Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: NFL HC hiring and minority candidates

I wanted to also add a column about the coach's "area of expertise"....ie, are they an offensive coach or defensive coach? Going further - are they a QB guy...are they a LB or DB guy? Race aside, as I said in the other thread about this topic, I think the NFL has a "QB" problem more than anything.

List:

Year Coach AA Off/Def Position
    2020 Joe Judge ST's ?
    2020 Mike McCarthy Off QB
    2020 Matt Rhule Off ?
    2020 Ron Rivera Def LB
    2020 Kevin Stefanski Off QB
    2019 Bruce Arians Off QB
    2019 Adam Gase Off QB
    2019 Brian Flores * Def LB
    2019 Matt LaFleur Off QB
    2019 Vic Fangio Def LB/DL
    2019 Freddie Kitchens Off QB
    2019 Zac Taylor Off QB
    2019 Kliff Kingsbury Off QB
    2018 Steve Wilks * Def DB
    2018 Jon Gruden Off QB
    2018 Mike Vrabel Def LB/DL
    2018 Matt Patricia Def LB/DL
    2018 Frank Reich Off QB
    2018 Matt Nagy Off QB 2018 Pat Shurmur Off QB
    2017 Vance Joseph * Def DB
    2017 Doug Marrone Off OL
    2017 Sean McDermott Def LB
    2017 Anthony Lynn * Def DB
    2017 Sean McVay Off QB
    2017 Kyle Shanahan Off QB/RB
    2016 Adam Gase Off QB
    2016 Chip Kelly Off QB
    2016 Dirk Koetter Off QB
    2016 Ben Mcadoo Off QB
    2016 Doug Pederson Off QB
    2016 Mike Mularky Off OL/TE
    2016 Hue Jackson * Off QB
    2015 Dan Quinn Def DL
    2015 Rex Ryan Def DL/LB
    2015 Jack Del Rio Def LB
    2015 John Fox Def LB/DL
    2015 Todd Bowles * Def LB
    2015 Gary Kubiak Off QB
    2015 Jim Tomsula Def DL
    2014 Mike Pettine Def DL/LB
    2014 Bill O’Brien Off QB
    2014 Ken Whisenhunt Off QB
    2014 Jay Gruden Off QB
    2014 Jim Caldwell * Off QB
    2014 Mike Zimmer Def DL
    2014 Lovie Smith * Def DB
    2013 Andy Reid Off QB
    2013 Chip Kelly Off QB
    2013 Marc Trestman Off QB
    2013 Gus Bradley
    2013 Mike McCoy Off QB
    2013 Doug Marrone Off OL
    2013 Rob Chudzinski Off QB
    2013 Bruce Arians Off QB
    2012 Romeo Crennel *
    2012 Mike Mularky Off OL
    2012 Jeff Fisher
    2012 Joe Philbin Off QB
    2012 Dennis Allen
    2012 Chuck Pagano
    2012 Greg Schiano
    2011 Pat Shurmur Off QB
    2011 Hue Jackson * Off QB
    2011 Jim Harbaugh Off QB
    2011 Mike Munchak Off OL
    2011 Ron Rivera
    2011 John Fox
    2011 Leslie Frazier *
    2010 Pete Carroll
    2010 Chan Gailey Off QB
    2010 Jason Garrett Off QB
    2010 Mike Shanahan Off QB
    2009 Josh McDaniel Off QB
    2009 Jim Caldwell * Off QB
    2009 Todd Haley Off QB
    2009 Jim Schwartz
    2009 Rex Ryan
    2009 Steve Spanuolo Def DL
    2009 Raheem Morris *
    2008 Tony Sparano Off OL
    2008 Tom Cable Off OL
    2008 Jim Zorn Off QB
    2008 Mike Smith
    2008 John Harbuagh ST's DB-?

Anyway....I didn't go as far back as Jim did, but I went back far enough to show the data that I've observed. As the NFL has evolved into more of a passing offense with leniency towards offenses and the QB, in particular, and as college offenses have evolved into more dual-threat QB-driven offenses, NFL organizations have followed suit in who they go after to run their teams. The QB is the most important position on the team...it's also the most expensive. So, you better damn well sure get the guy that is going to get the most out of that position.

