Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Do you like the Superbowl or Bust expectations, or the Ravens being slept on and doubted

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    I loved winning 9-10 games and going on playoff runs...
    I loved going on the playoff runs. I did NOT love winning 9-10 games. I'd rather win 14.

Yeah, "just make it to the dance," I'm on board with that. And there is nothing more satisfying than watching that Mile High Miracle game. I remember right before the Miracle being okay with defeat and being glad we made a game out of it after they had spanked us at our place a few weeks earlier. That was great. But I don't want to need a "miracle."

Sometimes the miracle doesn't happen. The pain of getting beat by the freaking Bengals on 4th down in the cold I could *definitely* live without. It would have been nice to have gone into that game with the playoffs locked up, resting our starters.

I loved the underdog role, but honestly, I'd like to try being New England for awhile (minus the cheating of course.) Locking up the bye by mid-December, and having the rest of the NFL afraid to come to our house for the playoffs. I'd like to host an AFCC. I'm not afraid of being on top. Let's get there and see how long we can stay there.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Re: Do you like the Superbowl or Bust expectations, or the Ravens being slept on and doubted

For me, it's not necessarily SB or bust, but it's extremely, extremely important to me that we win at least one damn playoff game.

Not reaching the SB would be a disappointment to me no matter the regular season record, but I can't take getting run off the field in our first playoff game again (well I can of course because I can't control what happens, but you know what I mean).

The team needs to be mentally tougher when the stakes are their highest.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    For me, it's not necessarily SB or bust, but it's extremely, extremely important to me that we win at least one damn playoff game.

Not reaching the SB would be a disappointment to me no matter the regular season record, but I can't take getting run off the field in our first playoff game again (well I can of course because I can't control what happens, but you know what I mean).

The team needs to be mentally tougher when the stakes are their highest.
    Agreed. The Ravens need to get to the AFC Championship game next year. The organization needs to win a playoff game with Lamar as the QB. One and done again in the playoffs is going to cause dysfunction within the franchise.

This team is going to be good for a long time and Lamar deserves the confidence that winning his first playoff game will give him.

There's only one team in the AFC that I'll be sort-of okay if a healthy Ravens team loses in the playoffs to, and that's Kansas City. Any other ending to the season is a disappointment compared to expectations.

Even with a loss to the Chiefs, that loss will sting a bit. A lot if it comes down to the wire.

Not saying it won't happen... but if the Browns, Steelers, Chargers, Titans, Colts, Bills or whoever ends the Ravens season it will be a gut punch. And the "can't win the big game" monkey will be firmly attached to the back until ripped off.

Playoffs or bust... Every playoff game is win or go home, they are judged individually

"Now they can swagger themselves back to Baltimore." --- Hines Ward, January 2002, after the Steelers defeat the Ravens in the divisional round.

The 2001 team is the only one that I remember that thought themselves as frontrunners. Every other year the team has played the "we don't get respect" card.

The problem I've had with that attitude is that it feathers the bed of failure. Low expectations make for a softer landing. An attitude of "All things considered, that was good enough" is too easy.

Don't beat a team, or an expectation. Set a standard. Force teams to raise their game, force new teammates to live up to an ideal.

I'm not going to beat up the team if they don't win a Supebowl. Stuff happens, after all. But I'll be disappointed if they play the underdog/respect card. Aim higher than pride.

Quote Originally Posted by BearArms View Post
    To me it's still more fun to shock the shit out of the doubters beating supposedly better teams and sending them home.
    I kinda feel that it's premature to judge whether it's "more fun" one way or the other, because we've never been this good before. I have no idea what it feels like to come into a season as the defending #1 seed, and having gotten better.

I suspect I might like it a whole lot.

If you don't win the Superbowl, the season is a failure. It can be a good season. It can be a fun season. It cannot be a successful season.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    If you don't win the Superbowl, the season is a failure. It can be a good season. It can be a fun season. It cannot be a successful season.
    Disagree.

Consider the Bengals. They will not win the SB this coming season. Period. They can still have a "successful" season, if they get Joe Burrow off to a good start and take other steps to establish their next contender. A "SB or fail" mindset would inevitably lead to a lot of bad decision-making for them, and for teams in like situations.

I do agree that the SB is the correct metric for teams like the Ravens, Chiefs, Saints, Niners, and some others.

I would further agree that, if the Bengals don't build to the SB in the next ~5 years, then it would be appropriate to look at the whole block as a "failed rebuild" or something. But that doesn't mean the SB is an appropriate yardstick for them in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Disagree.

Consider the Bengals. They will not win the SB this coming season. Period. They can still have a "successful" season, if they get Joe Burrow off to a good start and take other steps to establish their next contender. A "SB or fail" mindset would inevitably lead to a lot of bad decision-making for them, and for teams in like situations.

I do agree that the SB is the correct metric for teams like the Ravens, Chiefs, Saints, Niners, and some others.

I would further agree that, if the Bengals don't build to the SB in the next ~5 years, then it would be appropriate to look at the whole block as a "failed rebuild" or something. But that doesn't mean the SB is an appropriate yardstick for them in 2020.
    That would make it a good season for the Bengals. And you're right that players can have personal success and team improvement is a solid measurement of that. But, the success of a team is measured in wins.

I've been on good and terrible teams. In college everybody picked us to win a national championship two years in a row (we did). In high school everybody picked us to maybe make the playoffs if every team we faced came down with explosive diarrhea just before kickoff (they didn't, we didn't). Regardless of expectations the goal of both teams was to win a championship.

Of course there's also the possibility that I'm a little too competitive. I view the 16-0 Patriots to be as successful as the 0-16 Lions.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post

Of course there's also the possibility that I'm a little too competitive. I view the 16-0 Patriots to be as successful as the 0-16 Lions.
    If you describe both as failures it seems to make the word meaningless if you're using it to cover everything from unlucky on the day to complete disaster.

I assume you look at degrees of failure - the 0-16 Lions would need to change the GM and coach and rebuild the roster whereas the 16-0 Patriots would be stupid to blow everything up when they were undoubtedly the best team that year. I don't think the result of a one off game changes that.

If I bought a lottery ticket that won me a nice cash prize but not the jackpot, would that be a losing ticket? A failure? A waste of time?

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    If you describe both as failures it seems to make the word meaningless if you're using it to cover everything from unlucky on the day to complete disaster.

I assume you look at degrees of failure - the 0-16 Lions would need to change the GM and coach and rebuild the roster whereas the 16-0 Patriots would be stupid to blow everything up when they were undoubtedly the best team that year. I don't think the result of a one off game changes that.

If I bought a lottery ticket that won me a nice cash prize but not the jackpot, would that be a losing ticket? A failure? A waste of time?
    By the same token, if you measure a team as successful by either wins or some nebulous improvement then it's likewise rendered meaningless. I measure success by winning the championship. Ergo, the Patriots were just as successful as the 30 other teams that season that didn't win the Super Bowl. If you bought a lottery ticket and got all the numbers right but one, you still didn't win.

Of course there are various degrees of failure. The Patriots aren't nearly as bad as the Lions so naturally they won't have to start over from scratch. They still failed to reach their goal which was to win the Super Bowl
    ProFootballMock