Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Re: Are We Sure Ozzie Got It Wrong with Perriman?

Quote Originally Posted by xiao_ke View Post
    Ogden was taken as BPA. If the Ravens really went need they would have picked Lawrence Phillips and Ozzie even had to talk Art out of drafting Phillips. Ogden played left guard as a rookie because Tony Jones was still the LT.
    So 2 or 3 in 20+ years of 1st Round drafting? Not trying to be argumentative, but it seems like sometimes fans say "well it was a need pick" as if that somehow makes it easier to get the pick wrong. I'm saying whether it was a need pick or a luxury pick, the pool of players to choose from was historically and hysterically bad regardless.

"NEED" picks:
    Ray Lewis
    Boulware
    Starks
    MCCallister
    Jamal Lewis
    Ed Reed
    Sizzle
    Ngata
    Grubs
    Flacco
    Oher
    Jimmy Smith
    Mosley
    Stanley
    Humphrey
    Lamar
    Hollywood
    Queen

ALSO NEED Picks:
    Travis Taylor
    Mark Clayton
    Matt Elam
    Breshad Perriman
    Hayden Hurst

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    Spot on NJ!

For as much as many of us hated the Perriman pick, all I'm saying is holy shite that was an awful class and surprisingly, 4 years later, Perriman was somehow NOT the worst pick they could have made...even through the 1st 2 rounds. I find that to be astounding considering that he was an absolute bust. That class was so bad that even the Steelers got it wrong at the position.

I for one, was one of the few that thought he was going to actually exceed the expectations and do well in the NFL. With his pedigree and a year or two with SSR, I thought he would wind up being the 2nd best behind Cooper. Figured if he could succeed at UCF with Blake Bortles, he could at a minimum be the second coming of Torrey Smith here.

He was supposed to replace the departing Smith and be Smith+.
    Similarly Maxx Williams was supposed to be Pitta+.

Both downgrades who set the franchise back.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Looking back on that draft in its entirety it wasn't a very good class to be honest.
    I was going to make the same point. Agholor was picked six spots earlier and he hasn't exactly been a star. Marcus Peters two spots ahead of that---and they have him in the fold now instead of Perriman, essentially. The picks ahead of and behind Perriman haven't been much. Byron Jones was one pick after Perriman. If they took him we wouldn't have Peters. But not a very good class in the late first.

I have to credit them for the 2017 draft. No one loved the Humphrey pick, most wanted Howard, and he has done little in the league. Same with Haason Reddick taken two ahead of Humphrey. Garrett, Adams, Mahommes, Watson, McCaffery...a lot of solid picks in the top 12 and then a huge drop off.

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    If Ozzie didn't draft Perriman in the first round and instead drafted him in the 4th round he would be. He always had speed but lacked nuance in his route running which was something he should have picked up along his years in the league. Wished he'd figure things out sooner but then again playing with a mediocre QB and a team where receivers go to die was always going to be difficult for green receivers.
    Perriman wasnt going to last to the fourth round though. He was getting first round and second round grades before he was even drafted. The main problem I think with Perriman was him constantly missing valueable time in training camp due to injuries. He showed in his second year with The Ravens that he had the ability to make plays but for a receiver that already needed to work on his game it was highly important for him to get plenty of reps in training camp.

He actually looked better as a receiver when he finally was able to have a healthy training camp but it was too late because The Ravens had signed Micheal Crabtree and John Brown. This was the same year he had a solid season with The Browns. The idea that The Ravens is considered a team where receivers go to die doesnt make sense. Steve Smith Sr, Mike Wallace, and John Brown all gain back relevance in some way as Ravens. John Brown is a perfect example of that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I was going to make the same point. Agholor was picked six spots earlier and he hasn't exactly been a star. Marcus Peters two spots ahead of that---and they have him in the fold now instead of Perriman, essentially. The picks ahead of and behind Perriman haven't been much. Byron Jones was one pick after Perriman. If they took him we wouldn't have Peters. But not a very good class in the late first.

I have to credit them for the 2017 draft. No one loved the Humphrey pick, most wanted Howard, and he has done little in the league. Same with Haason Reddick taken two ahead of Humphrey. Garrett, Adams, Mahommes, Watson, McCaffery...a lot of solid picks in the top 12 and then a huge drop off.
    I was stoked about Humphrey. Ozzie rarely missed on corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I was stoked about Humphrey. Ozzie rarely missed on corners.
    The team put Dean Pees in front of cameras to talk up MH and I think a lot of Ravens fans immediately hated the pick because anything that Dean liked....guilt by association. Not fair to Marlon, or Dean, IMHO.

Blog Entries

The team put Dean Pees in front of cameras to talk up MH and I think a lot of Ravens fans immediately hated the pick because anything that Dean liked....guilt by association. Not fair to Marlon, or Dean, IMHO.
    Kind of like the guy who broke into your house giving you alarm systems advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Blovius_Maximus View Post
    [/B]

He was supposed to replace the departing Smith and be Smith+.
    Similarly Maxx Williams was supposed to be Pitta+.

Both downgrades who set the franchise back.
    Also both injured pretty fast out of the gate. That sucked.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Yes. Ozzie knew he fucked up punting on that 2014 WR class, so he forced the Perriman pick. The consideration isn't whether there was a better WR to take. The consideration is was there a better prospect to take. Landon Collins was the guy talked about the most on here. He would have unequivocally been a better pick

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
    Yes. Ozzie knew he fucked up punting on that 2014 WR class, so he forced the Perriman pick. The consideration isn't whether there was a better WR to take. The consideration is was there a better prospect to take. Landon Collins was the guy talked about the most on here. He would have unequivocally been a better pick
    During the draft, Bud Dupree was the name that fell through to late Round 1 that the board was all over, and in retrospect we the board would have leapfrogged Pittsburgh to draft him. We still could've drafted his Kentucky teammate Za'Darius Smith later.

Blog Entries

Eh, I don't think it was Dean so much as it was adding more pieces to the defense at a time when the perception around the team was that the offense was completely unwatchable and in desperate need of reinforcements, particularly at pass catcher. Hard to remember that now after this past season. They had also just signed Tony Jefferson and Brandon Carr in the offseason. They had Eric Weddle coming off a stellar season and they had Jimmy Smith still. In hindsight Ozzie clearly made the correct move, as with him getting it wrong on Perriman there is also zero doubt he got it right with Humphrey, but I don't fault anyone for being pissed off about it in the moment.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Eh, I don't think it was Dean so much as it was adding more pieces to the defense at a time when the perception around the team was that the offense was completely unwatchable and in desperate need of reinforcements, particularly at pass catcher. Hard to remember that now after this past season. They had also just signed Tony Jefferson and Brandon Carr in the offseason. They had Eric Weddle coming off a stellar season and they had Jimmy Smith still. In hindsight Ozzie clearly made the correct move, as with him getting it wrong on Perriman there is also zero doubt he got it right with Humphrey, but I don't fault anyone for being pissed off about it in the moment.
    It wasn’t pees. It wasn’t so much Humphrey. It was defense on the next pick and the next pick and the next pick, in addition to the signings you listed.