I think Kliff Kingsbury is a perfect example of this. He's young, he's smart, he's a former QB that was highly successful in a spread out college offense, and he coached some other pretty successful college QB's - Johnny Manzeil (while a failed NFL guy, was a Heisman winner at Texas A&M), Case Keenum, Baker Mayfield, Davis Webb, and Patrick Mahomes. The Cardinals had the #1 overall pick. They knew they were taking Kyler Murray. They wanted a coach that could translate Murray's skillset into the NFL and Kingsbury was their guy they felt could do that.

41 out of 75 HC vacancies were filled by Offensive/QB coaches since 2008. Since 2015, 23 offensive coaches filled HC vacancies.
    Last edited by wickedsolo; 05-18-2020 at 09:36 AM.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by InigoMontoya View Post
    Aren't the overwhelming majority of NFL head coaches former (college or NFL) players? Aren't most college or NFL players African American?

It makes the most sense to me that in a fair world, if former players are hired as NFL coaches, that the percentage of NFL coaches that are minorities should come pretty close to the percentage of minorities that are players.
    There are only 32 NFL HC jobs.

There are, on average, 13,000 football players in college just in the D1 FBS rank. That isn't including D1-AA, D2, D3, etc.

In any given year in the NFL, there are approximately 2,000 players in the league signed to a team...this isn't including unsigned free agents.

Your comment also assumes that everyone that played in college or in the NFL wants to coach.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    If this were the case, than the Black Candidate’s that don’t get their shot have been superior for a few years and when their wait is over, they take the league by storm.

But that’s not happening either. So you are saying the best candidates rot for eternity? Because without a mountain of statistical evidence to back it up, I wiuld presume that Black HC’s hover around .500 win percentage as a whole just like the white coaches.

Even a .550 win percentage paints a clear picture, .520 is likely statistically significant.

It’s more work than I want to do, but. The entire conglomerate coaching record is exactly .500. It would take someone to add up the wins from every coach on the list and adding up the losses and comparing those numbers. It’s likely a lot of work to find out they tend toward the mean with enough data, but...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That statistical analysis has a few holes in it though. While the overall record is .500, it is skewed heavily towards veteran coaches. Bill Belichick is 150 games over .500. Hue Jackson is 33 games under .500. So it takes almost 5 Hue Jacksons (or 38 Freddie Kitchens) to cancel out one Bill Belichick.

Startup coaches are at a disadvantage. They are usually going to a bad team, and they often are not given much rope in terms of turning things around.

So apples-to-apples, you'd have to look at JUST start-up coaches, and the improvement of the team record. (A coach who turns a 9-win team into a 10-win team is not as impressive as a coach who turns a 1-win team into a 7-win team, no?) You'd also have to look at the amount of rope a coach gets based on their performance. Some could argue that if Belichick was black, he would have never gotten another chance to coach after his under-.500 stint with the Browns.

I agree with you though on this point: if more skilled coaches are being passed over based on skin color, we should be able to uncover that fact with a proper statistical analysis.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    That statistical analysis has a few holes in it though. While the overall record is .500, it is skewed heavily towards veteran coaches. Bill Belichick is 150 games over .500. Hue Jackson is 33 games under .500. So it takes almost 5 Hue Jacksons (or 38 Freddie Kitchens) to cancel out one Bill Belichick.

Startup coaches are at a disadvantage. They are usually going to a bad team, and they often are not given much rope in terms of turning things around.

So apples-to-apples, you'd have to look at JUST start-up coaches, and the improvement of the team record. (A coach who turns a 9-win team into a 10-win team is not as impressive as a coach who turns a 1-win team into a 7-win team, no?) You'd also have to look at the amount of rope a coach gets based on their performance. Some could argue that if Belichick was black, he would have never gotten another chance to coach after his under-.500 stint with the Browns.

I agree with you though on this point: if more skilled coaches are being passed over based on skin color, we should be able to uncover that fact with a proper statistical analysis.
    I wasn’t going to do the work so thought it up as simple as possible, but I think you are correct in your deliberations. We could even use the same subset of coaches we are looking at for above.

The whole secret untapped cache of prime coach candidates just doesn’t make sense to me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    There are only 32 NFL HC jobs.

There are, on average, 13,000 football players in college just in the D1 FBS rank. That isn't including D1-AA, D2, D3, etc.

In any given year in the NFL, there are approximately 2,000 players in the league signed to a team...this isn't including unsigned free agents.

