Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Harbs call w/ season ticket holders: 5/28/20

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Did he though? They had 500 yards in a game where the Titans dominated TOP. I think Henry gashing our defense, did more to slow our offense than Pees did.
    They really didn't start racking up yards en masse, until the game was well in hand. It was partly by design. Once the game was in hand, the Titans were more interested in just running the clock out. They funneled everything to the middle of the field (Something they hadn't been doing earlier in the game), in order to make the tackle and keep the clock running. That strategy is right up Pees' alley.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    They really didn't start racking up yards en masse, until the game was well in hand. It was partly by design.
    Yeah, you keep saying that. I don't buy it.

I'm sure the defensive strategy wasn't, "Let's give up 500 yds to the QB!" Much more likely the spec-teams penalties fucked us. It's not often you can drive 94 yards and still be outside the end zone.

Quote Originally Posted by 757RavensFan View Post
    Anyone listen to Harbs call this afternoon?
    Ravens dotcom has a piece about it:

"Going into our season last year, we were the iceberg," Harbaugh said. "Ninety percent of what we were going to be capable of was still under water and people hadn't seen it yet. Starting next year, we're not going to be the iceberg. People are going to see us. We're going to be everybody's most important game."

4. Re: Harbs call w/ season ticket holders: 5/28/20

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Yeah, you keep saying that. I don't buy it.

I'm sure the defensive strategy wasn't, "Let's give up 500 yds to the QB!" Much more likely the spec-teams penalties fucked us. It's not often you can drive 94 yards and still be outside the end zone.
    Don't know about design, but the Ravens gained 212 yards in Q4. That's a pretty significant chunk of the 530 yards the Ravens gained on the day.

As for long drives, prior to Q4, only 1 drive gained more than 70 yards. Even that drive took an extreme play (Brown's one-handed catch) plus with a standard Pees' Prevent long 3rd down conversion (26 yards to Roberts on 3rd and 16 from their own 9).

Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    ... with a standard Pees' Prevent long 3rd down conversion...
    Who's the poster here, who has the sig commenting on how giving up the long completion on 4th-down was Pees' preferred medium for expressing his art?

That cracks me up every time.

6. Re: Harbs call w/ season ticket holders: 5/28/20

Who's the poster here, who has the sig commenting on how giving up the long completion on 4th-down was Pees' preferred medium for expressing his art?

Having trouble finding them, but this is what pops to mind: Chemdawg's sig, quoting greenwave (very uncertain about both names).

Ah damn, I was close. User is Bhcforlife (his twitter is @chemdawg410), and the user is greenwave52. Looks like greenwave might have wiped his account? Forum has no posts after 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhc's Sig
    "Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Oh man. I remember that thread. After the Bengals game that ended the season.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 757RavensFan View Post
    Anyone listen to Harbs call this afternoon?

Some key take-aways:
    Queen will more than likely play the MIKE
    Harrison will likely play weak side. Both will get a lot of playing time.
    If anyone listened to the call please help me out because this is driving me nuts.

I saw it reported a couple times that Harbaugh said that Harrison will play weakside but I haven't read where Harbaugh was quoted as saying it. I think notion that Harrison will play weakside is an extrapolation or guesstimation or assumption based on Harbaughs actual quote that Queen will play "Mike".

Actual quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Harbaugh direct quote
    "Let [Queen] use his speed and instincts to run around and make plays in all three phases, be a three-down guy both in our base package and sub package," Harbaugh said "Those two guys (Queen and Harrison) will be kind of roaming in there at those two linebacker spots … and we'll see just how much playing time they earn. We expect them to play a lot of football this year. We're really fired up about those two guys."
    https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news...ckson-and-more

And I've heard that actual quote here:

@34s

But Harbaugh never says that Harrison will play weakside he only said that Queen will likely play "Mike".

And depending on the terminology a Mike in a 34 isn't necessarily the strongside linebacker. I know some 34 defenses designate a Mack(Mike) - Buck or Mike - Ted or Mike - Jack designation as opposed to a Mike - Will designation.

Mike - Will suggest that the Mike will be the "take on guy" downhill thumper linebacker that is schemed to keep the will clean so the Will can run and chase and be the "playmaker".

I don't for a second think this is how Wink intends to use the ILBs.

In the other designations: Mack - Buck or Mike-Ted/Jack the Mack/Mike is the playmaking linebacker that is kept clean to run and chase and the Buck/Ted/Jack ILB is the "banger", "take on guy" or "thumper". These designations make more sense consider the skillset and the film of Queen and Harrison.

So if anyone actually heard the call please let me know if Harbaugh actually said "Harrison will play weakside linebacker" so I can rightfully panic over Queen's potential mis-use.

I did google search for "Harrison will play weakside linebacker" and came up with 2 articles that quote Harbaugh as saying that Harrison will play weakside:
    https://www.si.com/nfl/ravens/news/r...ie-linebackers

https://sports.yahoo.com/john-harbau...180544771.html

But why wouldn't Clifton Brown and Jeff Zrebiec have that quote?

I wonder if SI and Yahoo are guilty of inaccurate viral reporting based on Jeff Zrebiecs twitter post?

If you listened to Harbs call first hand please let me know, because I have a hard time believing that Queen will be the thumper ILB looking to take on OGs and Harrison will be the run and chase ILB that is schemed to be kept clean by Queen taking on blocks.
    Last edited by edromeo; 05-30-2020 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    ...depending on the terminology a Mike in a 34 isn't necessarily the strongside linebacker. I know some 34 defenses designate a Mike - Buck or Mike - Ted designation as opposed to a Mike - Will designation.
    In the other designations: Mack - Buck or Mike-Ted the Mike is the playmaking linebacker that is kept clean to run and chase and the Buck/Ted ILB is the "banger", "take on guy" or "thumper".
    This is the first time I've ever heard the "Bill & Ted" linebacker designations. Most excellent.

Blog Entries

This is the first time I've ever heard the "Bill & Ted" linebacker designations. Most excellent.
    There's also a Jack.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    Don't know about design, but the Ravens gained 212 yards in Q4. That's a pretty significant chunk of the 530 yards the Ravens gained on the day.

As for long drives, prior to Q4, only 1 drive gained more than 70 yards. Even that drive took an extreme play (Brown's one-handed catch) plus with a standard Pees' Prevent long 3rd down conversion (26 yards to Roberts on 3rd and 16 from their own 9).

That means they had 316 yards through 3 quarters, with Henry controlling the ball. That's not a stat that screams of success on defense. If I had to gamble on that formula working again, I wouldn't bank on it.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    There's also a Jack.
    Right over his head Zippy, but I am with ya. ;)