Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Do you like the Superbowl or Bust expectations, or the Ravens being slept on and doubted

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    darb, it's amazing that with a Lisfranc injury, and two screws in his foot, he still caught 46 passes (12.7 YPC) and 7 TDs. If he is quicker, which seems logical with his foot healed, the league had better watch out... Bc
    Marquise Brown --> a better DeSean Jackson
    Miles Boykin --> a faster Courtland Sutton
    Devin Duvernay --> a faster Golden Tate

This is the dream scenario

Re: Do you like the Superbowl or Bust expectations, or the Ravens being slept on and doubted

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Marquise Brown --> a better DeSean Jackson
    Miles Boykin --> a faster Courtland Sutton
    Devin Duvernay --> a faster Golden Tate

This is the dream scenario
    Dream scenario, expanded:

Mark Andrews --> about 85% of Travis Kelce
    JK Dobbins --> a faster, more powerful Ray Rice

I think this Lamar8 era will be different than the previous two. We'll be favorites likely every year instead of just being looked at as a "darkhorse" or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by G54377 View Post
    I think this Lamar8 era will be different than the previous two. We'll be favorites likely every year instead of just being looked at as a "darkhorse" or whatever.
    As long as they stay healthy it'll be Ravens-Chiefs favored in the AFC for the next few years in a row. Does any other team look like they'll get to that level with their young players?

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post

Opening up training camps is a very good sign.
    Happening in ny

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by G54377 View Post
    It will be interesting to see how defenses adjust. Play dime and we run the heavy package at em...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

It took 5 years for the Ray Lewis/Jon Ogden Ravens to win the Super Bowl.
    It took 5 years for the Harbaugh/Flacco Ravens to win our 2nd.
    While I fully believe we have the roster to win another, let's temper that with all that can go wrong after a team makes the playoffs. "IF" the current LJ8-led Ravens win one in their 5th year too, I wouldn't be disappointed... Bc
    The difference is the AFC was a different beast in that time. Flacco and Mahomes last year, are the only 2 QBs not named Brady, Manning or Jen to represent the AFC in the Superbowl over the last 20 years. That domination is gone. Jen is done until he proves otherwise. Brady is in a different conference and Manning is long gone. In fact, the Ravens have one of the top 2 or 3 QBs in the AFC right now. There is chance is as good as its ever been.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    The difference is the AFC was a different beast in that time. Flacco and Mahomes last year, are the only 2 QBs not named Brady, Manning or Jen to represent the AFC in the Superbowl over the last 20 years. That domination is gone. Jen is done until he proves otherwise. Brady is in a different conference and Manning is long gone. In fact, the Ravens have one of the top 2 or 3 QBs in the AFC right now. There is chance is as good as its ever been.
    Your 16 projected starting QBs in the AFC:

AFC East
    - Josh Allen
    - Sam Darnold
    - Ryan Fitzpatrick
    - Jarrett Stidham

AFC North
    - Joe Burrow
    - Lamar Jackson
    - Baker Mayfield
    - Ben Roethlisberger

AFC South
    - Gardner Minshew
    - Philip Rivers
    - Ryan Tannehill
    - DeShaun Watson

AFC West
    - Derek Carr
    - Drew Lock
    - Patrick Mahomes
    - Tyrod Taylor

That's the whole field. Im'ma start a new thread on it

darb, it's amazing that with a Lisfranc injury, and two screws in his foot, he still caught 46 passes (12.7 YPC) and 7 TDs. If he is quicker, which seems logical with his foot healed, the league had better watch out... Bc
    And the truly scary thing about this off-season is how much better Lamar is going to be at running the passing game.

Lamar was outstanding last year, obviously, but I don't think the whole offense was opened up. Most casual observers are going to look at the stats and think Lamar just pulled the ball and scrambled if his first read wasn't open or we used a lot of bootlegs/draws. That isn't true. Our running game is very complicated for the QB. A running game with Brady involves him handing it to the left or right. In our offense, after the snap Lamar has at least two different reads before the ball gets to whomever is supposed to have it. RB's, offensive linemen, and the QB are all going to have to work hard at making it all come together. It's really impressive that Lamar is making the right reads a majority of the time against NFL caliber athleticism.

Lamar is a young QB, so the Ravens decided to lean more heavily on the run game. Typical decision in the NFL. So this year the the team already understands the running game. That means they'll be focusing more on implementing the passing game. The moves this past off-season make me think I'm right. Trading Hurst to the Falcons and not signing another TE in free agency shows that we're going to rely more on receivers in the passing game. Boykin being a good blocker helps smooth the transition a bit. It's also why I was so set on drafting Claypool.

Given his accuracy deep and on the sideline, Lamar can beat coverage on all levels of the field. What makes him such a threat with the triple-option against NFL defenses is, I think, what makes him such a dangerous passer. He doesn't make stupid mistakes with the ball because his reaction time is simply incredible. Scanning the field for four seconds as opposed to deciding to give or keep against a crashing linebacker probably seems like a walk in the park. Giving him weapons like a perfectly healthy Hollywood, the towering and powerful Boykin, the psychotic slot who can't be caught Duvernay, and the sure-handed Andrews seems a bit of overkill. If Lamar decides to go for it this year, he could very well break passing records. He might get most TDs in a game for fun.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    ... the psychotic slot who can't be caught Duvernay...
    Love this description.

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    ... seems a bit of overkill. If Lamar decides to go for it this year, he could very well break passing records. He might get most TDs in a game for fun.
    I see that potential also.

Fully expect some records to start falling when Lamar is a little more experienced, say around 25 yrs old or so. This year I think he's going to be ruthlessly focused in wins. Which is also fine.

The biggest thing that worries me come playoff is John Harbaugh. Playoff is a whole different animal and that's 2 playoffs in a row his team came in cold and unprepared. That and the lack of in-game adjustments when things aren't going their way is my only gripe with harbs.

Blog Entries

As a fan, I'm never Super-Bowl-or-Bust. All I ask for is a team that's in the hunt down to the wire most years, and wins playoff games more seasons than not. Winning a championship is a wonderful bonus.

We've had that in Baltimore since '00. I suppose you could say since '99, when Billick's team set the franchise season win record with eight wins, but I don't recall looking at them as having a shot at the playoffs.

Coming off a 14-2 season (best in franchise history), expectations are and should be high. I won't say they have to win a playoff game, but failing to do so will taint whatever happens in the regular season. On the flip side, if they stumble during the year, get into the dance with a Wild Card spot, and win at least one game it'll seem like a better season than going 13-3 or even 14-2 again yet failing to win a playoff game.