Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Maryland top Four high school football state

NCAA Research
    @NCAAResearch
    States that have historically had the highest percentage of their high school football players recruited by a Division I school:
    1. Florida
    2. Georgia
    3. Louisiana
    4. Maryland
    5. South Carolina

Re: Maryland top Four high school football state

Locksley has already put in work here

3. Re: Maryland top Four high school football state

Sadly, Florida, Georgia and Louisiana all regularly field college football teams that place in the top 10. I have no recollection of the Terps EVER fielding a top 10 football team. Basketball yes. Maryland needs to learn how to recruit in their own back yard. What's up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaCrow View Post
    I have no recollection of the Terps EVER fielding a top 10 football team.
    National champs in 1950.

Sadly, Florida, Georgia and Louisiana all regularly field college football teams that place in the top 10. I have no recollection of the Terps EVER fielding a top 10 football team. Basketball yes. Maryland needs to learn how to recruit in their own back yard. What's up with that?
    No idea. Facilities are top notch based on reports

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    No idea. Facilities are top notch based on reports
    Maybe now. They were markedly inferior to the facilities The Big Boys had, as recently as the Ralph Friedgen era.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    National champs in 1950.
    Actually, it was 1953.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sadly, Florida, Georgia and Louisiana all regularly field college football teams that place in the top 10. [B]I have no recollection of the Terps EVER fielding a top 10 football team.[B] Basketball yes. Maryland needs to learn how to recruit in their own back yard. What's up with that?
    They certainly aren't up there with the big boys anymore, but historically they have some great teams.

The Jim Tatum teams in the 1950s were top notch. From the early 70s to the mid 80s, Jerry Clairborne and Bobby Ross had some consistently top 10-20 squads.

Most recently, Ralph had a nice run in the early 2000s.

I will agree that the biggest issue now adays is KEEPING homegrown talent in state. The Terps have fallen SO far behind the bigger programs, it's difficult to retain talent in state.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff66 View Post
    Locksley has already put in work here
    he certainly has

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    National champs in 1950.
    Quote Originally Posted by riprulz8 View Post
    Actually, it was 1953.
    "Officially" yes.

Maryland also claims they were champs in 1951. Oklahoma claims they were champs in 1953.

Champions then were decided by AP and UPI sportswriters. In 1951 undefeated Tennessee was voted champs. But voting was conducted at the end of November back then. Undefeated Maryland finished third. But Maryland went on to beat Tennessee in the '52 Sugar Bowl, hence their 'unofficial' claim to the '51 title.

Similarly, Maryland was voted Champion in '53, and went on to lose to #4 Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl.

I believe football is the only college sport without an NCAA Championship trophy.

Many people also know that the coach of those great UMD teams was Jim Tatum. Tatum took over after Bear Bryant left Maryland after the '46 season. Bryant got into a disagreement with AD Curly Byrd and left in protest. Byrd, recall, had his name on the stadium but it was taken off after his avowed racism came to light. Tatum returned to his alma mater, UNC, in '56, but would only coach there three more season after he died from an infection at age 46.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    "Officially" yes.

Maryland also claims they were champs in 1951. Oklahoma claims they were champs in 1953.

Champions then were decided by AP and UPI sportswriters. In 1951 undefeated Tennessee was voted champs. But voting was conducted at the end of November back then. Undefeated Maryland finished third. But Maryland went on to beat Tennessee in the '52 Sugar Bowl, hence their 'unofficial' claim to the '51 title.

Similarly, Maryland was voted Champion in '53, and went on to lose to #4 Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl.

I believe football is the only college sport without an NCAA Championship trophy.

Many people also know that the coach of those great UMD teams was Jim Tatum. Tatum took over after Bear Bryant left Maryland after the '46 season. Bryant got into a disagreement with AD Curly Byrd and left in protest. Byrd, recall, had his name on the stadium but it was taken off after his avowed racism came to light. Tatum returned to his alma mater, UNC, in '56, but would only coach there three more season after he died from an infection at age 46.
    Neat trick - coaching 3 years after death.

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    Neat trick - coaching 3 years after death.
    Only 3 years after he died. The really great coaches leave their mark for far longer. Vince Lombardi, Bill Walsh: those guys were still coaching for 5 or 7 years after their deaths. John Wooden died 10 years ago: still going strong.