Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Do you like the Superbowl or Bust expectations, or the Ravens being slept on and doubted

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    I've been on good and terrible teams. In college everybody picked us to win a national championship two years in a row (we did).
    Whoa was that Nebraska '94-'95?

Re: Do you like the Superbowl or Bust expectations, or the Ravens being slept on and doubted

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Whoa was that Nebraska '94-'95?
    No, University of North Alabama '95 & '96. Any DI offers went away with that ligament in my left knee.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    Hollywood looks quicker than he did last year.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

No, University of North Alabama '95 & '96. Any DI offers went away with that ligament in my left knee.
    That's still a tremendous accomplishment Darb! Being lucky regarding injuries is almost up there with talent making it all the way

Having two screws removed from his foot certainly helps, the fact that he was still burning DBs while being limited is incredible.

He doesn’t have those screws

Blog Entries

darb, it's amazing that with a Lisfranc injury, and two screws in his foot, he still caught 46 passes (12.7 YPC) and 7 TDs. If he is quicker, which seems logical with his foot healed, the league had better watch out... Bc

The super bowl or bust narrative is definitely warranted and doesn't scare me. In years past it would have but this team was the best team in the league last year and they knew it. They'll more than likely be the best team in the league this year and the memory and feeling of losing as the better team will motivate them no doubt. They have a hunger only a super bowl sate.

And Hollywood's size impresses me more than his speed...he looks built to last so much more than last year

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BearArms View Post
    I personally hate all the talk of "If the Ravens doing don't get to or win a Superbowl, the season will be a failure."

This to me, is a seriously faulty approach in a sport of one and done. We saw this vs. Tennessee. It's fun for the off-season , but being on top puts the target on your back

However

I've watched New England for years overcome this mantra and win over and over. Yeah they play in a division that has been cake for years also, but they showed up in big games.

Last season the target was on The Chiefs, and they rose to the occasion.

To me it's still more fun to shock the shit out of the doubters beating supposedly better teams and sending them home.
    Quote Originally Posted by BearArms View Post
    Yes.

Every team must strive to be the best they can. Every coach, every player. Strive to be the best and win! Nothing else would matter to me. Anything else would be inconsequential to me. The expectations or whatever are constructs that exist outside of the team. The team needs to have 1 goal: be the absolute best they can be.

Winning the SB is the ultimate goal, that is the measure of performance. If everyone on this Ravens team maximizes their ability then naturally this team should have the Super Bowl as the by-product of their effort. The Superbowl will be the measure of whether this team plays the very best they can play. The numbers more then support this view. Scored the most points in the league, set the NFL rushing record, set the QB rushing record, league MVP at QB, perennial top 5 defense.

If this Ravens team plays the best football they can, from the last player on the practice squad to Harbaugh and DeCosta, then the SB should be how they measure whether or not they achieved their goal of being the best they possibly can.

They should go out there with the aim to play their best. As a coach my question for the team is how good can you be if you give everything you have?

Now more directly related to your question and OP:
    I like both narratives and could see how the narratives could be used together as motivation.

The internal expectations should be to surpass last year's level of play to a man.
    And the fact of the matter is that many football media doubt they can. Some media members are already predicting the offense will regress. Many claim the same defenses that the Ravens played along the way to having the best offense is the NFL are going to "figure" out the "gimmick" offense. Lamar is going to regress because his passing was all smoke and mirrors. And he is always just 1 hit away from oblivion. Many people that never liked Lamar in the first place are waiting for any crack (however thin) in the armor of his success to claim they were right all along. Even though the internal expectations are to play the best football they can and rightfully that should include winning the SB they are still doubted because people don't give them the respect their level of performance warrants. They are under dogs because they are expected to regress. And the only way to quiet the doubters is to win the SB.
    Last edited by edromeo; 05-24-2020 at 01:03 PM.

Blog Entries

I'd be happy with some sign that there will be a season this year...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I'd be happy with some sign that there will be a season this year...

Opening up training camps is a very good sign.