Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Jamal Adams

Re: Jamal Adams

Quote Originally Posted by AQKingRaven View Post

Also think about how Elite we are in the middle if JA. I hated the Mosley and Weddle era and that to this day people still try and defend or give those 2 lead footed under achievers props and acclaim blows my mind. Weddle the player/coach and teacher sure but the aged defender no.
    I'll defend them.

Mosley was a very good ILB who would occassionally get beat in coverage. He was above average for a big Mike LB in the passing game overall - he could hold his own, block passing lanes and occassionally make plays on the ball. The only ILBs at that time who were better were a few smaller, faster guys who couldn't compare to CJ against the run and the big stars like Keuchly and Wagner.

I think the main problem with CJ against the pass was the way Pees used him. He left him out there on 3rd down and played a passive defense with minimal pass rush and asked him to hold up in one on one coverage for far too long. Most ILBs would give up a few first downs in those circumstances.

Weddle was a very good safety who would occassionally get beaten by speed. He didn't just bring leadership. He used his intelligence to get into good positions to cut off lanes, make plays on the ball and to minimise his speed disadvantages. He was slowing down but to say he wasn't good in 16 (He was PFF's top safety) and 17 and still useful in 18 is crazy.

Every player gets beat in coverage from time to time but to let that stick in your mind to the exclusion of all the good things that two consistently good, pro bowl type players did makes no sense. I wonder why our defenses were so good with those two lead footed under achievers leading it?

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    Weddle was a very good safety who would occassionally get beaten by speed. He didn't just bring leadership. He used his intelligence to get into good positions to cut off lanes, make plays on the ball and to minimize his speed disadvantages. He was slowing down but to say he wasn't good in 16 (He was PFF's top safety) and 17 and still useful in 18 is crazy.

After all the turmoil at safety after Reed departed in 2013, Weddle was exactly who we needed in terms of football IQ at that position.

Stat-wise 151 solo tackles, 3 sacks, 3 forced fumbles and 10 INTs in three seasons ain't too shabby.
    Last edited by moviemaniacx; 05-27-2020 at 11:45 AM. Reason: FF
    "Put your goggles on, 'cause there's gonna be blood and guts everywhere!" - SSSr

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    What about say... Chuck Clark plus a first.
    I’d rather wait until next offseason, Dutch Earl and add him to a lark but... cant see the future and if we can get him now we should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wouldn't be interested in trading Chuck Clark.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    I wouldn't be interested in trading Chuck Clark.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Ideally, I wouldn't either, but they basically have the same roles and while Clark is a fine player, he's not keeping me from trading for Adams unless the other compensation is too high.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Ideally, I wouldn't either, but they basically have the same roles and while Clark is a fine player, he's not keeping me from trading for Adams unless the other compensation is too high.
    That's actually a sensible idea in regards to maintaining roster and salary structure. However, it will not work right now. If the Ravens trade Clark they lose cap space - about $6.6 mil of it - because it's the first year of his new deal and all that prorated bonus would stack up.

They really can't trade from the secondary. They're cap committed to Clark, Earl Thomas, Marcus Peters and Marlon Humphrey (as soon as they work out his deal). It's just really bad timing right now to go after Jamal Adams.

Next off season they can definitely target him.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    That's actually a sensible idea in regards to maintaining roster and salary structure. However, it will not work right now. If the Ravens trade Clark they lose cap space - about $6.6 mil of it - because it's the first year of his new deal and all that prorated bonus would stack up.

They really can't trade from the secondary. They're cap committed to Clark, Earl Thomas, Marcus Peters and Marlon Humphrey (as soon as they work out his deal). It's just really bad timing right now to go after Jamal Adams.

Next off season they can definitely target him.
    Agreeing with above that I dont WANT to trade Chuck Clark but if we are getting Adams I woildnt let that stop my deal.
    I used to think the cap was rigid for trades similarly to cuts but lately the NFL has done some weird cap gymnastics on trades. The fact that his extensions hasn’t started and is entirely reasonable makes me think some of that magic could exist in this deal, the only reason I proposed it is as a “how far would you go”. Angle.

Ok... take the “how far would you go” to the extreme:

Marlon Humphrey for Jamal Adams, straight up? Who says no?

I’m not sure... that’s tough!!!!

8. Re: Jamal Adams

No way.

No. Humphrey's way too important to this defense.
    Let's win the f**king game.
    Joe Flacco

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    No. Humphrey's way too important to this defense.
    What if they throw in a third?
    What about Hump and Clark for Adams and a first?

Pretty sure I’m out on Trading Hump for just about anyone/anything but I’m just bored and trying to find the line at this point...

In a vacuum I may take Adams over Humphrey, but not for the Ravens, who again have Earl Thomas and Chuck Clark, one of the better safety tandems in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    In a vacuum I may take Adams over Humphrey, but not for the Ravens, who again have Earl Thomas and Chuck Clark, one of the better safety tandems in the NFL.
    Even without Hump we’d have Marcus Peters, Jimmy Smith and Tavon Young. Our secondary is ridiculous no matter what we do.