Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ravens 2020 Backfield and Running Game

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Ingram makes for a fantastic passing down back so I do hope this is the final solution.
    On the field I agree, I think the single area where Ingram is by far the best on the team is in the passing game: pass protection (recognition+finish), receiving. I still think he's a good runner too....still has vision, still has desire/toughness/runs hard. But, foot to the fire judging ability for ability-- quickness, speed, moves (jump cut, dead leg etc.) acceleration are all areas that JK Dobbins has him beat (Hill also).

I hope we get to showcase Gus and Justice a lot in the preseason, would love to get something for either of them.
    I want to keep all of them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Gus at lest adds a little something different. I’m still really unsure Hill even earns a roster spot. I’m not sure what he brings to the table.
    I certainly hope that I am proven wrong, but the guy seemed very UN-special last year. He would have to show a LOT to get anywhere near the field.
    Hill played quite a bit down the stretch which imo speaks to the coaching staff's opinion of him. He's also a kick returner on special teams and he runs with burst and acceleration. I never considered that Hill would be at risk if the Ravens drafted a runner.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    I dunno. The thing is, I don't think we have anyone else who's good fit for the short yardage / power back role.
    Ingram.

I dunno. The thing is, I don't think we have anyone else who's good fit for the short yardage / power back role. Does Justice do anything that JK Dobbins doesn't? I see Gus still having a role, even if Dobbins eats into Justice's and Ingram's snaps.

NOT trying to say that we should cut Hill, or that we shouldn't keep four. Just that, I could see Gus still having a role, even if Hill were a better player. (Which Hill hasn't shown that he is.)
    Ingram has plenty of power. He’d be fine for short yardage situations especially with his overall workload surely decreasing

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Ingram.
    Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    Ingram has plenty of power. He’d be fine for short yardage situations especially with his overall workload surely decreasing
    Oh, yah?

I think of him as a "skill" back, rather than a "big" back. But ok, I'll defer.

Oh, yah?

I think it’s pretty reductive to try to put every RB in a singular box like that. Ingram can certainly be either/both of those things. We went primarily to Gus in short yardage situations because he’s good at it, and because we were probably trying to manage Ingram’s workload considering he was our lead back, not because Ingram can’t do it. He was used more as a power back in New Orleans when he was splitting reps with Kamara, and he was good at it. With Dobbins likely picking up more and more reps as the year goes on we’ll be able to use Ingram in any role we want.

Oh, yah?

Ingram is an everything back. Which is precisely what i like best about him.
    Gus can only be the hammer, so using him as such saved those carries from Ingram.
    The fact that Ingram is the only back that can pass black at all means I want him on THOSE snaps first. The fact that he can also be the hammer means that Gus could be a healthy scratch on some days.
    It also means that Justice hill should figure out how to catch and pass block in a hurry if he wants to retain a long term career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it’s pretty reductive to try to put every RB in a singular box like that.
    Sure. Esp a player as overall talented as Ingram: Heisman winner, etc. It's just when I imagine "roles" for a committee arrangement, it's easier to picture if I pigeonhole the individual players. But I do understand that it's an oversimplification. Eg, Dobbins is not without power, Gus is not without skill (caught 100% of his targets last season), etc.

With Dobbins likely picking up more and more reps as the year goes on we’ll be able to use Ingram in any role we want.
    Makes sense.

Sure. Esp a player as overall talented as Ingram: Heisman winner, etc. It's just when I imagine "roles" for a committee arrangement, it's easier to picture if I pigeonhole the individual players. But I do understand that it's an oversimplification. Eg, Dobbins is not without power, Gus is not without skill (caught 100% of his targets last season), etc.

Makes sense.
    It’s really a testament to Ingram’s talent/well-rounded skillset. Iirc last year some posters had a concern that he was just a power back because of how he was used on the Saints. Now this year you weren’t the only one wondering if he was primarily a skill back who didn’t have enough power to be a hammer.

Dude is a chameleon. Whatever a team asks of him he’ll do it, and do it well.

I really hate that this is probably his last year here. Aging/injuries fucking suck. I want to have this dude on the team forever.

Great thread.

My dream scenario would be Vikings in Peterson’s rookie year.

I’ll get to that in a moment.

First I want to discuss hill. He just doesn’t have it. He has no vision at all as an RB. He gets the ball and just takes off without finding holes, having any patience, or any kind of read on the defense.

Hill is just fast. But lacks real skill at the position.

Ideal situation is at beginning of season Ingram is the #1 back and Dobbins is number 2. But like the Vikings when they had Chester Taylor(who was really good at the time).

Had to start giving many of his carriers to AP just because everytime AP touched the ball explosive plays seem to happen.

I’m not saying dobbins will be on AP level, but I think by mid season he will be undeniably the best back on the team and Will start to get the bulk of the carriers

Ingram is the starter. He will get the bulk of goal line carries, and third down carries.
    Dobbins will split carries pretty evenly as the number 2 back. He will get the bulk of the carries on 1st and 2nd down between the 20's.
    Hill will be third string. He will get a few mop up carries at the end of games, similar to last season.

Gus will be traded in camp to a team that loses a key running back to injury. He will help EDC recoup that 6th round pick he gave up.

Quote Originally Posted by tnsmith90 View Post
    Gus will be traded in camp to a team that loses a key running back to injury. He will help EDC recoup that 6th round pick he gave up.
    Granted that DeCosta can evidently conjure a draft pick from nothing: but today I dont see any trade market for Gus. I think he has more value to the Ravens as a player, than he does to any other team as a prospect.

I just dont see anyone trading for an UDFA RB, who hasn't really produced anything -- esp when the production he has had has been tied to Lamar's option threat. Other teams are going to view Gus as completely fungible.

Justice might have trade value. Gus has none (I suspect).