Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Re: Baker Mayfield sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    That quote makes it seem like he doesn't feel that any coaches would have something to teach him. That would be why I wouldn't expect him to improve much.
    Exactly. He doesn't have the right attitude to want to improve IMO. Unless he has a major attitude change, which is possible but unlikely, I can't really see him improving all that much.
    "Put your goggles on, 'cause there's gonna be blood and guts everywhere!" - SSSr

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I think the underlying theme is Manning didn't need to buy into his own hype. Making commercials was ancellory to who he was in school and who his dad was, he was already a bit of a star.

Baker on the other hand not only made commercials, he made a lot of commercials and talked a lot of shit to reporters or whomever he could flame on Twitter at the moment.

Apples and oranges really. Peyton is at least a funny guy. Baker just comes off as an asshole.
    FWIW, Peyton started making commercials in 2004, according to IMDb. He'd already been in the league over five years, took home the MVP in 2003 and was consistently winning and going to the playoffs since 1999 (excluding 2001). Apples to oranges indeed.

The wording of my original post about him making commercials instead of honing his craft was more about his attitude than anything else.
    "Put your goggles on, 'cause there's gonna be blood and guts everywhere!" - SSSr

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaniacx View Post
    FWIW, Peyton started making commercials in 2004, according to IMDb. He'd already been in the league over five years, took home the MVP in 2003 and was consistently winning and going to the playoffs since 1999 (excluding 2001). Apples to oranges indeed.

The wording of my original post about him making commercials instead of honing his craft was more about his attitude than anything else.
    We can all agree he got more face time than he deserved and his on the field performance likely reflected his lack of off the field work ethic.

We can all agree he got more face time than he deserved and his on the field performance likely reflected his lack of off the field work ethic.
    Nope, we can’t all agree with that last point lol. I think it reflected the fact that he’s just not good enough right now. Dude has clearly worked his ass off to get to where he is and I find it exceedingly unlikely to think his work ethic suddenly ground to a halt once he reached the NFL.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    Nope, we can’t all agree with that last point lol. I think it reflected the fact that he’s just not good enough right now. Dude has clearly worked his ass off to get to where he is and I find it exceedingly unlikely to think his work ethic suddenly ground to a halt once he reached the NFL.

His quote about not needing coaching is work ethic where you come from?

His quote about not needing coaching is work ethic where you come from?
    No, that’s being a self-important, narcissistic asshole where I come from.

That same quote talked about how he is constantly breaking down his own film looking for mistakes. He doesn’t work smart, and he thinks he has all the answers, which he clearly doesn’t. But that doesn’t mean he’s not working hard.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree NJ, but I find it perplexing that you are so adamant that his work ethic DIDN'T fall off a cliff. There have been hundred of cases of that exact thing happening. I don't know Baker personally, so I have no reason to believe that the scenario where he felt like he made it and slacked off is not believable. People gave Hue tons of shit for not playing him early, and yes Hue sucked as a head coach, but maybe Hue also knew that Baker wasn't putting in the work needed to sustain success at this level whereas as far as Greg Robinson was concerned, he just maybe didn't give a fuck. When you are the "interim" you are much more likely to do what the folks upstairs want. Granted it's all conjecture on my part, but so is your insistence that Baker didn't pull a Jamarcus...or a Haynesworth...or a Leaf...or a <insert name here of guy that rested on laurels after getting paid>.

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    I'm not saying I agree or disagree NJ, but I find it perplexing that you are so adamant that his work ethic DIDN'T fall off a cliff. There have been hundred of cases of that exact thing happening. I don't know Baker personally, so I have no reason to believe that the scenario where he felt like he made it and slacked off is not believable. People gave Hue tons of shit for not playing him early, and yes Hue sucked as a head coach, but maybe Hue also knew that Baker wasn't putting in the work needed to sustain success at this level whereas as far as Greg Robinson was concerned, he just maybe didn't give a fuck. When you are the "interim" you are much more likely to do what the folks upstairs want. Granted it's all conjecture on my part, but so is your insistence that Baker didn't pull a Jamarcus...or a Haynesworth...or a Leaf...or a <insert name here of guy that rested on laurels after getting paid>.
    Basically I don’t think Baker thinks he’s “made it” yet. He seems hyper-competitive to me, and I genuinely think he does care about winning. Just doesn’t really know how to go about that.

I don’t know what Jamarcus and Leaf have to do with him, they were never known for their work ethic. They were just supremely talented dudes who had jobs handed to them their entire lives. They’re probably the worst examples you could’ve pulled. Baker has had to work his ass off for everything he’s ever gotten in football.

Basically I don’t think Baker thinks he’s “made it” yet. He seems hyper-competitive to me, and I genuinely think he does care about winning. Just doesn’t really know how to go about that.

I don’t know what Jamarcus and Leaf have to do with him, they were never known for their work ethic. They were just supremely talented dudes who had jobs handed to them their entire lives. They’re probably the worst examples you could’ve pulled. Baker has had to work his ass off for everything he’s ever gotten in football.
    'Tis true, he was a walk-on, had to change schools, etc. Like I said a number of times, I think he's being infected by Browns Disease. futbolum turdosa. Maybe Kevin Stefanski is the doctor he needs. I wouldn't sleep on him yet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    This^

This^
    I don’t know why you seem so set on believing that Baker is lazy rather than just bad but I guess we’ll drop it

Blog Entries

I don’t know why you seem so set on believing that Baker is lazy rather than just bad but I guess we’ll drop it
    It is more perception perhaps than reality. People see a guy on TV every other commercial, hear him say he doesn’t need coaching, then regress his second year. Makes you question his work ethic.