board member, but I remember well the meltdown that wasn't justified.
    Classic RSR thread

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

What was the Will Hill thread in reference to? That must have been way before my time on this board.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VRaven View Post
    What was the Will Hill thread in reference to? That must have been way before my time on this board.
    I looked and couldn't find that thread, both in search and browsing back to like page 230 where the 2016 posts are, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think someone posted a rumor that Hill was going to be released, before we knew it was because of a failed drug test. At the time, Hill was pretty well thought of by the fan base (remember this was the time they were struggling with safety and had been trying guys like Huff, Elam, Lewis, Stewart, etc.), so people were...not happy.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52