Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Exercise bike or Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    Ok. Here is my cheap perspective

A little background. I grew up in the 80’s. Used to race BMX bikes (was nationally ranked, but it wasn’t very popular). Transitioned into mountain biking and started racing them. Eventually ended up just recreational biking at Loch raven and patapsco. Then I had a bad wreck. (Showing off, trying to go down a hill that wasn’t on the trail). Ended up flipping several times, tore up my knee, rotator cuff, broke my forearm. After that, the old cannondale Hung on the rack for 10 years.
    I also had an excercise rack for the bike (allowed me to ride it in the house)

After the wreck, I struggled to run. For the last 15 years I haven’t found a workout routine I could stick to.
    I Recently got an elliptical. I now use it everyday and walk a two mile loop in the neighborhood. Since the beginning of lockdown (mid March) I have dropped from 170 to 161.
    I pulled the bike out last week and went for a ride behind the local school trails.

For me, the elliptical burns more calories. Unless you can find a big hill to climb, biking is half workout, half coasting.

The excercise rack was a good workout, but boring.
    Peloton has a free 90 trail for the app. It’s nice to have people motivating you while you workout. But after the 90days, you have to pay $12/mo

I also got an Apple Watch. I used to laugh at people with them. But the excercise circles are motivating. I have closed my rings every single day since I got it a month ago.

I read the story about yanda. He said he cut calories and walks a few miles a day. You don’t need a $3500 peloton bike to get in shape.

But hey, what ever motivates you to get off the couch, is probably worth the money you save in health care cost.
    This has been what I've done since the shutdown. Great stuff.

https://ddpyoga.com/

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post

I just ordered a Baron Baptiste yoga DVD that we lost on Ebay years back and will be starting that soon as it comes. Yoga is great for everyone but especially for older folks. Builds functional strength, core strength and flexibility.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    I just ordered a Baron Baptiste yoga DVD that we lost on Ebay years back and will be starting that soon as it comes. Yoga is great for everyone but especially for older folks. Builds functional strength, core strength and flexibility.
    Yeah, this stuff is great cause he adds in other exercises while doing yoga poses and stretches etc.

I herniated a disc in my back at 23 and for the past about 17 years, all my exercises have been around avoiding that area. I've be come so inflexible as a result, but this stuff has definitely helped in just the past 4-5 months.

Check out air bikes. Main brands are airdyne and assault I think. Rogue also makes the echo bike. Since they run off air resistance, the workout is as hard as you want to make it. You can also find them on Craigslist sometimes.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Oh and for the topic at hand, always concerned bikes might lead to hemis…

Ok. Here is my cheap perspective

A little background. I grew up in the 80’s. Used to race BMX bikes (was nationally ranked, but it wasn’t very popular). Transitioned into mountain biking and started racing them. Eventually ended up just recreational biking at Loch raven and patapsco. Then I had a bad wreck. (Showing off, trying to go down a hill that wasn’t on the trail). Ended up flipping several times, tore up my knee, rotator cuff, broke my forearm. After that, the old cannondale Hung on the rack for 10 years.
    I also had an excercise rack for the bike (allowed me to ride it in the house)

After the wreck, I struggled to run. For the last 15 years I haven’t found a workout routine I could stick to.
    I Recently got an elliptical. I now use it everyday and walk a two mile loop in the neighborhood. Since the beginning of lockdown (mid March) I have dropped from 170 to 161.
    I pulled the bike out last week and went for a ride behind the local school trails.

For me, the elliptical burns more calories. Unless you can find a big hill to climb, biking is half workout, half coasting.

The excercise rack was a good workout, but boring.
    Peloton has a free 90 trail for the app. It’s nice to have people motivating you while you workout. But after the 90days, you have to pay $12/mo

I also got an Apple Watch. I used to laugh at people with them. But the excercise circles are motivating. I have closed my rings every single day since I got it a month ago.

I read the story about yanda. He said he cut calories and walks a few miles a day. You don’t need a $3500 peloton bike to get in shape.

But hey, what ever motivates you to get off the couch, is probably worth the money you save in health care cost.
    Btw, I also hurt myself going down a hill about 25 years ago, more like a huge mound of construction dirt. It was unpacked and my front tire dug in and turned and I went right over the handlebars and landed on my shoulder. I was getting cocky and thought I could do anything and that's when it happened. It happened fast. I'm lucky I didn't break anything but it scared me into not getting overconfident.

Dad has some sort of road bike, spent big bucks on it, you can set it up as a stationary one as well.

I cant sit on it for more than 30 minutes, the seat is so uncomfortable.

Blog Entries

If you are looking for a good deal on a stationary or road bike, you may want to check out Facebook Marketplace or Craig's list. Very good deals can be had there. I bought a new Fuji hybrid bike with a larger frame about 4 years ago for around $300. I'm 6 foot 2 inches and fits me well. I've been riding more this year than ever. It helps in recovering from my knee replacement. Would not mind picking up a stationary recumbent bike one of these days.

Maybe it’s just me. But if you are going to do yoga

https://youtu.be/3_Q-yYfjeBM

This is the chick my wife follows online. So of course, I have to join sometimes.

Oh and for the topic at hand, always concerned bikes might lead to hemis…
    What are hemis?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cjandrze View Post
    What are hemis?
    hemorrhoids

Blog Entries

Maybe it’s just me. But if you are going to do yoga

https://youtu.be/3_Q-yYfjeBM

This is the chick my wife follows online. So of course, I have to join sometimes.