Your comment also assumes that everyone that played in college or in the NFL wants to coach.
    My comment doesn't assume that. You assumed that. It probably does assume that all races would want to coach at the same proportional rate. Do you have any data to prove otherwise? Why wouldn't African Americans want to be head coaches at the same rate as white players?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by InigoMontoya View Post
    My comment doesn't assume that. You assumed that. It probably does assume that all races would want to coach at the same proportional rate. Do you have any data to prove otherwise? Why wouldn't African Americans want to be head coaches at the same rate as white players?
    I dont know. Without polling every single player, you'd never be able to ascertain that kind of data to make an assessment.

What I'm saying is that just between D1/FBS and the NFL there are, on average, 15,000 players each year. Even if 1% of those players wanted to get into coaching, that's still 150 people for 32 NFL HC gigs...most of which are not openly available.

I don't think you can make a proportionality argument when it comes to NFL HC gigs and college players/NFL players.

What if only 2 out of every 10 black players aspired to get into coaching? Based on Jim's statistics above showing about 16% of HC hires in the last "X" number of years have been minority hires, well then that proportionality would make sense.

My point is, we simply just dont know what percentage of players actually want to get into coaching.

There are also lots of programs with most colleges for graduate assistant coaches to get their foot in the door. How many are taking advantage of that? I just think there are a lot of variables here and it's impossible to really know.

I mean, here is a great question that I dont think anyone knows the answer to - when an NFL HC gig becomes available, how many applicants are there? We always hear about a team wanting to interview someone...but what about the guys that are applying out of band...or that maybe you don't hear about?

If this were the case, than the Black Candidate’s that don’t get their shot have been superior for a few years and when their wait is over, they take the league by storm.

But that’s not happening either.
    Best, most thoughtful rejoinder to this line of inquiry. Bravo.

Most NFL coaches aren't particularly "successful". Damn few coaches ever win a SB. My original version of the table of coaches had a "good hire" column, which I printed as a separate table a couple posts later. I only tagged about a third of the coaches as "good hires". Not that my judgement is the be-all end-all of coach evaluation: but I'm probably not all that far off.

Most coaches are hired into situations where the team is bad. Otherwise they usually wouldn't have fired their coach. (Some coaches leave a job due to retirement, but not that often.) Most coaching hires are made by bad organizations. Right? The Ravens have hired three HCs in 25 years; the Steelers, three in 50. The Brownies might have three HCs in any given season.

Bad organizations with bad rosters don't make a good platform for taking the league by storm. Also, to do any kind of consistent winning, a coach will have to luck into a QB etc. Just because coaches are better than Adam Gase, doesn't mean they're going to take a lot of wins from Bill Belchick & Sean Payton.

...I wiuld presume that Black HC’s hover around .500 win percentage as a whole just like the white coaches.
    The entire conglomerate coaching record is exactly .500.
    Hot answered this already, but basically: while the aggregate coaches all amount to 0.500, the median coach is nowhere near 0.500.

Consider 2007: In games played by the Patriots that year, Bill Belichick was 16-0, and the other dozen or so opposing coaches were all oh-fer. Adds up to 0.500, but it's not split evenly. Bill James wrote decades ago, "failure is commonplace but not enduring". You get a very few coaches over 0.500, a few coaches around 0.500, and many MANY coaches below 0.500.

This page on PFR lists 500 coaches:
    (you have to uncheck the "Hide non-qualifiers for rate stats" box)

Sort by win%, the 250th coach on the list is at 0.417. That's Roch Kotite's winning pctg; Dennis Ericson's. Remember Dan Campbell, who served as interim coach for the Dolphins after Joe Philbin was fired in 2015? Tough guy? He finished 5-7 on the year: 0.417.
    Last edited by JimZipCode; 05-18-2020 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Best, most thoughtful rejoinder to this line of inquiry. Bravo.

Most NFL coaches aren't particularly "successful". Damn few coaches ever win a SB. My original version of the table of coaches had a "good hire" column, which I printed as a separate table a couple posts later. I only tagged about a third of the coaches as "good hires". Not that my judgement is the be-all end-all of coach evaluation: but I'm probably not all that far off.

Most coaches are hired into situations where the team is bad. Otherwise they usually wouldn't have fired their coach. (Some coaches leave a job due to retirement, but not that often.) Most coaching hires are made by bad organizations. Right? The Ravens have hired three HCs in 25 years; the Steelers, three in 50. The Brownies might have three HCs in any given season.

Bad organizations with bad rosters don't make a good platform for taking the league by storm. Also, to do any kind of consistent winning, a coach will have to luck into a QB etc. Just because coaches are better than Adam Gase, doesn't mean they're going to take a lot of wins from Bill Belchick & Sean Payton.

Hot answered this already, but basically: while the aggregate coaches all amount to 0.500, the median coach is nowhere near 0.500.

Consider 2007: In games played by the Patriots that year, Bill Belichick was 16-0, and the other dozen or so coaches were oh-fer. Bill James wrote decades ago, "failure is commonplace but not enduring". You get a very few coaches over 0.500, a few coaches around 0.500, and many MANY coaches below 0.500.

This page on PFR lists 500 coaches:
    (you have to uncheck the "Hide non-qualifiers for rate stats" box)

Sort by win%, the 250th coach on the list is at 0.417. That's Roch Kotite's winning pctg; Dennis Ericson's. Remember Dan Campbell, who served as interim coach for the Dolphins after Joe Philbin was fired in 2015? Tough guy? He finished 5-7 on the year: 0.417.
    That was a really easy way to make my point bollocks... and makes the math harder.

The whole secret untapped cache of prime coach candidates just doesn’t make sense to me at all.
    Does to me.

But I think organizations across all sports and all levels, tend to do a shitty job of hiring coaches. People don't think deeply about what coaching is, so they get diverted by shiny things. A coach who stood on the sideline while Peyton Manning threw 50 TD passes, gets five seasons and counting to prove that he can't do the job. It's silly.

Brian McCormick's rants about hiring decisions in college & juco & HS basketball, are educational.

I don't think you can make a proportionality argument when it comes to NFL HC gigs and college players/NFL players.
    My point is, we simply just dont know what percentage of players actually want to get into coaching.
    That's silly. You think white players disproportionately want to get into coaching? That is, say for example, 10% of all white players want to get into coaching, but only 1% of black players? 10x as many white ex-players want to coach, as black ex-players?

I don't think that hypothesis is even worth considering. The simplest assumption is that "similar" percentages of players across ethnic groups, have an interest in coaching. Maybe it's 9% in one population and 11% in another: whatever, close enough.

I don't see how it makes any sense to assume an order of magnitude greater interest in coaching from one ethnic group vs another. You'd need some compelling evidence.

I dont know. Without polling every single player, you'd never be able to ascertain that kind of data to make an assessment.

What I'm saying is that just between D1/FBS and the NFL there are, on average, 15,000 players each year. Even if 1% of those players wanted to get into coaching, that's still 150 people for 32 NFL HC gigs...most of which are not openly available.

What if only 2 out of every 10 black players aspired to get into coaching? Based on Jim's statistics above showing about 16% of HC hires in the last "X" number of years have been minority hires, well then that proportionality would make sense.

There are also lots of programs with most colleges for graduate assistant coaches to get their foot in the door. How many are taking advantage of that? I just think there are a lot of variables here and it's impossible to really know.

I mean, here is a great question that I dont think anyone knows the answer to - when an NFL HC gig becomes available, how many applicants are there? We always hear about a team wanting to interview someone...but what about the guys that are applying out of band...or that maybe you don't hear about?
    Here are things we do know:

- Black players just weren't allowed to be coaches until recently - in the NFL or college. We know the reason was racially motivated.

- Because of the Rooney Rule, since 2004, one minority candidate must interview for each head coaching vacancy. So, if there are an average of three head coaching interviews per vacancy, then 33% of those interviewing would be minorities. 4 vacancies would mean 25% are minority interviews. Sure, there could be some "hidden" interviewers for head coaching positions, but having that be a large percentage of interviewees ins't realistic, and sounds more like conspiracies than data.

- Black players become coaches in college and the NFL at a much higher rate than they do that become head coaches. They just mainly have lower rung jobs. They don't get the biggest jobs (College head coach, offensive coordinator in the NFL and head coach) to the same proportion as white coaches do.

Here's an article outlining how black coaches fair in the NFL head coaching hiring process. https://theundefeated.com/features/n...iring-process/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    That's silly. You think white players disproportionately want to get into coaching?
    I dont know. And neither do you.